• Old Rockingham Junction Station is getting some TLC

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by truman

Acting on a tip, I went down to Rockingham Jct. The privately owned station is getting some desperately needed TLC. Working their way around the building, the foundation walls are being replaced with new "old" brick, several basement windows have been replaced with modern ones. The wood sills are being replaced with new timbers, and it looks like the slate roof has had some attention as well.
Somebody with a digital camera get down there and post some photo's.

by NellsChoo

No kidding? Geesh... I wonder if it was sold again! Unless the repairs are older than you think... but new work would be great!

by truman

No, the repairs are current, progressing slowly but surely. I spoke to the guy, His name is Sean ... something. He's no hack, either. Presently jacking up walls and putting a new foundation under it using old brick for that period look and pressure treated timbers to replace the rotting sills. You'll never notice when its done. The only thing that looks out of place is the modern basement level windows.

by NellsChoo

That's good, then! Thumbs up!

by Finch

I went down to Rockingham Jct. to poke around a couple weeks ago. Got a picture for you guys.

Shouldn't be too difficult to get a picture or two from different angles if anyone is interested, though you might have to wait a couple weeks.

by Rockingham Racer

That would make a great transfer place for points east when the Portsmouth commuter rail starts. :-)

by truman

Rockingham Racer wrote:That would make a great transfer place for points east when the Portsmouth commuter rail starts. :-)
Why stop there? Put the whole branch back in. Rte's 101, 33, and 4 are choked off twice daily. It would be a nice way to get to the airport in Manchester. Later next century maybe.

by thomas81z

i live down the street from the junction so i will take some pics if everybody still wants :-D

by Jonny Bolt

truman wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:That would make a great transfer place for points east when the Portsmouth commuter rail starts. :-)
Why stop there? Put the whole branch back in. Rte's 101, 33, and 4 are choked off twice daily. It would be a nice way to get to the airport in Manchester. Later next century maybe.
Here-ye, here-ye! Vote Truman for higher office!

Why rebuild and bring the rail back, when you can build more cars and sell more gas and fill the roads up? The wealthy white man has a vested interest in all these things, and a lot of them hold positions of power (higher office). Why would they vote/move to revive rail? Less cars means less gas consumption, and that means less profiteering for wealthy white man in America. He wants you to use what he has invested in.

;)

by Otto Vondrak

Let's try to stay on topic of the station restoration, please.

-otto-

by truman

thomas81z wrote:i live down the street from the junction so i will take some pics if everybody still wants :-D

That would be good, just be sure and stay off of uncle Finks property.
Hows it look? I haven't been down that way in a while.

by thomas81z

they just poured the foundation in the building monday it looks nice

by NellsChoo

IN the building??

by thomas81z

NellsChoo wrote:IN the building??
yep in the building
  by truman

Went by there last night on Rte 108, looks like some new doors and windows going in, and I thought I saw some tyvek on the walls.