• Old Rockingham Junction Station is getting some TLC

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by thomas81z

Finch wrote:thomas81z - wasn't it you who told me one day down at Rockingham Jct. that the old station house will be converted into a bike shop?
hey finch yea thats what i heard but since then its gone by the boards , i think ice cream shop or office is most likly , the laid out the property lines in blaze orange last week so i think they are starting the septic work soon, see you when school starts :-D
  by Finch

thomas81z wrote:
Finch wrote:thomas81z - wasn't it you who told me one day down at Rockingham Jct. that the old station house will be converted into a bike shop?
hey finch yea thats what i heard but since then its gone by the boards , i think ice cream shop or office is most likly , the laid out the property lines in blaze orange last week so i think they are starting the septic work soon, see you when school starts :-D
Well, I'm hoping for ice cream shop then. :P I can see it now...ride down from UNH, grab an ice cream cone, and watch the parade!
  by wembley

I dunno how well an ice cream stand would work out. It would be nice having a place to get ice cream less than two miles from my house, but, there was a small seasonal ice cream stand at The Space Station (storage facility on the Newfields side of the ROW) for a long time, and they eventually removed the trailer after a few years of low sales. There is really no "destination" there, except for the athletic club (not really gonna be interested in ice cream) and the country club.

Here's hoping, though! I wonder how we could arrange for a flag stop for the Downeaster there :)

-Wembley
  by Finch

Yeah, it is a sort of random location...for any use really, except a railroad station. :-D

One thing I can think of is that the station guards the entrance to a sizable conservation area. Every time I'm down there I see multiple people going in and out on bikes or on foot (an old railroad ROW, as it happens, but I don't know anything about it). Maybe they would appreciate an ice cream cone after their vigorous activity. Heck, call it the "Choo Choo Scoop" or something, post the train schedule, put up a sturdy fence to keep people from doing anything stupid, and watch the money roll in! OK, I made up that last one. But I can dream, right?

If they put in a pedestrian bridge over the tracks it would be accessible from the south/east. I've witnessed two women pushing/lifting a child in a stroller over the tracks, just minutes before a Downeaster came through at track speed (70 mph or so). I don't really want to see any more of that. Any business that is designed to attract the general public will have a problem on their hands if they're not careful.
  by Boston-and-Maine

Finch wrote:Every time I'm down there I see multiple people going in and out on bikes or on foot (an old railroad ROW, as it happens, but I don't know anything about it).
Hmm, I am not sure how much business anything would get there... FYI, that is the other half of the Portsmouth Branch; it goes to Manchester, NH...
  by thomas81z

Finch wrote:Yeah, it is a sort of random location...for any use really, except a railroad station. :-D

If they put in a pedestrian bridge over the tracks it would be accessible from the south/east. I've witnessed two women pushing/lifting a child in a stroller over the tracks, just minutes before a Downeaster came through at track speed (70 mph or so)..
finch my son has took a pic of just the same thing infact you mite have been there , but it is unreal
  by NHN503

thomas81z wrote:
Finch wrote:Yeah, it is a sort of random location...for any use really, except a railroad station. :-D

If they put in a pedestrian bridge over the tracks it would be accessible from the south/east. I've witnessed two women pushing/lifting a child in a stroller over the tracks, just minutes before a Downeaster came through at track speed (70 mph or so)..
finch my son has took a pic of just the same thing infact you mite have been there , but it is unreal

Delt with the same thing about a week ago. Was down there and some dumbass with his toddler in one of those tow behind bike trailers was trying to drag it over the railroad tracks. I said something to him and he apparently did not like it. The guy was pretty dumb, his excuse for trespassing, and putting his kids life in danger was that "its a public trail" and that he "couldn't read the trespassing signs from where he was standing"......my comment that apparently he needed a sign to point out the rails to him would be solved via Darwinism, set him off. :-D
  by truman

Ian MacMillan wrote:

Delt with the same thing about a week ago. Was down there and some dummy with his toddler in one of those tow behind bike trailers was trying to drag it over the railroad tracks. I said something to him and he apparently did not like it. The guy was pretty dumb, his excuse for trespassing, and putting his kids life in danger was that "its a public trail" and that he "couldn't read the trespassing signs from where he was standing"......my comment that apparently he needed a sign to point out the rails to him would be solved via Darwinism, set him off. :-D
[/quote][/quote]

I thought it was common knowledge that the "public trail" ended at the station? There was a sign (long gone now) there that said " end of rail trail, private property,turn around here", etc, right by the station building. Since the Fish and Game dept .has been working down there to improve the wheeled vehicle restriction gate, maybe they would be receptive to replacing that sign. As for your "friend" perhaps he needs one of those signs from that Jeff Foxworthy guy.