• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bpiche84

shadyjay wrote:The third locomotive that came over on the same ship from China as VRR 1647 and what would become "NH" 3025 has a mechanical stoker. It was built by Daytong (sp?) in China and went to the Boone & Scenic Valley RR in Iowa.
That 2-8-2 is a JS, not an SY. JS Mikados were designed for mainline operations, hence the stoker.
  by Seeknay

Does anybody know what is going on with the motive power? I've noticed the diesel switchers have been pulling the daily trains the past few weeks? Is this just for regular maintenance for 3025 or is there something more serious? How about 40? I thought if 3025 was out for service 40 would be the backup.
  by Brendan

Engine 40 has not been finished yet, but is really close, so the diesels have had to run a few times during boiler washes. The RR decided to do wheel and running gear work on the engine over the winter. So just a few days after the Christmas season 40 went in the shop, up on the jacks and the wheels came out and were shipped to PA for new ties and turning. But as usual it has taken longer than thought. They thought it would be ready for the 7 day a week schedule time but didn't make it. Tuesday the engine was jacked up and the wheels went back in. Now the brake rigging needs to go on, and 40 should be hitting the rails soon. The idea, of getting 3025 on the roster was to always have 2 engines running and one being overhauled. but 40 is due for its 1472 day work, this year. but instead of doing all the work in one go, they opted for doing running gear last winter and the boiler work this coming winter. But rarely does anything in the restoration world, go as planned. I figure, when 40 is done they will start on 97. and in the mean time the FVRR is still picking away at engine 2. along with assisting work on engine 40 and the train sets. Always lots to do and not enough time and money to get it all done. But hopefully by 3025's next boiler wash, 40 will be able to take the load and leave the diesels for dinner train and switching. Brendan
  by fl9m2004

Any news on 40
I remember 2 years ago before 3025 was there 40 has a great whistle
That's my personal opinion
Hopefully soon 97 will come back to pull trains
Is the Fp7's 6690-6691 still there?
  by shadyjay

40 is back in service as of today... heard its whistle all day. yesterday it went out for a test ride, doubleheaded with 3025

97's overhaul has not yet started

6690/6691 were never at the VRR (except in 1991 for the 20th anniversary weekend). They were at the Naugatuck Railroad up in Thomaston and were sold to the Galveston Railroad Museum in Texas, where they now wear Santa Fe paint.
  by fl9m2004

My mistake regarding where the cdot's used to be
I'm sure after the busy season the shop will hopefully start the work on 97
I would send it to Steamtown or Strasburg to get it ready
That's good having 2 steam engines ready in service
  by Brendan

Great to see and hear 40 back on the rails again. The Valley will use 40 and 3025 for the rest of the season, sharing the work, but 40 is due for its 1472 inspection end of this year. As I mentioned a few posts back, they split up the work doing the running gear work this year and the boiler and tubes work is planed for this coming winter after Christmas trains are done. So I would not expect 97 to be started until after 40s work is done next year. But that shop in Essex is one busy place, more car work continues there, on both freight cars and more passenger cars being restored and all the regular shop maintenance on all the rolling stock. One thing I love about the Valley RR is that every piece of RR equipment on the property rolls. Nothing is just static display. And that takes a lot more work than just making it look good.
  by Noel Weaver

fl9m2004 wrote:I would send it to Steamtown or Strasburg to get it ready
I wouldn't send anything to steamtown with the idea that anything would be done. They can't seem to even get one steam engine operating this summer.
Noel Weaver
  by onehandfireman

I would send it to Steamtown or Strasburg to get it ready
You writing the check? The Valley shop crew has the capability, be patient, it all takes time and cubic dollars. What on earth would be accomplished by sending out a locomotive when you have the ability in house that is proven? Just the transportation cost alone would pay for lots of in house work.
  by Reader#108

Whyin God's green earth would you send anything out down there when

you have a guy like Dave Conrad running things!

I have heard that it will be 40 this winter, then start 97

and a continued tinkering with the deuce.....
  by CVRA7

Thanks for sharing that, Lee.
Good to see 40 "back in the saddle again" .... or something like that.
  by VALE40

Would anyone be able to expand a little bit about the excursions Valley RR ran on the P&W line in the early 1990's? I've been on YouTube and it seems that there were multiple runs as 1647 is wearing two different paint schemes, one with red drivers another without. What prompted the Valley to run these trips?