• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by H.F.Malone

Why was Trk 7 extension removed? Seems like that was a good "right out front" display spot.
  by Cosmo

1) The ties that came from track 7 went further North to the Haddam Meadows [now "Light Duty" former OOS] trackage for the area between the SP entrance to the new dump crossing.
2) The ties for North of Goodspeed came from a DOT project and were donated by the state to VRR for repair of the State owned trackage.
3) Track 7 was shortened because the entrance-way from Rt 154 all the way into the neighboring Witch Hazel Works property has now been paved, including the crossings at the North end of the platform at SX.
  by Brendan

The Valley got hundreds of ties from the state this year, I think around 7-8 hundred. Not entirely free, There was a cost to the RR for having them de-plated and delivered from were they were being stock piled in Middletown yard. 150 were used to extend the line north and move the stop pole about an 1/8 mile. The rest were installed on the main. In some places increasing class 1 sections to class 2, in others just to help maintain class 2. Between the volunteers and the payed track crews all the ties from the state were installed with in only a few months plus some 200 more the the RR had Bought new this year. Not Bad!
That north end of track 7 has not been used in years do to the fact it obstructed the line-of-view of motorists at the north crossing there. So when the entry was paved and there was new crossings installed on the main and passing tracks this year, track 7 was cut back to the other side of the drive by the steam roller.
Some ties have gone to Haddam to maintain track up by the state park there. We have been giving track car and hirail rides on that section annually at the tractor shows for around 8 years now, so those lightly used sections need maintenance too. Also of note a new crossing was also installed at the Haddam transfer station just north of the park opening up another mile and a half to the north for use. that crossing had been paved over for many years.
  by NRGeep

What is the history of the Essex-Old Saybrook stretch of track? Does anything besides the 1st Sat of the month special, hirail and track cars run on it these days?
  by shadyjay

NRGeep wrote:What is the history of the Essex-Old Saybrook stretch of track? Does anything besides the 1st Sat of the month special, hirail and track cars run on it these days?
Actually, that's the most that's been on that track since 1996 when it saw daily service due to the truncated "Broadway Limited" from June until October of that year. It was interesting trying to make up a narration for that section of track. Prior to that, last regular service was in the early 1980s when the Amtrak connection was running. Also for a time in the early 90s, I believe, the dinner train ran that way. But outside of the occasional special, any work trains/incoming-outgoing cars, etc, not much else. Truthfully, there isn't much to see on that 4 mile stretch, but its pretty crucial as its the Valley's only connection to the outside world.

During my time there during the mid 1990s-early 2001, we ran a handful of specials down there. In addition to the aforementioned "Broadway Limited", we ran jazz festival trains there, plus the occasional special train which traversed the entire length of the line. One night in '94, we ran from Essex south to Saybrook, north to Broadway, south to Saybrook, then back to Essex. That was a LONGGGGG night. On another trip, we actually ran right onto the north leg of the wye and had an Amtrak special coming in on what is now Track 5. Passengers walked across the gravel in the space between the wye and the old tower location. Too bad something like that would be a challenge today... if the westbound platform had been built adjacent to Track 5, it would have permitted an easy walk to the north leg of the wye, but you'd lose a platformed track.
  by VALE40

I was down at the Valley RR on 10-14 and saw 3025 working. I was just wondering if anyone knew what whistle is being used on her. It sounded familiar but not like the New Haven whistle she had a few months back. However, my ears very well could be shot...

On a different note, does anyone know what the plans are with 97? Anything happening with her this winter in terms of visiting the shop?

97's 1472 brought me to another question which involves 3025. When 97 is back in service (I realize it may be awhile down the line, no pun intended) what happens to 3025...hopefully staying and living a happy life at the Valley?
  by Brendan

There is a bit more that that on the track from Essex south these days. The Thomas shuttle train runs south as far as Lee Co. station and so does the circus train that puts about 80 plus trips a year down there. So recently we upgraded the tie work to class 2 in that stretch do to the number of trains. Also the "your hand on the throttle" or HOT runs down to Saybrook in the spring and fall. Plus every time 3025 has been turned witch seams like every few months these days, it has to go to Old Saybrook and take a trip around the Y. Other charters like the NHHS in September and special event trains run that way on occasion too.
  by ebtmikado

NORTH POLE EXPRESS Season begins tomorrow!

Each NPE day: Nov. 16, 17, 18, then Nov. 23 and daily except Monday through Dec. 23, both engines will be operating every evening.
A great time to see both engines, get some interesting night photos, and witness the meeting of both trains at Essex and Deep River.
  by fl9m2004

Went on the Valley Railroad this past May
Was really nice weather
Engine was 3025 tender first toward Deep River
3025 was really good
Nice horn and lettering in New Haven on tender
Saw 40 conductor said should be ready for Christmas time
  by VALE40

Does anyone know (or know where I can find out) if Valley 1647 had a mechanical stoker (autofeed)? Does anyone know if 3025 has this feature? Or are both of these engines only hand fired when built by TangShang? I remember someone saying something about 1647 having one but it was a very long time ago and not the most credible source. Thanks!
  by H.F.Malone

None of the SY 2-8-2s imported to the US had/have stokers-- not VRR 1647 or "NH 3025". In China, the SY class is primarily an industrial locomotive. The Chinese copies of US Standard HT mechanical stokers were used on the 2-10-2 road engines, and possibly the larger 2-8-2s used in road service. At least one US steam locomotive is equipped with an imported Chinese stoker: Western Maryland Scenic Railway 2-8-0 #734.
  by shadyjay

The third locomotive that came over on the same ship from China as VRR 1647 and what would become "NH" 3025 has a mechanical stoker. It was built by Daytong (sp?) in China and went to the Boone & Scenic Valley RR in Iowa.