• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Sirsonic

The "Bayway Undertaking" was the original agreement that allowed the M&E to use a small portion of the SIRY to access the new yard that supported the plastic facility. Conoco is, or was, looking for a way to get their outbound cars to another carrier, however, they have overlooked the fact that there is no interchange agreement in place with CR, NS, or CSX at any location. As such, Conoco remains a Conrail customer, and the SIRY is a large parking lot.
  by crnrailal

Noticed on my way to work this morning that looks like some of the brush has been cleared off the ROW next to Baltustrol Road by entrance to Troy Hill Village Apartments. This is just past where you go under Route 78.

There has not been any activity beyond that next to the driveway that goes up to to the Troy Hill Village Apartments.

I know that the funding has not been appropriated yet. Any chance that this may be imminent?
  by rvrrhs

crnrailal wrote:Noticed on my way to work this morning that looks like some of the brush has been cleared off the ROW next to Baltustrol Road by entrance to Troy Hill Village Apartments. This is just past where you go under Route 78.

There has not been any activity beyond that next to the driveway that goes up to to the Troy Hill Village Apartments.

I know that the funding has not been appropriated yet. Any chance that this may be imminent?
crnrailal, What you saw is not "activity."

On the south/east side of Baltusrol Way, at the bottom of Troy Drive, some house painter/paperhanger guy who lives down the block (on Bryant Ave.) has cleared about 50 yards of the ROW from the street to his backyard. He uses it to park his business vehicles. Before the PGA championship last year at Baltusrol Golf Club, he laid gravel so he could charge people to park on the ROW during the tournament. I'm guessing not one cent of that money went to the town, county, state, NJDOT, IRS, or Morristown & Erie.

No, there is no chance that funding is imminent...unfortunately.

by cjl330

Crnrailal is referring to the other side of Baltusrol Way, the ROW going under Route 78. The brush has been cut down to the ground, and it was done within the past couple of days.

by rvrrhs

Then he is referring to brush cutting done for the electric poles along the ROW...

However, the answer is still no, there is no further work being done on the restoration of the rail line.

by cjl330

I thought the same thing regarding the power lines. The thing is, there are no power lines there. The brush, weeds, etc. were cut down to ground level under the Route 78 bridge. Maybe some landscaper who's a railfan donated their services.

by rvrrhs

I'll have to remember to take some pix with my camera-phone, and try to upload them. Then we'll see if everybody is talking about the same thing...
  by Don Maxton

There's an article in today's Union Leader discussing the removal of the Rahway Valley Bridge over Morris Ave. in Union. Here's the link:

http://www.localsource.com/articles/200 ... 461061.txt

It looks as if Morristown & Erie has plans to replace the bridge:

When improvements on Morris Avenue are completed in the area, the project manager said, the railway company will put up a higher and longer bridge over the  span of the roadway.
  by dlw1151

Don Maxton wrote:There's an article in today's Union Leader discussing the removal of the Rahway Valley Bridge over Morris Ave. in Union. Here's the link:

When improvements on Morris Avenue are completed in the area, the project manager said, the railway company will put up a higher and longer bridge over the  span of the roadway.

They may replace the bridge or put it back up, but that doesn't mean that Rahway valley line will get restored. The article said nothing on the restoration of the rail line.
  by rvrrhs

dlw1151 wrote:
Don Maxton wrote:There's an article in today's Union Leader discussing the removal of the Rahway Valley Bridge over Morris Ave. in Union. Here's the link:

They may replace the bridge or put it back up, but that doesn't mean that Rahway valley line will get restored. The article said nothing on the restoration of the rail line.
So...uh...the railroad firm hired to restore the line is going to replace the bridge WHY?

by rvrrhs

That the bridge will be replaced is actually good news. Many of you will recall that there was a plan floated to change to an at-grade crossing!!!
  by Don Maxton

Frankly, I'm surprised that the M&E plans to replace the bridge, because I don't think there are any potential customers on the other side of Morris Avenue--or at least not right now. Maybe they'll need the bridge to make moves onto Jaeger's siding?

by MarkRouters

If they don't put the bridge back maybe the train can jump it, Dukes of Hazard style.

by dlw1151

MarkRouters wrote:If they don't put the bridge back maybe the train can jump it, Dukes of Hazard style.

LOL, It is refreshing to know some people have a sense of humor. :P

by Tri-State Tom

Don -

" Frankly, I'm surprised that the M&E plans to replace the bridge "

Not their decision to make. It's the County's call.