• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

2203 is also receiving some cosmetic work, particularly on the nose and cab, which will help to give it a less-rusty look until a complete exterior repaint can be done.
When they do the complete repaint at some point in the future, what paint scheme will they be using? Conrail's scheme would be appropriate, considering that Conrail was the original owner of this locomotive; on the other hand, P&W owned it for a long time, so P&W's scheme would be appropriate as well. Or they could come up with a totally new Naugatuck Railroad paint scheme (such as what Conway Scenic did with their U23B). Anyone know what the plan is?
  by Otto Vondrak

MEC407 wrote:
2203 is also receiving some cosmetic work, particularly on the nose and cab, which will help to give it a less-rusty look until a complete exterior repaint can be done.
When they do the complete repaint at some point in the future, what paint scheme will they be using? Conrail's scheme would be appropriate, considering that Conrail was the original owner of this locomotive; on the other hand, P&W owned it for a long time, so P&W's scheme would be appropriate as well. Or they could come up with a totally new Naugatuck Railroad paint scheme (such as what Conway Scenic did with their U23B). Anyone know what the plan is?

Oh no. The Great Paint Debate!! Paint, paint, paint. Honestly, I don't think the biggest debate is what paint scheme but where will the money come from to give it the high-quality paint job it deserves? I'd say, whoever shows up with the biggest donation check wins...

My opinion matters little, but for a railroad looking to evoke a historic mid-20th century feeling, Conrail and P&W would not generally fit... I'd like to see a Naugatuck paint scheme in the style of New Haven 2525, but I think I'm in the minority... and my donation check is rather lacking...

-otto-
just a guy who sometimes volunteers at MP 6
  by Jack Powell

Otto Vondrak wrote: Oh no. The Great Paint Debate!! Paint, paint, paint. Honestly, I don't think the biggest debate is what paint scheme but where will the money come from to give it the high-quality paint job it deserves? I'd say, whoever shows up with the biggest donation check wins... My opinion matters little, but for a railroad looking to evoke a historic mid-20th century feeling, Conrail and P&W would not generally fit... I'd like to see a Naugatuck paint scheme in the style of New Haven 2525
This was discussed in this forum several months ago, and it was never made clear by any official RMNE source whether the 2203 is held as an historic artifact within the RMNE collection (in which case accepted museum practices dictate that it be presented in one or another of its pre-preservation states, i.e., Conrail or P&W), or if it is instead simply an item of capital stock, used so as to limit wear and tear on actual artifacts like New Haven 529 and, as such, essentially disposable in due course should circumstances warrant. If the latter, any paint scheme applied is of no consequence from a collections management perspective (although any "fakery" that leaves the public confused should be avoided).

While the earlier discussion veered off into speculation, against an absence of standards, as to whether Conrail or P&W would "allow" the locomotive to be painted in the identity of either (or has any right to not allow it), the fundamental question of its status, which could be dispositive of such questions, remains unclear. It's also worth noting that an accurate restoration to its Conrail appearance would require replacing its current trucks with those of the type with which it was built and ran on during that era - not impossible, but rather more expensive than paint.

As the last locomotive purchased new by Conrail (if I recall correctly), 2203 may be perceived by some as historically significant. Whether it is historically significant within the focus and scope of the RMNE collection, which you correctly perceive as very strongly mid-20th century (and earlier), is a different matter.
  by H.F.Malone

2203 was the last U-series locomotive built by GE, and was the last unit of Conrail's first order for new locomotives, July 1977.

Perhaps a simple all-black, with yellow handrails and small white "NR" initials on the nose and side of long hood? It worked for PC....
  by MEC407

In regards to whether Conrail or P&W would allow it to be repainted into their paint schemes, I suspect that they wouldn't put up too much of a fight. As an example of how other companies have handled such situations: Pan Am allowed Conway Scenic to use the Maine Central paint scheme... and in the pre-Pan Am days, Guilford allowed CSRR to use MEC and B&M schemes and logos, and allowed the Niagara & Western New York to use the MEC scheme.

For an even more relevant example, there is a museum that has a GP30 that has been fully repainted in Conrail livery. Sorry I can't remember the name of the organization, but there are photos of that locomotive all over the web.

Utilitarian as it may have been, I can think of worse things than to have the 2203 repainted and renumbered to its original look:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=224954

It did spend a lot of time in New England and the northeast during its Conrail career, and as the last Universal Series locomotive built for a domestic railroad, it certainly is a piece of U.S. diesel-electric locomotive history. I have no idea if any of that influenced RMNE's decision to purchase it, or if it was simply a good unit available at a good price... but regardless, it's an interesting locomotive.
  by Otto Vondrak

H.F.Malone wrote:Perhaps a simple all-black, with yellow handrails and small white "NR" initials on the nose and side of long hood? It worked for PC....
What I enjoy most about volunteering at RMNE is Mr. Malone's sense of humor. :-) (Before Dylan gets any ideas)
  by H.F.Malone

Nice shot, isn't it? Taken by the master of B&A photographers, and who is now one of 2203/2798's engineers. A print of this shot is taped up in 2203's cab.

The pedigree of P&W 2203 was well-known when RMNE went after it.

The CR GP30 is in the Pa. State RR Museum in Strasburg; it is a static display. The unit was donated by its owner after Conrail, and the museum contracted with Altoona to do the paint and restoration of it.

PC black is pretty simple. Elegant, too. And Douglas would probably like it. And the loco will pull just as well as it would in a fancy, expensive paint arrangement. Yeah, do like M. P. Jagger said: "Paint it black! Black as night! Black as coal!"
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

H.F.Malone wrote:PC black is pretty simple. Elegant, too. And Douglas would probably like it. And the loco will pull just as well as it would in a fancy, expensive paint arrangement. Yeah, do like M. P. Jagger said: "Paint it black! Black as night! Black as coal!"

This HAS been discussed at great length here! I say, HELL YEAH! Go for it! If it is the correct original paint scheme, then you can't really go wrong, can you? Pull the trigger already! HA, HA!
  by CannaScrews

Black is nice - but who is going to come up with the "worms-in-heat" design for the NR?????
  by MEC407

Paint it in CN colors and create an NR "noodle" :wink:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Put the rotten tomatoes down.

I vote for Conrail. It's historically accurate, it's not very difficult to replicate (no complicated patterns/masking), it doesn't require costly multiple colors, it's appropriate to the region, and it's a fallen flag that seems to be a bit underrepresented on the tourist/museum scene at the moment.

I'll mail in my check as soon as I get a few other bills paid first.
  by CannaScrews

MEC407 wrote: I vote for Conrail.
But what will the paying public think. CON-rail is that like Con-Air? (a movie about convicts taking over a plane - maybe not so bad - we can resurrect the hold-up of the train without the cowboys..... heh,heh).

Seriously, since the audience is the general public how should an artifact or "cannon fodder" be presented.

I have no problem with the patron providing the funds to restore/paint a loco (or passenger or freight car) to her/his liking as long as the funds cover what is needed and is within good taste. As with any donation, there is a fair amount of give and take before the gift is made with the approval of the operating management AND the Trustees.

It is my impression that an artifact would be presented to the public by a donation of funds from a patron would be a collaboration of the museum/historical association and the potential donor.

It is ultimately up to the trustees/directors to accept or forgo any funding.

That said - maybe some artistic types can come up with a suitable design/paint scheme which will reflect the service the 2203 is and will be in.

Ciao
Yum Sing
  by Otto Vondrak

May Order Board, Second Section has been posted. Lots of work to be done before opening weekend and the visit of Flagg Coal #75!

http://naugy.blogspot.com/2011/05/may-o ... ction.html

-otto-
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Former CDOT F7's 6690 and 6691 were handed over to Guilford at Highland Junction today at around 2:30 pm and are on their way to a new home.