Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Steamboat Willie

As per fleet management, they are removed from service but are deemed usable. Train 1520 was supposedly the last scheduled revenue train. It's labor intensive to keep them in service if they have to be buried. I won't miss the triplets as they always were riddled with problems, the bathrooms were atrocious, and were run into the ground.
  by NH2060

Steamboat Willie wrote:Train 1520 was supposedly the last scheduled revenue train.
That must have been the train I saw then. Looked like it had about 6 cars or so. Rather unceremonious last run -and in the middle of the day to boot- compared to the last bar car train.
  by SeanW

Hi everyone,

I may be in this region around August, is it likely there will still be any M2s running at that time?

What exactly was meant by the poster above who said something about "the Meadows in Hartford"?
  by DutchRailnut

slim to none
  by Jeff Smith

The Meadows is an outdoor amphitheater just north of Hartford. It has a rail yard immediately next door (Connecticut Southern?). This is the route the cars take to the scrapper; They usually sit there for a few days.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

These days the Meadows is known as the Xfinity Theatre (It's had about 5 names in the last 15 years...) but most people in Connecticut will generally know what you're talking about when you call it the Meadows - CSOR's yard adjacent to the parking area for the venue is located in the North Meadows section of Hartford.
  by Ridgefielder

NH2060 wrote:
Steamboat Willie wrote:Train 1520 was supposedly the last scheduled revenue train.
That must have been the train I saw then. Looked like it had about 6 cars or so. Rather unceremonious last run -and in the middle of the day to boot- compared to the last bar car train.
The bar cars were a beloved institution for many Fairfield County commuters. The triplets... not so much. :wink:
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Hartford Yard's got a lot of easy vantage points along the perimeter for taking pics. It's a good railfanning spot, so the cars should be readily visible for however long they're parked in Hartford.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

jackintosh11 wrote:Any word on how long the M2s will remain available?
Again, Jackintosh...this is not the M2 thread, and nobody knows...so the answer you got on the last page of this discussion "Until they're no longer needed" is probably about the best you're going to get.

I would suggest you get to New Haven sooner rather than later for pictures - I bet the M2s will get as much pomp and circumstance as the 4s and 6s did on their last run - a post here after the fact
  by Jeff Smith

Put the M2's up in the Meadows for LAW or M203 practice ;-)

Any over/under on how long they'll be safe from scroungers and souvenir hunters?
  by Backshophoss

Put the remaining M-2's at E.Bridgeport Yard for storage,might be the only "secure" place,
seems all the wreck remains wind up there!
  by Bill D

A set of M2's, headed by 8735, on train #1541 at Grand Central Wednesday morning.

by Noel Weaver

Just got off the phone with a friend from Connecticut who rode yesterday (Wednesday, October 7th) from Stamford to New York and return and he said he saw a 10 car set of M-2's on the road that day. This is from a good friend, for what it's worth.
Noel Weaver