Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1352590  by Steamboat Willie

This has extensively been mentioned before but I want to reiterate here: good riddance to the M2/4/6's. They were in horrible condition towards the end cosmetically and operationally. Floors were falling through, ceilings were prone to leaks, roaches, HVAC issues, cars dead in tow, bathrooms were shot, decades of slime and grime on the seats, etc. The M8's, while having have their short comings are of preference to the riding public and 99% of our T&E workforce, minus the 1% of the select few rail buffs.
 #1352594  by Noel Weaver

I can certainly can agree with everything said here regarding the age and condition of these things. In short they don't owe the railroad anything. I never ever thought they would last this many years when they first came on the scene back in the early 70's. I thought they were supposed to be retired long before now but my friend (his identity has to remain private at this time) told me they were supposed to be all off the road before now. I only posted this one to bring it to the attention here of those who might be interested in this subject.
Noel Weaver
 #1352643  by Jeff Smith

Let's not forget the CSR program that extended the life of these; kind of a mini-rebuild done on site. They definitely served long, if not distinguished, lives. I'm somewhat surprised they kept three sets in reserve; CtDOT and NYS in hindsight should have ordered more 8's, but I guess they felt they had enough to tide them over while RFP's are out for the next NH/GCT and potentially NYP fleet addition.
 #1352651  by Steamboat Willie

Jeff, there were a few variables that did them in: expanded service, a few harsh winters where I believe it was 2010 that 40% of the fleet was shopped, and the fact the M8's were on the horizon they only did as much as to keep them rolling. When the shop count is high, not only are consists shorted but the cycles that they are in they barely find any window to be serviced other than what is mandated. It was quite a scene to pull into New Haven and the entire yard and alley (track 6 in the station) are filled with shoppers reminiscing a view of Larry's Truck & Electric junk yard.

Enjoy your photos or the few rare opportunities you see them on the road. Believe me, the first thing that comes to mind if you have to work on these when you go to the block at GCT or in the yard, "this old **** again!"
 #1352659  by Ridgefielder

Steamboat Willie wrote:Enjoy your photos or the few rare opportunities you see them on the road. Believe me, the first thing that comes to mind if you have to work on these when you go to the block at GCT or in the yard, "this old **** again!"
Speaking as a passenger, I'd say that's the first thing that comes to mind when you walk through the gate at GCT and see a set, too! :-D
 #1352665  by YamaOfParadise

+1. I remember about a year ago, I had missed my NE Regional from DC up to New Haven (which was one of last of the evening), so I took an Acela to NYP and then took Metro-North back. Needless to say, it wasn't the most welcoming sight.
 #1352672  by Jeff Smith

When the odds first became better than even that you'd get an 8 set instead of Cosmopolitan I'd often consider going to the station master's office and asking what was assigned to the next train LOL.
 #1352691  by Jeff Smith

Thanks, I did know that. I've seen older versions of turn schedules, etc. If you're a regular enough commuter, you get to know what equipment runs a certain train. I haven't been that since early 2001, when I could always count on a diesel consist from Stamford for a certain run (likely a Danbury maxi). Always had seats in the head end, and you could always count on an Upper Level arrival on the Vanderbilt side of the terminal.
 #1352895  by Tadman

Ridgefielder wrote:
Steamboat Willie wrote:Enjoy your photos or the few rare opportunities you see them on the road. Believe me, the first thing that comes to mind if you have to work on these when you go to the block at GCT or in the yard, "this old **** again!"
Speaking as a passenger, I'd say that's the first thing that comes to mind when you walk through the gate at GCT and see a set, too! :-D
You bet. I ride CTA to work every day. For the last five years, I've dreaded seeing the old cars pull up to the station because you knew something would go wrong - air conditioning, heat, doors, etc... it was always something. If the air died, you got to work soaking through your suit. Nothing like wrecking a shirt because the railroad can't keep the AC running.

I love seeing new cars - they're quiet and functional. If you ride 520 times/year, that's a big plus.
 #1359990  by Travelsonic

Today, I saw one of the remaining M2 consists while heading S/B on I95, and happened to notice that it is now down to 6 cars (3 pairs)

The other day, I saw both consists heading home from Manhattan, one was 8 cars (4 pairs), the other, well, was hard to tell if it was also 8 cars, or had been reduced to 6 cars.
 #1359991  by DutchRailnut

most of time it is pair - triplet- triplet - pair, there are 3 x 8 car spare (standby) sets and now a few sets are being created for Harlem/hudson use so M-7's can be equipped with camera's.
One in cab and 4 in each passenger part of car.
 #1359999  by truck6018

The M7 pair I've seen has plates for approx 10 cameras in the passenger compartment. Places included: ceiling adjacent to each side door, one on the ceiling outside of cab, mounted on B-end wall, outer wall of bathroom enclosure in B-cars... That's all I remember at the moment.
 #1360001  by DutchRailnut

actually plans are for one camera in corner over fireman's seat, and four in destination signs at vestibules.