• Off-the-Shelf HSR on the cheap

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Lucius Kwok

I'm thinking of how it would be possible to build High Speed Rail using existing, proven components that can essentially be bought "off-the-shelf" and keeping the costs low. That excludes any technologies that are new or in testing. So what's available?

• First, we're going to be using existing ROW that has or at one time had double track, and which already has a signal system in place. That excludes the idea of building an all-new ROW.

• Cab signal systems: US&S makes inductive systems with coded track circuits, and upgrading the signal system can be done for $400,000 per track mile.

• Locomotives: ALP-46 ($4.7 milion in 2002) for electric, can be geared for 110, and NJT is running many of them. P42 for diesel, Amtrak already runs them at speeds up to 110 MPH. Or the PL-42 ($4.2 million in 2004) that NJT runs. The top speed isn't that impressive, be we're going to be concentrating on average speed, not top speed.

• Coaches: these would have to be tilting because we're going to use existing ROW which usually have many curves. LRC cars from Canada maybe.

• Track. Amtrak has a track-laying system that goes pretty fast and puts down concrete ties and CWR, and costs about $1 million per mile.

Anything else?

by Irish Chieftain

The ALP-46 in Germany (Deutsche Bahn's 101-class) operates at 137 mph with passenger trains. Such trains are not regarded as "high-speed" in that country. Per anecdotes I've received, the US version can equal the German version in performance.

AFAIK, cab signals per the FRA permit a top speed of 90 mph and no faster. There are Amtrak trains on BNSF that already operate at that level.
  by george matthews

Lucius Kwok wrote:• First, we're going to be using existing ROW that has or at one time had double track, and which already has a signal system in place. That excludes the idea of building an all-new ROW.
You really do have to eliminate all road crossings. They are the main real reason for limited permissable speed at present. Using existing rights of way can only allow medium speeds, and probably only with tilting trains.
Last edited by george matthews on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Irish Chieftain

You really do have to eliminate all road crossings. They are the main real reason for limited permissable speed at present
Not correct. Track speeds are maintained at railroad crossings. (Exceptions are on some main lines out west, where the towns impose a 40 mph speed through the municipality.)
  by amtrakhogger

Cab Signalled lines are allowed speeds up to 150 mph (with ACSES), 125 MPH without ACSES.
On BNSF (Santa Fe Lines) Max speed is 90 with ATS (Automatic Train Stop).
Max Speed with no cab signals/ATS is 79 mph.

by Lucius Kwok

The Amtrak Keystone Corridor is still using the antiquated 4-aspect cab signal system, as far as I know, and they're running at up to 110 MPH. Thanks for the info on the speed limites with various technologies.

It also has road crossings, but I believe they're on tracks limited to 90 MPH. The SE HSR project has been working on alternatives to complete grade separation, and they seem to be moving forward with their project.

The ALP-46's power seems to be wasted pulling Trenton locals on the NEC.

I'm looking at Canada, and they have a Montreal-Toronto train that averages 77.3 MPH, even though it's not a high-speed track. (I'm not sure, what's the top speed on that route?)