• NYS&W Easter Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by sullivan1985

Today and yesterday (Damn I missed it!!) is the NYS&W yearly easter train. Not sure whats it's built up with yet because I havn't seen it, buts its going between Suffern and Rutherford today with stops in Rutherford at 10:30, 12:30 & 2:30 with stops ant Glen Rock at 10:45, 12:45 & 2:45.

Have Fun. Apparetly it has all classic NYS&W coaches on it.
  by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:Today and yesterday (Damn I missed it!!) is the NYS&W yearly easter train. Not sure whats it's built up with yet because I havn't seen it, buts its going between Suffern and Rutherford today with stops in Rutherford at 10:30, 12:30 & 2:30 with stops ant Glen Rock at 10:45, 12:45 & 2:45.

I thought it was next weekend on Saturday and today was a different Easter Bunny train up in NY? Could be wrong though.
  by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:Today and yesterday (Damn I missed it!!) is the NYS&W yearly easter train. Not sure whats it's built up with yet because I havn't seen it, buts its going between Suffern and Rutherford today with stops in Rutherford at 10:30, 12:30 & 2:30 with stops ant Glen Rock at 10:45, 12:45 & 2:45.

I thought it was next weekend on Saturday and today was a different Easter Bunny train up in NY? Could be wrong though.
There may be one in NY next week, but the Bergen Line had one run by the NYS&W T&HS today and yesterday. Rode it to Suffern and back to rutherford on all the restored equiptment. Nice ride.

by nick11a

So it was today. They had the dates wrong then I guess on the RR.net events calender.

Sounds like a good time! Incidentally, I caught 4200 on Thursday at Convent Station.

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:So it was today. They had the dates wrong then I guess on the RR.net events calender.

Sounds like a good time! Incidentally, I caught 4200 on Thursday at Convent Station.
Nick,

What were doing at Convent Station?? That is my old stomping grounds :-D ....Do you go there often??

Thanks,
Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
nick11a wrote:So it was today. They had the dates wrong then I guess on the RR.net events calender.

Nick,

What were doing at Convent Station?? That is my old stomping grounds :-D ....Do you go there often??

Thanks,
Steve
I was on break last week. While I was very busy working and painting the interiors of my house in Berekely, I did find time for railfanning (mostly on the Gladstone). One of the things I did was go to Convent on Thursday morning to see (and catch on video) some crazy conductor blast through Convent on a deadhead run back to Dover. :wink:

And no, I'm not there all that often. I was surprised thought that it was only $2.00 round trip from Berkeley Heights though.

by Uzi-Cat

One of the things I did was go to Convent on Thursday morning to see (and catch on video) some crazy conductor blast through Convent on a deadhead run back to Dover. Wink
HUH? Crazy? Nick, I will have to tell you about what we did on my last westbound Sunday at Convent. It was funny. I also have stories about the 5007 on our westbounds.

2 bucks sounds about right for your round trip. You only get charged for one leg of the trip when you change direction like you did at Summit. That is actually a pretty good deal. If I wanted to take a round trip from Dover to Trenton, it would only cost what a round trip from trenton to NY costs. The Dover to NY portion is a freebee.

Nick, remember, come back when we have a 44 on the west end. It makes for a more impressive show.

Scott

by nick11a

wpdj61 wrote:
One of the things I did was go to Convent on Thursday morning to see (and catch on video) some crazy conductor blast through Convent on a deadhead run back to Dover. Wink
HUH? Crazy? Nick, I will have to tell you about what we did on my last westbound Sunday at Convent. It was funny. I also have stories about the 5007 on our westbounds.

2 bucks sounds about right for your round trip. You only get charged for one leg of the trip when you change direction like you did at Summit. That is actually a pretty good deal. If I wanted to take a round trip from Dover to Trenton, it would only cost what a round trip from trenton to NY costs. The Dover to NY portion is a freebee.

Nick, remember, come back when we have a 44 on the west end. It makes for a more impressive show.

Scott
Haha. I just wanted to get your attention Scott.

And yes, I rely on that one leg of the trip only every time I travel home from New Brunswick to Berkeley vice versa. I'm just surprised it was only two dollars. That's a pretty good deal.

And I'll be back in May or so so have the local police department all set to greet me. :-D Hopefully then you'll have a 44.

by NJ Vike

Still another chance for one:

http://www.vratrips.org/

by njt5140

NJ Vike wrote:Still another chance for one:

True, but it wont have the family friendly atmosphere, along with the old fashioned coaches with gift/snack car like the T&HS trips had.

by NJ Vike

njt5140 wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:Still another chance for one:

True, but it wont have the family friendly atmosphere, along with the old fashioned coaches with gift/snack car like the T&HS trips had.
Why won't it have the family friendly atmosphere?

by cjvrr

njt5140,

I am one of the Volunteers working on the trip and it will be a fun filled ride catered toward families. Not sure why you would say it is not family friendly. And while we will not have the vintage coaches the THS had we have requested a full set of the new Comet V coaches. Hopefully NJT will come through on that end of things. I have never taken part in a T&HS EB trip to compare, but perhaps I will in the future.

Chris Vitz, VRA member

by NJ Vike

cjvrr wrote:njt5140,

I am one of the Volunteers working on the trip and it will be a fun filled ride catered toward families. Not sure why you would say it is not family friendly. And while we will not have the vintage coaches the THS had we have requested a full set of the new Comet V coaches. Hopefully NJT will come through on that end of things. I have never taken part in a T&HS EB trip to compare, but perhaps I will in the future.

Chris Vitz, VRA member
Hello Chris,

I'm also a new member of the organization and unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this weekend due to a relative passing away. After metting you guys last week for the first time, I can't imagine the ride not being friendly as everyone I met there was. In fact, some of you are also members of the NYS&W T&H, like me :-)

I hope the rides go good that day. It seems that the early one has already sold out and the late one is close to selling out.

See you at the next meeting.

Ken

by nick11a

cjvrr wrote:njt5140,

Chris Vitz, VRA member
You requested Comet Vs? Well, there goes the whole trip. :wink:

Just kidding. Haha. The Comet Vs seem to work pretty well for the most part in solid sets despite some of their flaws. I'm just curious though what kind of train you'll get. Either A, NJT will comply with your request or B you'll just get a mixed set or Comet Is (but I should think they would provide you with newer equipment on this trip as they usually do on the excursion trips).

Of course, NJT rarely has their Comet Vs in solid sets (which baffles me- they have so many of them now that it wouldn't be all that hard to put them in solid sets). I did see one six car solid set working on the M&E last week but other than that, I haven't seen a whole lot of that lately at all. The MN Comet Vs are usually though in solid sets. I wonder if NJT will provide you with MN C5s. That would be interesting.