Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Easter Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#110217  by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:You requested Comet Vs? Well, there goes the whole trip. :wink:

Just kidding. Haha. The Comet Vs seem to work pretty well for the most part in solid sets despite some of their flaws. I'm just curious though what kind of train you'll get. Either A, NJT will comply with your request or B you'll just get a mixed set or Comet Is (but I should think they would provide you with newer equipment on this trip as they usually do on the excursion trips).

Of course, NJT rarely has their Comet Vs in solid sets (which baffles me- they have so many of them now that it wouldn't be all that hard to put them in solid sets). I did see one six car solid set working on the M&E last week but other than that, I haven't seen a whole lot of that lately at all. The MN Comet Vs are usually though in solid sets. I wonder if NJT will provide you with MN C5s. That would be interesting.
Strange. On the Bergen Line, the C5's are always in a pool together. Yeah occasionally you get a MN and an NJT C5 on the same train, but the C4's, C3's & C2 Rebuilds have almost vanished. All I see around here any more are the C1's and the C5's.

#110223  by njt5140

sullivan1985 wrote: Strange. On the Bergen Line, the C5's are always in a pool together. Yeah occasionally you get a MN and an NJT C5 on the same train, but the C4's, C3's & C2 Rebuilds have almost vanished. All I see around here any more are the C1's and the C5's.
4's 3's and 2's are all over the M&E, NJCL, RVL, and NEC. When I was in Hoboken last weekend, all I saw were I's or V's. The mixed consists came in on the RVL and NJCL sets. Going back a few weeks ago, I was in Port Morris and it was all I's or solid V sets. I didn't even see any IB cabs anywhere.

#110232  by nick11a

Really? That is interesting that you're only seeing Is and Vs now on the BCL. The only solid C5 sets I see on the M&E are usually the MN sets (sometimes with an NJT C5 cab.)

So now that there are more solid Comet V sets over there on the BCL, maybe getting a solid C5 set may not be as hard as I thought. Pretty cool. Just sorry I can't attend to see what they get as I will be busy playing for the Tridium Masses here at Rutgers. (Holy week is prime money making week for liturgical musicians. :-D)

#110255  by Jtgshu

Seeing a lot more 1B sets on the Coast Line for Bay Head trains, both to/from Hoboken adn workng the shuttle

#110329  by njt4172

It would be interesting if we see some solid MTA Comet V sets on the Pony Express this spring.... A couple of you mentioned that they were spotted down there that last year, but I missed it totally...I did happen to see a Comet I set though.....With the PL42AC arriving soon, I doubt we will see the ex CNJ 4100 series Geeps anymore.....Heard rumors that NYSW might buy a few. but it is all unconfirmed......

Steve

#110421  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:It would be interesting if we see some solid MTA Comet V sets on the Pony Express this spring.... A couple of you mentioned that they were spotted down there that last year, but I missed it totally...I did happen to see a Comet I set though.....With the PL42AC arriving soon, I doubt we will see the ex CNJ 4100 series Geeps anymore.....Heard rumors that NYSW might buy a few. but it is all unconfirmed......

Steve
Yeah, they were seen really early on in the season. But, after a few weeks, they basically had the same kind of set doing it each week. A mixed 2/3/4/5 set and also, for quite a while, one of the shrink-wrapped coaches was a regular contender on it.

#110560  by njt4172

Nick,

Btw, nice Avatar... Was that semaphore order board taken somewhere along the Gladstone Branch??

Steve

#110586  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick,

Btw, nice Avatar... Was that semaphore order board taken somewhere along the Gladstone Branch??

Steve
Good eye. Yeah, that is at Millington early in the morning at about 6:50 AM last week.