• NYGL Dundee Spur Status - 2009-present

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blockline4180

Dcell wrote:I feel bad for whoever bought the NYG&L from Jimmy Wilson. Without the transfer station, there is no business for the railroad. Did the new owners go bankrupt or just shut down?

This should tell you that they aren't shut down, and that for the time being is their lifeline..
The NYGL is handling some special soil transfers on a periodic basis.
  by kamerad47

They rip up the tracks going into the old us rubber plant (st. crossing) granted they heven't been in there in years but now it's never again.
  by Dcell

The daily paper reports that the waste transfer station is shut down, and so is the railroad. I thought Jim WIlson sold the NYGL to some other outfit (Bergen & Northern RR or something like that) but maybe he is still the owner?? Here's the link to the article:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/transfe ... 91809.html
  by sean3f

It looks like operations have ended for now but no news of any change of ownership or bankruptcy. How much is an old box car worth these day’s anyway?

Too bad, it was an interesting railroad. Wonder what will happen to the U boat. I remember rumors (yes on this board) that they were going to run passenger service on the old Boonton line. I also remember the fire several years ago that shut them down briefly. It’s not the best location for any type of trash transfer, its right in the middle of a residential area.

The NYS&W opened a facility the North Bergen area with similar issues, the DEP crying about “regulations” and “health issues” ect. ? I mean, it’s just some VOC's , asbestos and rotting food. You would think they were mining plutonium with all the fuss the DEP make’s!

BTW: Does the Kearny landfill use rail?
  by CJPat

sean3f wrote:I mean, it’s just some VOC's , asbestos and rotting food.
Construction debris should not contain any of those items other than possible trace amounts (i.e oil stained concrete rubble, a few micro strands of asbestos that get by the asbestos removal process, somebody's lunch they dumped during the work).

Any significant quantity of VOCs or asbestos on a property would constitute an environmental hazard and would have to be removed and segregated for separate disposal to a Hazardous Materials landfill and would not pass through a typical C&D transfer operation. This is not garbage, it is Construction & Demolition debris. There is no food products involved at all. The only true garbage hauled on rails would be the stuff like what originates at Fresh Kills in Staten Island.

The only true complaints that the Nimbys could lodge would be for Dust & Noise due to the dump trucks and front end loaders operating on the site.
  by Dcell

I'm still confused, as the newspaper article says Jimmy Wilson owns this rail line. I thought he sold it. Does anyone know? Jimmy moved his equipment to Port Jervis after his arrest in Glen Ridge for drunk driving but does he still own the Dundee Line?
  by kamerad47

Does anyone know what's happening with this rail line????? it looks like someone is using the building foe contaminated dirt trasnfer, But they are using trucks to haul it out!! there must 15 gondola cars in there yard by the river does anyone know what's going on???
  by SecaucusJunction

I thought that place went bankrupt... That's actually good news if you saw activity there.
  by blockline4180

I had thought this line was dead... That is why I was told they want to get the URHS equipment out of there before the end of the summer... I'm worried that these gondolas are for the scrap train, but I hope I'm dead wrong.
  by airman00

well, I hope this line somehow gets saved, it'd be a shame to see it disappear.
  by kamerad47

Went passed there today Someone brought 4 of the gondola cars into the conplex from there yard along the river & put 2 in the building & 2 outsde of it, both doors were open on the building. Someone told me awhile ago that they were going to haul contaminated dirt out of there ,it looks like someting may happen there??
  by RAHWAY VALLEY

Otto Vondrak wrote:I've heard little activity in he last two years... It must be a slim operation.
Service to the C&D transloading facility in Passaic, N.J. stopped during late January of 2009. The NY&GL will soon resume regular freight service again, moving a different commodity that is not C&D. Like other railroads of the region (i.e. NYS&W), the NY&GL is going into a different business model as the traffic base changes. Mr. James Wilson remains as the owner of the railroad. It should be noted that the NY&GL is solvent operation. Stay tuned with camera in hand for future developments.
  by Steve F45

are they going to be moving freight down monroe street or in upstate ny?
  by SemperFidelis

NS did ask for bids on Campbell Hall again recently. Who knows? Maybe they'll work Passaic and upstate NY.