• North Jersey Coast Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJT4149

trainster78 wrote:Well, at least I got it while it was here this past weekend. definitely one of my best catches of the year so far other than the two private cars I caught on the Crescent at Princeton Junction last month. Although I do have a question, wasn't 4217 on the RVL yesterday with the MARC coaches? I know now its 4200 with 4009 but I swear 4217 was with em yesterday.
4217 was indeed with the MARC coaches yesterday. 4102 replaced 4217 after the morning run, then 4217 was sent to Bay Head.
  by trainster78

4200 replaced 4102 sometime this afternoon because my friend just caught 4009 and 4200 with em on train 5733.
  by joesirr

NJT4149 wrote:
joesirr wrote:Hi,
Anyone know where this detector is? "Milepost Four Point Zero". My Google fu isn't working today. Thanks.
The detector you're referring to is the detector at MP E4.0; this detector is located somewhere near the Woodbridge station.
Ok, so, A little over a year later of the above post and I still can't find an answer re: E 4.0 detector. On a map it shows just 1 Eastbound and 1 Westbound track but the detector is still saying "E 4.0 Track 1" and "E 4.0 Track 2".

Anyone? Thanks!
  by trainster78

If you're trying to figure out which track is which, the Eastbound track would be Track 2, the Westbound track would be track two. That detector I think is just to the west of Woodbridge Station.

On another note, service between Long Branch and Red Bank (might be further, not sure if they are on the CP after the bridge or not) is using Track 1 only, they are doing signal work on Track 2.
  by trainster78

Northbound service 3266 had a rather long set today, an ALP-46A on both ends with at least 10 MLV's sandwiched.
  by GSC

trainster78 wrote:If you're trying to figure out which track is which, the Eastbound track would be Track 2, the Westbound track would be track two. That detector I think is just to the west of Woodbridge Station.
In my early teen years, first studying ferroequinology, I was told to remember the Track 1 / Track 2 question as: Track going away from New York is Track 1, going to New York is Track 2.
  by trainster78

and I just realized I said both tracks were two. the Westbound (towards Long Branch) is track one. Lol

Also: There are a bunch of ballast cars scattered in both Red Bank yards. Not sure if there are engines there anymore, but when I went by there were two of em, both NJT, looked to be widebodys. Not sure if they were the CATs or an ALP-45DP
  by trainster78

Are there any Geeps working the diesel sets this week? I got some time to kill in Red Bank tomorrow so I’m headed out to for 2312-3256-3247-2303
  by NJT4149

trainster78 wrote:Are there any Geeps working the diesel sets this week? I got some time to kill in Red Bank tomorrow so I’m headed out to for 2312-3256-3247-2303
Not that I know of... Everything had ALPs this past Monday
  by trainster78

Well I guess 2303 always has a chance for somethin new, half the time I go down there it has 4216 on point.

On another note: Does anyone know why there are so many ballast cars in Red Bank Yard?
  by trainster78

2312 is running with a 3300 series set, 6035 leading and 4508 pushing.
  by joesirr

GSC wrote:
trainster78 wrote:If you're trying to figure out which track is which, the Eastbound track would be Track 2, the Westbound track would be track two. That detector I think is just to the west of Woodbridge Station.
In my early teen years, first studying ferroequinology, I was told to remember the Track 1 / Track 2 question as: Track going away from New York is Track 1, going to New York is Track 2.
Maybe I'm not explaining it right.

How many EASTBOUND tracks are at this detector? I see only 1 on maps.
The detector announces "NJ Rail, E Four Point Zero Track 1 No Defects..." AND ALSO "NJ Rail, E Four Point Zero Track 2 No Defects..."
There is no Westbound detector announcements.
  by trainster78

2303 has a different engineer today, 4506 on point, 6075 trailing
  by R&DB

joesirr » Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Re: detector location
Here's a guess: The track from Rahway to Perth Amboy is probably referred to as NJ Rail East and "East" is part of a name not a direction. MP 0.0 is probably at Rahway. North Jersey Coast Line begins (MP 0.0) is at the north and of the Raritan River bridge. Hope this helps.
If have portable scanner, take it the Woodbridge station, observe the trains that pass and when the detector goes off.
  by joesirr

R&DB wrote:
joesirr » Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Re: detector location
Here's a guess: The track from Rahway to Perth Amboy is probably referred to as NJ Rail East and "East" is part of a name not a direction. MP 0.0 is probably at Rahway. North Jersey Coast Line begins (MP 0.0) is at the north and of the Raritan River bridge. Hope this helps.
If have portable scanner, take it the Woodbridge station, observe the trains that pass and when the detector goes off.
Thanks Harry!