• North Carolina NCDOT-Amtrak Piedmont Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

Is this the car being discussed? It sounds like the person says, "Wisconsin Valley" in reference to the car. (Warning: You might want to turn down the volume, as the horn is rather loud!)
  by matthewsaggie

Interesting- I was on the Carolinian on Saturday and saw the Piedmont pass by us just south of High Point out of the corner of my eye and saw the maroon and orange speed by. I assumed that it was a private owned car, and in checking the car roster on the NCDOT website (http://www.bytrain.org/passenger/pdf/do ... ipment.pdf) I don't see it listed. I will have to look into this further.

--MA
  by Matt Johnson

I believe I have identified the car. This came up in a google search.
  by Gilbert B Norman

OK, I think Mr. Johnson has largely solved the mystery; all concerned, Mr. and Mrs. Willy as well as myself, are vindicated.

I am vindicated on the strength that the Northern States (reporting mark NSX) car named "Wisconsin Valley" and liveried in MILW colors, is NOT an ex-MILW car. Rather is is an ex-USArmy Hospital Car dating from 1952 subsequently acquired by Amtrak that had converted such either to a Lounge or Dorm.

When 4449 rolled by MP 18.00 July 18, I did not notice whether that car was in consist.
  by dmclement

matthewsaggie wrote:NC Piedmont Service up-date:

1. NCDOT has bought 2 used F-59's from GO Transit and they are currently being rebuilt somewhere in NY.
529 & 534 are the F59's in question. I read somewhere these were to become NCDoT 1810 & 1859, can anyone confirm this? How does NCDoT number their locomotives anyway, seems a bit random.
  by matthewsaggie

Each loco is named for a NC city and the number is the city's charter date:

1755 City of Salisbury
1792 City of Raleigh
1797 City of Asheville

I don't know enough NC history to speculate on the next two, since my guesses, when googled were wrong. We will have to see.
  by nomis

1810 - Columbia (Elizabehtown)
1859 - High Point
... google plus wikipedia, don't prove me wrong ...
  by matthewsaggie

Elizabethtown-- I don't know- that's a long way off the track, so to speak.
  by tarheelman

matthewsaggie wrote:Elizabethtown-- I don't know- that's a long way off the track, so to speak.
With all due respect, Mr. matthewsaggie, so is Asheville. However, having said that, I'm not convinced that the NCDOT would name one of their locomotives after a town the size of Elizabethtown.
  by matthewsaggie

Well we expect to get to Asheville..........some day.

Elizabethtown is on the end of a long branchline from god knows where. No, don't think so. Its back to the google and wikipedia for 1810.
  by AMTK1007

That is correct, the State of North Carolina has leased the Wisconsin Valley form Rail Heritage of Midwest America / Northstar Rail / Friends of the 261 for a period of time to allow for refurbishment of their equipment

The Wisconsin Valley is an ex US Army hospital car converted to a Lounge car by Amtrak (3100 series). It retains it's food service area, and 4 booths, but the individual seating has been replaced by new chairs and couches
  by Station Aficionado

matthewsaggie wrote:Its back to the google and wikipedia for 1810.
According to the September Railpace (p. 12), 1810 is for High Point.
  by matthewsaggie

High Point's Charter is 1859. See wiki for High Point. 1810 is still up for grabs, despite what Railpace said.
  by AMTK1007

orulz wrote:The MILW lounge car rides pretty poorly compared to the refurbished one(s?) in the NCDOT paint scheme. Hopefully when it is rebuilt they will fix the suspension so it rides more like the other refurbished cars.
that car is not owned by the State of North Carolina, it is owned by Railroad Heritage of the Midwest, operators of the MILW 261... It is on lease to the State of North Carolina