Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RearOfSignal

MNR/NJT/Amtrak for the Superbowl will not make sense to me because there will be fewer people traveling from the eastern and northern suburbs because the NFL only allots a certain amount of tickets for the home team, or in this case teams. Meaning that the majority of tickets will be available to ticket holders of the two teams in the Superbowl, not the team in the host stadium. It's very likely that fans traveling into the area in support of their teams from out of state will not be making the long trip from Connecticut to the Meadowlands. It's more likely that they will stay in the city or in New Jersey and travel into the city for the associated Superbowl festivities.

This of course assumes that neither the Jets or Giants make it to the Superbowl. If history serves as any guide, no hosting team has ever made it to the Superbowl.
  by truck6018

Thinking along the line of what ROS is saying, I had a passenger asking me about increased service on MNR for this past year's MLB All Star Game . He was swearing up and down how the trains would be packed. On the day of the game there was no noticable increase in passengers.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

There's no market from MNR territory for the Super Bowl. None. And to LIRR42 - lousy excuse it may seem to be, but sorry, there's a little more to running a railroad than you think. When that train gets back to Morrisville, Dover, or wherever, at 6 AM or so (if everything goes right), it has to get its calendar day mechanical inspection before it turns a wheel again. That's an hour or so. So now you're looking at 7 AM at best. You can't plan your AM peak operation on a consist that MIGHT, if everything goes right, be available at 7 AM. And NJT needs that train, there are no spare outfits that day with all the extra ridership going to the airport and other places.

And I repeat: there's no market from MNR territory for the Super Bowl. None. So why bother???

Amtrak charter? Yeah, right. Amtrak needs to have their ducks in order for the possibility (however remote) that a corridor team could be in the game, in which case they have a big day ahead of them. And why would they want to do a charter for MNR when they have the right to run their own train without the pesky Mets calling the shots? Non-starter.

For all of you on this board - none of whom are going to the game, I'll bet - get over the idea that MNR and NJT should run the service that day. If NJT decides they can make it work, the train will run. But it's unlikely.

We'll all live in spite of it.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:Amtrak charter? Yeah, right. Amtrak needs to have their ducks in order for the possibility (however remote) that a corridor team could be in the game, in which case they have a big day ahead of them.
Patriots are the only team that has a playoff spot each year. If they can make it to Super Bowl, would be interesting as they would be playing on Jets territory.
  by RearOfSignal

Just to clarify I'm sure NJT will run added service for the Superbowl but only on their lines, not MNR. To be more specific from Seacaucus/NYP. The Superbowl festivities and television crews will take up nearly 40% of the parking lot at MetLife Stadium, so all are encouraged to take mass transit.
  by alewifebp

Additionally, the Route 3 construction will not be complete by the big game. I'm sure NJT will be providing plenty of rail service, as they have for other big events that draw huge crowds.
  by bleet

NJT is actually lengthening the platforms at Secaucus to accommodate longer trains they will be running from there to the stadium for the game. There will be lots of service to the stadium just extremely unlikely they'll be running trains from MN territory short of the miracle of the Giants or Jets getting into the game.
  by DutchRailnut

Jim, they have run alp46a on football trains, you sure your not confused with ALP-45DP as not allowed on MN ??
  by Erie-Lackawanna

DutchRailnut wrote:Jim, they have run alp46a on football trains, you sure your not confused with ALP-45DP as not allowed on MN ??
Yes, they have - once that I know of. By mistake. Not supposed to happen again. Although being locked up here in the ivory tower, it's entirely possible they've been cleared since last I knew. Hell, I just got internet access back last week, by the graciousness of a sympathetic guard....

Jim
  by Jayjay1213

46A's are still restricted....
  by Clean Cab

Jayjay1213 wrote:46A's are still restricted....
Correct. ALP-46A's are restricted from MN territory. One was assigned once, but it never left Penn Station.
  by DutchRailnut

John acording one of engineers who runs it now he had a ALP46a twice.
  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:John acording one of engineers who runs it now he had a ALP46a twice.
It must have changed since I last ran them.
  by DutchRailnut

yes John the railroad moves on