• NJT and Copyright Infringement

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by GE-RULES

njt5140 wrote:Yes I AM an employee for one of the railroads and I was ON my train when I shot it.....
Just be careful pushing this issue cause I can see them firing back with a NORAC rule "E" violation (Unauthorized Electronic Device) while on duty. Just playing Devil's advocate here...
  by Steve F45

also they can say that the photo you took while working is property of the railroad you work for since it was taken on duty. An NYPD officer got into a battle about that during 911 while on duty documenting the devastation at ground zero.
  by njt4154

NJT should give credit where credit is due! I think though since this was an internal newsletter and they weren't selling it for profit that the law may side with NJT. Now if they were selling 5x7s that would be a different story
  by Kaback9

njt4154 wrote:NJT should give credit where credit is due! I think though since this was an internal newsletter and they weren't selling it for profit that the law may side with NJT. Now if they were selling 5x7s that would be a different story
I agree with you but, even if its not for profit its still stealing someones work without proper credit, RRPA may also have to be involved since it was stolen from their site.
  by Hawaiitiki

I agree with the general concensus, after recently taking a business law course, the general question mark in the court, "is did the abuser profit from the copyrighted material?" And in the case, it would seem not.
  by sixty-six

I second GE-RULES's comment about a NORAC Rule E violation. If they really want to shut you up (even though its a NS employee vs. NJT), they can certainly get you on a rule E violation.
  by njt5140

jimzim66 wrote:I second GE-RULES's comment about a NORAC Rule E violation. If they really want to shut you up (even though its a NS employee vs. NJT), they can certainly get you on a rule E violation.
It wouldn't stand up being NS is on a seperate rules system from NORAC, and if you read throught the pages on EO 26 on the electronic device ban, even though a video camera is listed, a still photography camera isn't, and to add I was NOT on a MOVING train when the photo was taken. And it was neither taken on NS OR NJT property.... So to those that are trying to make it look bad on my part and try to protect NJT you're WRONG, don't assume you know when you haven't heard the full story!
  by Kaback9

To add some of the shots in the current NS calendar were clearly taken on the job. So I don't think that is a problem.
  by njt5140

Technically I shouldn't have to explain myself at all, it's nobody's business but my own how I obtained the shot, people should keep their traps shut in the first place! Typical meat puppets gotta poke and prod at every little thing! It's a no wonder why I don't post pictures or anything newsworthy anymore!
  by sixty-six

njt5140 wrote:Technically I shouldn't have to explain myself at all, it's nobody's business but my own how I obtained the shot, people should keep their traps shut in the first place! Typical meat puppets gotta poke and prod at every little thing! It's a no wonder why I don't post pictures or anything newsworthy anymore!
Dude, we're not giving you a hard time. Just giving you our thoughts. All we're saying is that if they want to bully you around, that could be something they use.
  by n01jd1

Typical puppets. Thats why I dont participate much in the forums anymore. They always have to find something to nitpick on. "oohh he's trespassing!! oohhh he's taking pictures on company time ooooooohhhh!! Good grief!! Let other people worry about themselves and you worry about you. If people post pictures, enjoy the show!! Nuff said. I shall now step off my soapbox and don my flame retardant suit.
  by njt5140

jimzim66 wrote: Dude, we're not giving you a hard time. Just giving you our thoughts. All we're saying is that if they want to bully you around, that could be something they use.
And I'm telling you if I truly felt the photo was in question would I have bothered to post it on RRPA in the first place??
  by sixty-six

Not at all. We both know the picture itself is harmless. But if, IF, you were fight city hall on this, what GE-RULES mentioned could become a factor. It could not. That's all.
  by sixty-six

We're not saying we know the whole story, or that you were in violation of anything. But at least over here, if they want to shut you up about something, theyll do anything and everything.
  by njt5140

jimzim66 wrote:We're not saying we know the whole story, or that you were in violation of anything. But at least over here, if they want to shut you up about something, theyll do anything and everything.
And I keep telling you, I DON'T CARE!