• NJ Transit on Hell Gate Bridge

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by wots hater

cruiser939 wrote:
drewh wrote:They should have planned for electrification of this small line though I doubt they have. Once the loop is in place they could have had thru service from CT and NYP. In todays green age and long term issues with oil dependancies it is crazy that any new line is not electrified, especially a short line that connects with an electrifed line - shortsighted.
Hmmm, where to begin when deconstructing this post? I guess from the beginning...

When the loop tracks are complete will also be when the ARC project is open. At that time, dual mode locomotives will already be in service. Therefore, service can go directly from CT to the Meadowlands.

You bring up the issue of the environment. If the service takes a couple thousand cars off the road is that not a net positive for all the green-thumbs out there?

Furthermore, you assert that any "small line" that connects with an electrified line should be electrified. The Meadowlands spur doesn't connect to an electrified line. It connects to the non-electrified PVL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified BCL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified Main Line. Are you picking up the patter here?

If you ask me, the only thing short-sighted was your post because you didn't take into account that I would read it and counter with facts.
Class is dismissed!
  by sixty-six

cruiser939 wrote:
drewh wrote: Furthermore, you assert that any "small line" that connects with an electrified line should be electrified. The Meadowlands spur doesn't connect to an electrified line. It connects to the non-electrified PVL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified BCL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified Main Line. Are you picking up the patter here?
WRONG!!!! Duh, did you forget about the 1500 feet of wire over Track 4 on the Main Line?

Such a know it all....now excuse me, I have to wait 47 minutes for my train. The nerve of NJT! :-D
  by Jtgshu

Well, the Dinky is electrified! :)

And THATS a small line! :P
  by cruiser939

jimzim66 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote: Furthermore, you assert that any "small line" that connects with an electrified line should be electrified. The Meadowlands spur doesn't connect to an electrified line. It connects to the non-electrified PVL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified BCL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified Main Line. Are you picking up the patter here?
WRONG!!!! Duh, did you forget about the 1500 feet of wire over Track 4 on the Main Line?

Such a know it all....now excuse me, I have to wait 47 minutes for my train. The nerve of NJT! :-D
Oh jeez, this is awkward. How to correct someone who has just created a hovercat masterpiece? Where the BCL connects to the Main Line at LAUREL, There is no wire. Therefore, there is no electrification.

When class lets out today and everyone else goes... you stay. You'll be serving a 47 minute detention on the platform at New Brunswick.
  by drewh

At that time, dual mode locomotives will already be in service. Therefore, service can go directly from CT to the Meadowlands.
If and when we get dual-modes. You state it as a fact. They have yet to be proven in any kind of service anywhere.
The Meadowlands spur doesn't connect to an electrified line.
I was taking into account the loop track. And to be clear, I was saying that they should have elctrified from the Meadowlands, onto the PVL and the BCL, all the way to Hoboken. If they don't start with new lines how are we ever going to get the RVL, rest of Boonton, and NJCL to Bay Head done?
  by cruiser939

drewh wrote:
At that time, dual mode locomotives will already be in service. Therefore, service can go directly from CT to the Meadowlands.
If and when we get dual-modes. You state it as a fact. They have yet to be proven in any kind of service anywhere.
The dual modes are supposed to be delivered starting in 2011. Despite NT's track record, it would be foolish not to expect they'll be running by 2017 when the loop tracks are done.
drewh wrote:
The Meadowlands spur doesn't connect to an electrified line.
I was taking into account the loop track. And to be clear, I was saying that they should have elctrified from the Meadowlands, onto the PVL and the BCL, all the way to Hoboken. If they don't start with new lines how are we ever going to get the RVL, rest of Boonton, and NJCL to Bay Head done?
Probably never. The purchase of dual modes put that question off for a really long time. Whether or not you agree is another matter.