• NJ Transit on Hell Gate Bridge

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by PullmanCo

alewifebp wrote:I don't think that Metro North and its passengers have that same anti-transfer mentality that we have in NJ. They seem to do it all the time with no quibbles.
They do not. Even though Metro-North's NYC terminal has over 60 tracks with platforms, they do not try to force all New Cannan Branch (fully electrified!), Danbury Branch, Waterbury Branch (both accessible to GCT with dual-mode) or Upper Hudson (also accessible by dual-mode) trains into the city. (Even with the lower traffic levels of off-peak service!)

And frankly, it's not the "NJ passengers" that would have an "anti-transfer mentality", but the politicians. No investment is made to provide for easier transfers, though. If Hoboken Terminal had as many subway-train connections as Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, how much easier would transfers be?
  by newjackRR

Maybe we need those moving walkways like they have at the airport since most people are afraid of walking !
  by nyswfan

Do you use the service? If you did, you know how much of a pain in the ass transfers are. Especially lat dec/jan when its 3 degrees outside. When you factor for late trains, breakdowns, signal delays, etc etc etc... there are much faster ways to get yourself to giants stadium on a sunday morning.
Sirsonic wrote:
nyswfan wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Correct , MNCR crews qualifying on Multilevels and ALP-46 and NYP and Hellgate line, for new Giant stadium service from New Haven.
The training trauin will run every saterday from June till Sept.
So pax will have to switch trains at secaucus? Sounds like a waste. Driving from CT over the tappen zee down the parkway on a sunday is fairly simplistic.
OH MY GOD!!!!!! THEY ACTUALLY EXPECT PEOPLE TO GET OFF ONE TRAIN, RIDE DOWN AN ESCLATOR, AND GET ON ANOTHER TRAIN!!!!!! HOW STUPID!!!!!!!

Seriously, what is so wrong with changing trains? Its not like its going to be a long wait at Secaucus for the connection...
  by nyswfan

The train will cost $24 round trip per person. If you goto the game with 4 people. that almost $100 to get you from Rye to the Meadowlands. Last time I was there parking was $25, the bridge toll was $8 one way and a reasonable vehicle will go the 100 miles on less than 5 gallons of gas. How does the train offset the cost of driving? Its a waste of a project...
jimzim66 wrote:
nyswfan wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Correct , MNCR crews qualifying on Multilevels and ALP-46 and NYP and Hellgate line, for new Giant stadium service from New Haven.
The training trauin will run every saterday from June till Sept.
So pax will have to switch trains at secaucus? Sounds like a waste. Driving from CT over the tappen zee down the parkway on a sunday is fairly simplistic.
While you sit in traffic, everyone else will "endure" the wait at SEC. Taking the train != exorbitant parking fees, gas, and tolls.
  by cruiser939

nyswfan wrote:Do you use the service? If you did, you know how much of a pain in the ass transfers are. Especially lat dec/jan when its 3 degrees outside. When you factor for late trains, breakdowns, signal delays, etc etc etc... there are much faster ways to get yourself to giants stadium on a sunday morning.
Are you refering to the thru service from CT to the Meadowlands via Secaucus? If so, this is a stupid question as that service hasn't run yet. If not, this is a stupid question because it doesn't specify which service you are refering to. Also, most of your arguments are moot. In order to transfer, you are almost always protected from the (gasp) cold. Not to mention that would be a pretty silly reason not to transfer because you're about to spend 3+ hours outside in that same weather watching the game. Also, many of your fears about trains can be related to taking a car. Breakdowns aren't mutually exclusive to locomotive engines you know and signal delays translates nicely into traffic delays.

Plus you can always find Jim and myself waiting 47 minutes for our train and likely making very sarcastic comments to anybody within earshot.
  by cruiser939

nyswfan wrote:The train will cost $24 round trip per person. If you goto the game with 4 people. that almost $100 to get you from Rye to the Meadowlands. Last time I was there parking was $25, the bridge toll was $8 one way and a reasonable vehicle will go the 100 miles on less than 5 gallons of gas. How does the train offset the cost of driving? Its a waste of a project...
So because it doesn't make financial sense for someone from CT to transport a group of people by train as opposed to by car that means the project is a waste? I never realized that NJT was supposed to factor the individual tendencies of CT's resident into their planning process. Remember that by utilizing the train, you don't have to worry about how sober you are for that much longer. I know a few people who are banking on that As their reasoning for taking the train.

Here's a thought, drive to Secaucus and park there, and then take the train. Best of both worlds, you don't spend $24 per train ticket and you don't waste an hour trying to leave the event.
  by nyswfan

1. U cant park in secaucus
2. Mass transit already exists from CT to the Meadowlands U can take MN to GCT and NJ bus to the meadowlands from Port Authority why the need for another train that cost 700k when there is service already in place? This is not "new" service as an individual can get from CT to NJ currently if they are so inclined. So wouldnt the 700k be better spent elsewhere? Thats what I mean when I say WASTE....
cruiser939 wrote:
nyswfan wrote:The train will cost $24 round trip per person. If you goto the game with 4 people. that almost $100 to get you from Rye to the Meadowlands. Last time I was there parking was $25, the bridge toll was $8 one way and a reasonable vehicle will go the 100 miles on less than 5 gallons of gas. How does the train offset the cost of driving? Its a waste of a project...
So because it doesn't make financial sense for someone from CT to transport a group of people by train as opposed to by car that means the project is a waste? I never realized that NJT was supposed to factor the individual tendencies of CT's resident into their planning process. Remember that by utilizing the train, you don't have to worry about how sober you are for that much longer. I know a few people who are banking on that As their reasoning for taking the train.

Here's a thought, drive to Secaucus and park there, and then take the train. Best of both worlds, you don't spend $24 per train ticket and you don't waste an hour trying to leave the event.
  by cruiser939

nyswfan wrote:1. U cant park in secaucus
2. Mass transit already exists from CT to the Meadowlands U can take MN to GCT and NJ bus to the meadowlands from Port Authority why the need for another train that cost 700k when there is service already in place? This is not "new" service as an individual can get from CT to NJ currently if they are so inclined. So wouldnt the 700k be better spent elsewhere? Thats what I mean when I say WASTE....
cruiser939 wrote:

1. You can't?: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 69&t=60632

2. Hold on a second here. Weren't you just whining about having to make a single transfer? Now you're suggesting this service is a waste because there's a way to do it utilizing three diffrent modes of transportation and two transfers?! This is most definitely a new service. Please tell me how else you can get from stations in CT to Secaucus with a one-seat ride?
  by sixty-six

cruiser939 wrote: Plus you can always find Jim and myself waiting 47 minutes for our train and likely making very sarcastic comments to anybody within earshot.
Hey cruiser, you wanna meet me in New Brunswick tomorrow so we can complain about the 47 minute gap in service?
  by cruiser939

jimzim66 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote: Plus you can always find Jim and myself waiting 47 minutes for our train and likely making very sarcastic comments to anybody within earshot.
Hey cruiser, you wanna meet me in New Brunswick tomorrow so we can complain about the 47 minute gap in service?
I'll bring the snacks. You bring the board games
  by devb3

So, uh... what time on any given Saturday could one expect to see a NJT consist crossing the Hellgate anyway?
  by DutchRailnut

first eastbound run is just after 9 am I believe. they turn in New Rochelle or at Manor
  by Sirsonic

No, I have never ridden on an NJT train from New Haven to the Meadowlands. I have, however, used the train to commute to work, and had to make 1, and sometimes 2, connections along the way. I managed to do it without whining and complaining, even when it was cold, or rainy, or hot, etc. Most transfer points have some kind of enclosed waiting area, so the whole issue of the weather becomes moot.

It seems, however, that you have a personal grudge against the Meadowlands service, so I would suggest you not use it. There are plenty of others who would be willing to take the train, and your absence will make for more room on board.
  by drewh

ith NJT's upcoming dual mode locomotives in play combined with ARC's Secaucus flyover loops, yes, it would conceivably be possible to run trains through to CT on game days (though only via New York Penn Station -- ARC's NYPSE dead ends at 34th street).
They should have planned for electrification of this small line though I doubt they have. Once the loop is in place they could have had thru service from CT and NYP. In todays green age and long term issues with oil dependancies it is crazy that any new line is not electrified, especially a short line that connects with an electrifed line - shortsighted.
  by cruiser939

drewh wrote:They should have planned for electrification of this small line though I doubt they have. Once the loop is in place they could have had thru service from CT and NYP. In todays green age and long term issues with oil dependancies it is crazy that any new line is not electrified, especially a short line that connects with an electrifed line - shortsighted.
Hmmm, where to begin when deconstructing this post? I guess from the beginning...

When the loop tracks are complete will also be when the ARC project is open. At that time, dual mode locomotives will already be in service. Therefore, service can go directly from CT to the Meadowlands.

You bring up the issue of the environment. If the service takes a couple thousand cars off the road is that not a net positive for all the green-thumbs out there?

Furthermore, you assert that any "small line" that connects with an electrified line should be electrified. The Meadowlands spur doesn't connect to an electrified line. It connects to the non-electrified PVL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified BCL, which in turn connects to the non-electrified Main Line. Are you picking up the patter here?

If you ask me, the only thing short-sighted was your post because you didn't take into account that I would read it and counter with facts.