Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by justalurker66

JLJ061 wrote:I imagine they will just pick up at CP 32.2 east to South Bend and leave the Michigan City section until the reroute is complete.
I agree. Hopefully they can get the funding for 32.2 to "0" in 2012 (2011 to Michigan City is funded). That section of line is reasonably straight with the area through Hudson Lake being the only wiggle.

I really hope funding MC>SB catenary will be competing against the realignment in Michigan City for funding. The realignment is more critical (nearly every train uses that section). I also hope that the South Bend Airport gets funding to do the realignment new station there. Plenty of projects to go!
  by justalurker66

A couple more updates.

Work is continuing on the CTC/signaling project. The crews are now working between Birchim and the county line ... signals at five crossings and two train signal locations are in the process of replaced. Signal 165/166 east of Emery Rd has been replaced and the new signal is lit (166 will be the approach signal to Birchim). The signal at Hudson lake is being moved east to the county line (old signal still in service).

October 22nd-24th is the big weekend for the Hobart Rd bridge in Miller. A few years ago the nearby bridge over the CSX tracks there was replaced ... now it is the road bridge's turn. Late evening trains on the 22nd will be bused around the bridge on Friday night. Saturday and Sunday are the next catenary replacement weekend. When the bridge over CSX was replaced the first train over was a eastbound that was standing room only. The first revenue train over the new Hobart Rd bridge should be 102 on Monday.

Has anyone been through Kensington and seen changes there? It has been a while since I've made it that far.
  by doepack

justalurker66 wrote:Has anyone been through Kensington and seen changes there? It has been a while since I've made it that far.
I was there late last week, and there were a lot of CN & Metra crews at work on the CN side, particularly at the north end of the interlocking on CN tracks 3 & 4. I'm assuming it's in preparation for the new connection to track 4 for Chicago-bound NICTD trains. Was also lucky enough to catch a CSS&SB freight with two bright orange GP38's (think the lead unit was 2004, forgot to write it down) leading a manifest off the old K&E northbound onto the CNIC Chicago Sub. I'm guessing he was headed for Clearing, though I'm not sure how he'd get there; the CNIC crosses under the NS/BRC at 95th, but there's no north-to west connection there (unless a reverse move is involved)...
  by justalurker66

Thanks ... what got me thinking was this story I saw a couple of days ago (published August 2nd):

http://chestertontribune.com/Northwest% ... rnizat.htm
On another matter, Hanas said work is progressing on construction of a dedicated South Shore rail line at Kensington where NICTD trains join Metra tracks and cross Canadian National freight lines in Illinois. South Shore trains at times are slowed to a crawl or held at the junction for other rail traffic to pass resulting in delays for NICTD passengers.

Hanas said new crossover rails are to be installed in August during the tedious $15 million construction process but it was determined that the South Shore had to redesign Metra’s signal system with NICTD’s share $480,000 for additional engineering and design.
I was unsure how to read that - "new crossover rails are to be installed in August" but a signal system redesign is needed. If the signal design problem slowed construction I'd expect a "were to be installed in August". I wasn't sure from the writing if anything was still going to happen.

My last visit was July 31st ... looks like I need to make another trip back. When I was there there were new bases for catenary supports in several places but no new crossovers.
  by justalurker66

doepack wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:Has anyone been through Kensington and seen changes there? It has been a while since I've made it that far.
I was there late last week, and there were a lot of CN & Metra crews at work on the CN side, particularly at the north end of the interlocking on CN tracks 3 & 4. I'm assuming it's in preparation for the new connection to track 4 for Chicago-bound NICTD trains.
I made a trip to Kensington on Friday and saw the crews at work. So far all of the work has been on the CN lines. There are more than a dozen new concrete bases installed for catenary supports or signal bridges. Based on their locations it appears that the new connection will run through the CN crossovers from the NICTD line to CN Track 1 just north of the Kensington station platform with a new connection between CN Track 1 and Metra Track 4 north of 113th St. (I'd say the "existing" crossovers but it appears that the trackwork is renewing the crossovers on the CN line.)

Something like this at Google Maps.

I had expected a diamond track parallel to the current crossover ending on CN Track 1 but the locations of the concrete bases don't back that up.
  by doepack

justalurker66 wrote:
doepack wrote:
I was there late last week, and there were a lot of CN & Metra crews at work on the CN side, particularly at the north end of the interlocking on CN tracks 3 & 4. I'm assuming it's in preparation for the new connection to track 4 for Chicago-bound NICTD trains.
I made a trip to Kensington on Friday and saw the crews at work. So far all of the work has been on the CN lines. There are more than a dozen new concrete bases installed for catenary supports or signal bridges. Based on their locations it appears that the new connection will run through the CN crossovers from the NICTD line to CN Track 1 just north of the Kensington station platform with a new connection between CN Track 1 and Metra Track 4 north of 113th St. (I'd say the "existing" crossovers but it appears that the trackwork is renewing the crossovers on the CN line.)
That was my impression as well. I did note the concrete supports, including a few toward the north end of the depot, but if IIRC, this is where CN track 1 already jogs to the inside of the existing catenary support bridges, putting it right up against Metra track 2 through the station. Stringing up wire in this area should be pretty easy, perhaps the concrete bases in this area represent an eventual upgrade over the current bridges?
justalurker66 wrote:I had expected a diamond track parallel to the current crossover ending on CN Track 1 but the locations of the concrete bases don't back that up.
Might be a "double-slip" switch going in here, to allow access to both the Kensington depot and the new track 4 connection...
  by justalurker66

doepack wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:Based on their locations it appears that the new connection will run through the CN crossovers from the NICTD line to CN Track 1 just north of the Kensington station platform with a new connection between CN Track 1 and Metra Track 4 north of 113th St.
That was my impression as well. I did note the concrete supports, including a few toward the north end of the depot, but if IIRC, this is where CN track 1 already jogs to the inside of the existing catenary support bridges, putting it right up against Metra track 2 through the station. Stringing up wire in this area should be pretty easy, perhaps the concrete bases in this area represent an eventual upgrade over the current bridges?
There is a catenary and signal support bridge just north of the station platform (14-37). The first new base is about 50ft south of that with an anchor point 25ft south of that. (The base has bolts to hold a beam in place - the anchor point has a beam sticking out of it with two holes in it where a guy wire from the nearby pole could be anchored.) Nothing has been done on the west side of the station (yet). I didn't even see survey markers. If they are replacing signal/catenary bridges they will need bases on both sides of the track. I'm expecting a simple L shaped one there since it is at the north end of the points where the crossover between CN Track 1 and Track 2 ends.

The next base south is only 85ft away on the crossover. The next base south of that is at the south end of the points on the crossover between CN Track 1 and Track 2. Then there is one on the north end of the points for the north crossover between CN Track 2 and Track 3. These seem to line up with the idea of using L shaped supports hanging over the end of the points in question.

The next set of bases south is just north of the old intercity staircase. One base is between CN Tracks 1 and 2, the other is on the far side of Track 4. With no room between the tracks for a base this appears to be built for a U shaped arm or two poles connected by wire. The line between these two points lines up with the south end of the points for the crossover between CN Track 2 and Track 3. The next set south lines up with the north end of the points for the crossover between CN Track 3 and Track 4.

The next base south doesn't line up precisely with anything and is outside of Track 4.

Moving south there is more of a separation between CN Track 2 and Track 3 ... there is another pair of bases - one between CN Track 2 and Track 3 and the other outside of Track 4 (right by the switch house). This one is just south of south end of the points for the crossover between CN Track 3 and Track 4. The next two are on the east inside curve of the CSS-CN freight connection (lining up nicely with all above). The last new base I see to the south is on the east side of the NICTD passenger track as it enters the current diamonds.

It lines up nicely for electrfying the path for a train going through all the east to west crossovers from the current CSS connection over to CN Track 1. The next step would be to put the switches in to cross over to the Metra lines.

The new bases north of 113th St would have to be for a new signal bridge. I could not see the bases for the west post of those bridges. (There were a few rebar frames for bases sitting at the work site so I expect we will be seeing more bases installed.)
doepack wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:I had expected a diamond track parallel to the current crossover ending on CN Track 1 but the locations of the concrete bases don't back that up.
Might be a "double-slip" switch going in here, to allow access to both the Kensington depot and the new track 4 connection...
The only place I could see a slip switch helping would be on the current diamond track ... allowing a train to slip from it to CN Track 1. Not a bad idea but the bases seem to be lined up for the other path. The CN crossovers are too close to the end of the platform for a train using them to serve Kensington. A crossover could be built into the current interlocking north of Kensington to allow CN Track 1 to connect to Metra Track 3 but that wouln't clear up the bottleneck as much as a crossover north of 113th St right to Track 4.
  by doepack

justalurker66 wrote:It lines up nicely for electrfying the path for a train going through all the east to west crossovers from the current CSS connection over to CN Track 1. The next step would be to put the switches in to cross over to the Metra lines.
Ah, ok then; I didn't fully see how the bases were arranged on the south side of the plant when I last visited, which is why I originally thought the current connection was going to be used, plus the double slip on CN 1. Thanks for spelling it out. So this means that some eastbound PM rush hour NICTD trains not stopping at Kensington could get a MT1 to MT4 routing by Metra dispatchers at 67th St. Interesting...

BTW, I'm currently updating a dispatching simulation I wrote for MED long ago. It'll be a full rewrite, and having the current operating profile will help me clear up several inaccuracies on the original 2001 version. The new NICTD connection at Kensington will be included, and I want to make sure I get it right...
  by justalurker66

doepack wrote:Ah, ok then; I didn't fully see how the bases were arranged on the south side of the plant when I last visited, which is why I originally thought the current connection was going to be used, plus the double slip on CN 1. Thanks for spelling it out. So this means that some eastbound PM rush hour NICTD trains not stopping at Kensington could get a MT1 to MT4 routing by Metra dispatchers at 67th St. Interesting...
It is complicated ... here's a YouTube video of an animation pass through the station with the new route in place that might help.

I believe inbound rush is the more important one ... and this route will certainly help. All four tracks are CTC from 67th south so it is possible to run an outbound there but I'm not sue how many intermediate signals are available. Track 1 has several and a special crossover just south of the South Chicago branch tunnel to make running both directions on Track 1 easier. Without intermediates the second train following southbound of Track 4 would have to run restricted speed or wait for the train to clear the line at Kensington.
BTW, I'm currently updating a dispatching simulation I wrote for MED long ago. It'll be a full rewrite, and having the current operating profile will help me clear up several inaccuracies on the original 2001 version. The new NICTD connection at Kensington will be included, and I want to make sure I get it right...
I believe we are close. Is this for Train Dispatcher 3.5? The current profile would also help answer the question of how functional reverse running on Track 4 would be.
  by doepack

justalurker66 wrote:I believe inbound rush is the more important one ... and this route will certainly help. All four tracks are CTC from 67th south so it is possible to run an outbound there but I'm not sue how many intermediate signals are available. Track 1 has several and a special crossover just south of the South Chicago branch tunnel to make running both directions on Track 1 easier. Without intermediates the second train following southbound of Track 4 would have to run restricted speed or wait for the train to clear the line at Kensington.
According to the profile, there are no intermediates for SB traffic on track 4 between 67th and Kensington. With that in mind, you wouldn't be able to divert all four PM rush trains that highball Kensington to the new connection via track 4 at 67th, but it could still work for trains like 11 and/or 113, since there's enough cushion in the schedule that no other southbound trains would be delayed; but OTOH, it's probably not a good idea to run 215 behind 115 on track 4, so the former would have to remain on track 1. Of course, the trick in all of this is to keep traffic in BOTH directions moving through 67th, so that you aren't spiking northbounds with these southbound crossover moves. I'll have to get the sim up and running before I find out just how feasible this would be, if at all...
justalurker66 wrote:I believe we are close. Is this for Train Dispatcher 3.5?
Yes it is. Hope to have it done, with testing completed, by late Nov./early Dec.
  by justalurker66

doepack wrote:According to the profile, there are no intermediates for SB traffic on track 4 between 67th and Kensington. With that in mind, you wouldn't be able to divert all four PM rush trains that highball Kensington to the new connection via track 4 at 67th, but it could still work for trains like 11 and/or 113, since there's enough cushion in the schedule that no other southbound trains would be delayed; but OTOH, it's probably not a good idea to run 215 behind 115 on track 4, so the former would have to remain on track 1. Of course, the trick in all of this is to keep traffic in BOTH directions moving through 67th, so that you aren't spiking northbounds with these southbound crossover moves. I'll have to get the sim up and running before I find out just how feasible this would be, if at all...
Without intermediates I'd consider it a non-starter. The following train would have to be at least seven minutes behind to get a green at 67th St. And it does clobber the interlocking at 67th St. The current northbound Track 1 to Track 4 connection south of the MED-SC tunnel helps avoid morning conflicts. A similar connection would be needed to help avoid afternoon conflicts (plus at least a couple intermediate signals). Probably not worth the cost for the "Gary" trains.
Yes it is. Hope to have it done, with testing completed, by late Nov./early Dec.
Cool. The redo at Kensington adds complication. We won't know the signaling until it is installed (unless an insider offers up details). I'm hoping that a ~700ft section of CN Track 1 north of 14-37 (the current north end of the CN interlocking) will be available to allow an inbound NICTD train to complete the crossover of CN and wait for the final connection to MED Track 4. This would keep the North and South Kensington Interlockings separate instead of requiring a route all the way from NICTD to MED Track 4 to be clear before a train starts across.
  by doepack

justalurker66 wrote:Cool. The redo at Kensington adds complication.
Amen to that. But it's a challenge, so it's all good. Can't wait to see how it all works out...
justalurker66 wrote:I'm hoping that a ~700ft section of CN Track 1 north of 14-37 (the current north end of the CN interlocking) will be available to allow an inbound NICTD train to complete the crossover of CN and wait for the final connection to MED Track 4. This would keep the North and South Kensington Interlockings separate instead of requiring a route all the way from NICTD to MED Track 4 to be clear before a train starts across.
Hm. Then this would require an additional signal mast in both directions on CN 1 at 14-21, which is the next bridge north of 14-37. My (2007) profile copy doesn't show any signals on the CN side at 14-21, (approach signal for Kensington is located about a 1/2 mile north at 13-73), only the two absolutes for MT 1 & 2 controlled by CCF on the Metra side that control southbound traffic through the depot are shown here. Funny you should mention a separate interlocking just north of the current plant; I was thinking the same thing, because this is where it will likely be.
justalurker66 wrote:We won't know the signaling until it is installed (unless an insider offers up details).
Unlike other boards, we don't get a lot of that here, unfortunately. So educated guesses will have to do in the meantime...
  by justalurker66

doepack wrote:Hm. Then this would require an additional signal mast in both directions on CN 1 at 14-21, which is the next bridge north of 14-37. My (2007) profile copy doesn't show any signals on the CN side at 14-21, (approach signal for Kensington is located about a 1/2 mile north at 13-73), only the two absolutes for MT 1 & 2 controlled by CCF on the Metra side that control southbound traffic through the depot are shown here. Funny you should mention a separate interlocking just north of the current plant; I was thinking the same thing, because this is where it will likely be.
A southbound signal on CN Track 1 at 14-21 will be required to protect the new connection. A northbound signal controlled by CN will be required to protect their track. You are correct that there are no CN track signals on 14-21 now. That is the expected location of one of the new signal bridges (extending 14-21 across the CN tracks - although I could swear that in my photographs the signals are numbered 1420).

There are north and southbound signals on 14-37 (the current north end of the interlocking on the CN tracks) for CN Tracks 1 and 2. CN Tracks 3 and 4 have southbound signals protecting the interlocking but no northbound signals (an END OF BLOCK sign is present). 14-37 is just north of the Kensington platform and has northbound signals for entering the northern Kensington interlocking but no southbound signals.

Today Kensington can logically be divided into two plants. The main interlocking extends on CN from bridge 14-37 to 14-78 and on Metra from bridge 14-51 to 14-78 and includes the NICTD connection across the CN lines to their CP 75.3. The northern interlocking is only on Metra from bridge 14-37 to 14-21. Today nothing that Metra does on the "northern" interlocking affects CN. That will change.

I'm expecting that change will be by adding the span from 14-26 to 14-21 on CN Track 1 to the northern interlocking ... keeping it separate from the main interlocking. That would leave about 580ft between 14-26 and 14-37 ... long enough for a 6 car train to be clear of both interlockings (similar to the way an eight car train can be clear of both interlockings while at the platform). The northbound CN Track 1 signal on 14-37 could be removed under such a plan.

There are new concrete bases north of 113th St that line up with 14-26 and 14-21 that could be used to extend signal bridges across all four CN tracks.
  by justalurker66

A quick update from the September NICTD Board Meeting Minutes (pdf link) on the CTC project between Michigan City and South Bend (referring to the entire third phase).
There are 32 route miles to go in order to complete this project. All equipment has been installed from Karwick Road in Michigan City to the Hudson Lake area. Eight grade crossings have been improved and fully signalized with gates and flashers. Range Road and Springville Road were converted from passive to active warning devices enabling train speeds to increase from 65 to 79 mph resulting in 14 miles of continuous 79 mph territory, mp 31.6 to mp 17.6 (longest straight stretch on the railroad). NICTD anticipates cutting over the signal system between Karwick Road and Birchim this fall (12.7 miles – 39%). Mr. Babin estimates complete cutover to happen in the spring of 2011.
At the moment the crew is working near Olive. All crossings are complete west of (but not including) Walnut Rd east of New Carlisle. New signals are in place but not in use at the west end of Olive (Smilax Rd). The new signals are in partial use at Birchim (with the 2nd track signals and diverging signals covered) and at 165/166. The other new intermediates are not in use.

Getting Birchim remote controlled will help with meets. Likewise with Olive (which was used for the extra Notre Dame passenger trains this fall). I assume that dual control switches and track and time will be used at Olive for freight operations. The area is very busy with trains out there several times a week shuffling cars.

Further from the same minutes:
NICTD’s project is to install a bi-pass track through the Kensington interlocking allowing NICTD trains to have parallel movement with the Metra trains into tracks 3 and 4 on the northern end. The goal is to eliminate delays entering Metra’s tracks. This project should be complete in the spring of 2011.
I thought the new connection was just to track 4? Am I reading this right that the new connection will have access to both or are they saying parallel as in a Metra train on track 3 and a NICTD train on track 4 at the same time?

[Note: The board minutes are released following the next meeting - the September minutes quoted here were released this week following last Friday's meeting.]