Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

AMTK84 wrote:406 went to RI to replace 422; 213 went to BN to replace 406; remember that 411 has been on MILW/NCS since it came back from rebuild.
I can confirm seeing 213 on BNSF this morning. Its leading 186 on an 8-car set.
  by meh

Daily Herald wrote:He said one trip that won't serve commuters well is the 7:02 p.m. train from Antioch that runs nonstop to Chicago once it leaves Grayslake.
Have any of you ridden this run, Metra 118? If so, can you confirm that it sometimes or always runs over the CP Fox Lake and C&M subs between the CN/Fox Lake interlocking and Union Station? It seems it probably would run in between Metra 2154 and 2156.

I saw an inbound Metra train running express through Deerfield after dark on the CP C&M main last week. At the time I just assumed that something had gone wrong and they were deadheading a train to get equipment repositioned. But last night I heard the C&M dispatcher giving movement authority to Metra 118 from the CN interlocking to Rondout.

Anyway, if this is how they're running this train, I find that pretty interesting operationally. When Amtrak detoured via this route in December, it got me thinking that although the single-track Fox Lake line has limited capacity (and is virtually unidirectional during rush hours), there might be other possibilities for how Metra service is routed. For instance, maybe the midday MILW-N trains that currently turn short at Grayslake (in order not to conflict with inbound trains from Fox Lake) could be routed up to Antioch instead, providing more midday service there.
  by MikeF

meh wrote:For instance, maybe the midday MILW-N trains that currently turn short at Grayslake ... could be routed up to Antioch instead, providing more midday service there.
Stop right there -- that type of logical thinking isn't allowed in a Metra discussion! :P

by doepack

Does anyone know the historical significance of the use of purple for the NCS schedules? Each of the other ten routes have timetable colors to reflect that line's heritage of its predecessor railroads or it's previous passenger service as is the case with the UP and Milwaukee district lines. To honor this line's pre-CN past under Soo and then WC ownership, perhaps an alternate shade of red or maroon would've been more appropriate. The purple scheme is presented attractively on the schedules, but I fail to see what role (if any) this color played in this line's past, unless it was chosen by school children in a contest or something...
  by doepack

meh wrote:Anyway, if this is how they're running this train, I find that pretty interesting operationally. When Amtrak detoured via this route in December, it got me thinking that although the single-track Fox Lake line has limited capacity (and is virtually unidirectional during rush hours), there might be other possibilities for how Metra service is routed. For instance, maybe the midday MILW-N trains that currently turn short at Grayslake (in order not to conflict with inbound trains from Fox Lake) could be routed up to Antioch instead, providing more midday service there.
That's not a bad idea, but I'd like to see Pace get into the act first by either adding new routes, or modifying existing ones experimentally to serve the currently "Pace-less" stations of Washington St., RLB, Lake Villa, and Antioch before a second midday Metra train is added. A combination of the two options could work as well, perhaps providing limited service initially to these stations to ensure the demand potential is there. But any increase in Metra service will result in CN asking for more money anyway, and given Metra's somewhat contentious and at times acrimonious negotiating history with CN, asking for more service on the heels of a recent expansion could be dicey...

by doepack

NCS schedule modifications ahead?

New Metra schedule prompts meeting
George Houde

May 4, 2006

BUFFALO GROVE -- A meeting between Metra officials and local government
leaders, including U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), is scheduled for Monday,
and Buffalo Grove Trustee Jeffrey Berman hopes it will bring two more
commuter trains through his town.

The meeting will be held at 1 p.m. in Village Hall to discuss solutions to
what Berman called inadequate service on the North Central line since Metra
revised its schedule in February. Metra is running 20 trains a day on the
line, Berman said.

Berman said complaints about North Central service have been growing and he
has forwarded them to Metra officials.

Phil Pagano, Metra's executive director, will attend the meeting, said Judy
Pardonnet, a Metra spokeswoman.

Berman said there also have been numerous complaints about travel times and
peak-period service.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

by doepack

Yesterday (5/9), I decided to take a closer look at the NCS line, my first ride on this route since the service expansions began. Of particular interest to me was the overall progress of the four new stations that had recently opened, as well as the interesting routing of train 118, the last inbound train of the day that runs express from Grayslake to CUS via the Fox Lake and C&M subdivisions...

My trip began on train 113, departing CUS at 1731. Upon departure, I fully expected us to be inching behind MDN 2141, which left a minute earlier. But, much to my pleasant surprise, such was not the case. The dispatcher at Lake St. tower just north of the depot and A-2 lined us onto track 3 (from CUS to B12, tracks are numbered north to south, which puts track 3 as the southernmost track, normally used for EB moves), meaning that we ran left-handed from CUS to Western Ave. The dispatcher at Tower A-2 kept us on track 3 as well, all the way through A-5 and onto MDW trackage. Altough conditions were obviously favorable enough to put additional westbound traffic on a second main, I wondered why track 3 was selected instead of the center track. Between CUS and A-2, tracks 1 and 3 were signalled for westward movements, while the center track was signalled eastward. Seemed pretty strange, but I guess that's just Metra being Metra. Anyway, we went from 3 to 2 at Galewood, then ran center track to B12, where we curved onto CN's Waukesha subdivision.

First stop was Belmont Ave, Franklin Park. The waiting room appears to be coming along, but certain sections of the platform have yet to be filled in, particularly toward the south end along MT2. As we left the station, a rather long freight train was parked on track 3, the yard lead to Schiller Park yard, otherwise known as "CP lead". This train had to be a good 9000 feet or so, it stretched within 1/4 mile of the CN yard office at Lawrence Ave, about a block N of the new Schiller Park depot. This station looks pretty much done, shelter, platforms, lighting both trackside and in the parking lot have been installed and are working. Next stop was Rosemont, which is quite non-descript and isolated. You're basically along I-294 here, but it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. There are stairs leading from the platform up to Bryn Mawr Ave, and I'm guessing that's where the shelter was, because I didn't see one trackside. Except for the yellow tactile edging, the platform is finished, but, like many other stations on this line, it is strictly a parking lot station.

Meanwhile, on all two track sections of the railroad, the left-handed running theme of the journey remained constant. Note that although a second (and in some areas a third) main track has been installed along a good portion of this line, there are still some areas that remain single track totalling approximately six miles. Due to logisitical and geographical issues, a second main cannot be added in these locations. Areas of remaining single trackage are located:

--From MP 22.8 to MP 24.7, between the O'hare transfer and Prospect Heights stations, this segment also includes the UP crossings at Deval.

--From MP 40.5 to MP 44.0, between the Mundelein station and Metra's MDN crossing at Grayslake.

--From MP 46.0 to MP 48.5, between the new Grayslake station and Round Lake Beach.

I got off the train at Grayslake, and of the four new stations, it is by far the most attractive one. Stylishly landscaped with a small, but comfortable waiting room, and when viewed from the parking lot, it projects a very cool, polished feel. It is evident that you've hit rural suburbia by now, but it still blends in very well with the relaxed, quiet surroundings.

For my non-stop return trip downtown, I boarded train 118. Including myself, there were four other people on the train: Two conductors, the engineer, and another passenger. That was it. With the train pretty much to ourselves, this was a perfect oppurtunity for me to view the scene from the front window of the cab car. Shortly after leaving the depot, we went onto the connecting track toward the Fox Lake sub, and waited there for about 5 min. until WB 2147 cleared. Once we got the highball, off we went, winding through Libertyville on the single track as we closed in on the C&M mains at Rondout. After slowing for the 25mph limit through Rondout as we joined the C&M southbound, the engineer began to open the throttle shortly after crossing the EJE. And that throttle stayed pretty open the rest of the way, indeed, by the time we hit Lake Forest, we were crusing at track speed, in excess of 70mph, in other words, WE WERE FLYING!! Man, what a ride! Nothing but green signals all the way. The suburbs of Northbrook, Deerfield, and Glenview went by in a blur. We made it from Rondout to CUS in just under 30 minutes, almost Hiawatha standards, and despite the wait at Grayslake, the train arrived downtown four minutes early. That was fun.

Still, all wasn't perfect: The five car train I rode back downtown was powered by F40PHM-2 #212 (shouldn't this unit be on RI?) with four extra cabs in the consist, in other words, a SOLID set of 8500's. I could do nothing except roll my eyes and shake my head in dismay. But a great ride nonetheless...

by metraRI

doepack wrote:Altough conditions were obviously favorable enough to put additional westbound traffic on a second main, I wondered why track 3 was selected instead of the center track. Between CUS and A-2, tracks 1 and 3 were signalled for westward movements, while the center track was signalled eastward. Seemed pretty strange, but I guess that's just Metra being Metra.
I do see the logic in using track 3 instead of track 2, due to the way A-5 is set up. Running an outbound train on track 3 gives inbound traffic on MD-N an open block, as track 3 continues with MD-W.
doepack wrote:The five car train I rode back downtown was powered by F40PHM-2 #212 (shouldn't this unit be on RI?) with four extra cabs in the consist, in other words, a SOLID set of 8500's. I could do nothing except roll my eyes and shake my head in dismay.
210-214 have all been reassigned off RI, so its now calling NCS/MILW home. It also doesn't make sense to me why there are so many 8500's trailing, mainly on BNSF and MILW where there are 8400's leading SWS and HC sets. Though there isn't much difference, the horns on the 8400's used by SWS and HC get quite annoying.

by MetraBNSF

There was an 8500 trailing on a SWS set today with 125 as the lead engine. I think it was 8582.

by doepack

metraRI wrote:I do see the logic in using track 3 instead of track 2, due to the way A-5 is set up. Running an outbound train on track 3 gives inbound traffic on MD-N an open block, as track 3 continues with MD-W.
Understood. And if Metra ever started storing additional equipment at CUS during midday, they'd probably be able to open up the second main for outbound traffic sooner, since there would be fewer equipment moves to interfere with the regular inbound traffic...
metraRI wrote:210-214 have all been reassigned off RI, so its now calling NCS/MILW home. It also doesn't make sense to me why there are so many 8500's trailing, mainly on BNSF and MILW where there are 8400's leading SWS and HC sets. Though there isn't much difference, the horns on the 8400's used by SWS and HC get quite annoying.
I know 211 has been on MILW/NCS for quite sometime. And as for the excessive use of the cabs on NCS, only the dartboard knows for sure. It's hardly significant in the grand scheme of things, but for some reason I can't explain, it just drives me crazy. Also, isn't it ironic that NCS train 118 is now the longest express train that Metra runs in revenue service, yet it runs AFTER the evening rush hour in the inbound direction? I thought operating practices like that were only confined to NYC...

by MetraBNSF

doepack wrote:Also, isn't it ironic that NCS train 118 is now the longest express train that Metra runs in revenue service, yet it runs AFTER the evening rush hour in the inbound direction?
How many cars does #118 run with?

by doepack

It had five cars on it when I rode a couple of days ago, so I'm guessing that's the normal consist...

by MikeF

I suppose this is proper thread ... Does anyone know the schedule for the construction of the new station at Cicero Avenue on the MD-W/NCS, and the related closing of the Hermosa and Cragin stations?

by doepack

Once the expanded service on NCS began, the new Cicero station was originally supposed to come online with the other four new NCS stations. Then in February, Metra officials had hoped to have the station open for business in May, which will obviously be missed as well. As to whether or not construction is actually complete yet, I have no idea, but AFAIK, no new opening date has been announced yet...

by metraRI

Are NCS trains going to actually stop at the new station...or is it just included with the NCS New Start Funding? After all the complaining about not getting those 2 more trains...what is going to happen when 2 more minutes gets added to the schedule for the new addition.