Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

I'm really starting to believe they came up with a new paint job for the engines on SouthShore Freight because I heard last night from a person who was talking to the trainmaster about it. He said they are painting them something different but, he's not sure what the new scheme looks like. Something tells me they won't be a secrective as the UP was with their engines.

by CSX ENG

I would imagine that the South Shore does not have the facilities to paint equipment, right? But I could have swore I saw a CSS GP38-2 at NRE in Dixmoor within the last month. Will keep you posted.......

by PRRGuy

GP-38-2 2000 was seen in a W&S train headed up to Horicon, The South Shore GP you may have seen in Dixmoor was the 2003 earlier in the year. It was there for a truck change out.

by Tadman

better not be some crummy green and purple or blue and yellow... south shore trains are orange and maroon when painted. We're going to pretend the 1001 isn't painted.

by dinwitty

suppose I took my HO little Joe down to them as a reminder...

by Tadman

mebbe we take up a collection for a copy of the morning sun book to be gifted to the folks at carrol avenue...

then note how awkward the CSS herald looks on a C&O or FEC geep...

they'll stick to orange and maroon.

by PRRGuy

I'll be more then happy to collect that book, bring it by..make sure it's volume 2 though, I have the first one already lol

by Metra 47 607

I really hope they dont change the South shore paint scheme it is great just the way it is. I love seeing south shore freight trains with that great traction orange paint scheme. Don't change it!!

by Tadman

Yeah PRR, we'll get that ready for you. Meet us by the old Willard Street station in MC at 2am, we'll drop if off in the RailRoad.net van. Anybody know where Otto put the keys?

And shouldn't it be the rr.net hi-rail van?

by PRRGuy

2am..hmmm..I'll see if I can grab a NICTD truck and swing by. Cuts into my lunch time though. Heck, I'd better just grab one of our cars and run extra to 11th street and back.

by PRRGuy

Ok, here's the latest scoop. I talked to a guy down at the RIP track. He said that the engines are still most likely still going to be orange and maroon and the only changes he knows of are the pilots are supposed to be painted silver and the front logo on the nose will say "South Shore Freight" instead of " South Shore Line" also, the font of the other lettering will be changed and possibly the striping could be modified.

by Tadman

sounds like a classy change.

Also, PRR, the Willard street area is the area with the signs noting a "public safety improvement zone" - Otto won't let us drive the RR.net van in risky areas anymore, after the rims got ripped off while MikeF had it parked in the rough parts of town a few weekends ago.

by CSX ENG

Tadman wrote:Check 'er out...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/177 ... 0211upKvEE
Exactly where is the photo of the new/modified paint scheme? I can't seem to find it........

by Tadman

No that's the RR.net van. No modified paint scheme sightings yet, as no units were at Burnham yard today.