Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

CSS 2000 has been returned to the South Shore wearing a fresh paint job that is only a slight modification from the previous one.
Last edited by MikeF on Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by PRRGuy

Haha, you'd think rr.net could afford a little bigger van. Somehow I doubt we could get 4 railfans plus a weekends worth of supplies in there.

In other news 2000 is back, It's currently sitting outside the RIP track building on track 3.

by MikeF

Here are two pictures, taken during the wee hours of the morning Friday, Oct. 7, of the CSS 2000 on the Belt Railway of Chicago en route to the South Shore from the Wisconsin & Southern's Horicon paint shop. The color is a little off due to the sodium-vapor lighting -- the striping and lettering really is maroon, not black.

The only major changes from the previous paint scheme are the silver plow and the italic lettering in the nose herald.

Both photos by Paul Swanson, posted with permission.

by CSX ENG

Excellent photos! Looks like someone forgot to add the FRA-mandated reflectorized striping to the side sill...

by PRRGuy

Rip Track is going to add those sometime this week before it goes out. It was out running back and forth in the yard this morning also. I can't wait for the reflective striping gets put on...get those pesky builders plates off there. :P

by CSS&SB702

Also noticed that the word "freight" has replaced the word "line" on the sides. I still like that paint job. :-D Does anybody else remember that this same unit (and #2001), had a silver pilot for awhile back in 1985? It also had different style numbers in the number boards. Oh yeah, 2000 also had a 5 chime horn for awhile too.

by Tadman

I like, except for the numbers on the cab side - I prefer the font on the newer 100 series MU's and the similar font on SF or SP - the classical railroad font.

by PRRGuy

I Went back over to the RIP track shop today and noticed that the yellow scotchlite stickers were added to the frame.

by Metra 47 607

I think it looks good at least they stayed with the orange. I dont really like the numbers on the cab either but overall its good.

by JLJ061

Might even look better if they went with the EJ&E look, and paint the trucks and fuel tank silver as well! :-D

by PRRGuy

I see I wasn't the only one thinking that. It does kind of remind you of the "J" doesn't it?

by Tadman

Metra bilevel trucks are silver (except ME) and it looks great. I don't understand how they keep them clean, but it works somehow.

by MikeF

Tadman wrote:I don't understand how they keep them clean, but it works somehow.
They repaint them frequently, that's how.

by PRRGuy

I always figured they had a hidden team of munchkins armed with toothbrushs cleaning them. :P

by MikeF

Ssssssshhhh, no one's supposed to know about the munchkins. They're the best-kept secret at Western Avenue, where "no one ever goes in, and no one ever comes out!" :wink: