• New locomotives purchased for Greenbush?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dudeursistershot

What would be the benefits of electrifying the commuter rail? faster maximum speeds, or just better acceleration? i would assume that MBCR trains never reach their max speeds, but maybe i'm wrong...

by CSX Conductor

dudeursistershot wrote:What would be the benefits of electrifying the commuter rail?
Benefits:
1) Quicker acceleration
2) Quieter with electrics vs. diesel

Negatives:
1) Lots of tax dollars and possibly fare increases to off-set costs of converting the lines to electric.
2) Lots of delays while the construction is under way.
dudeursisitershot wrote:i would assume that MBCR trains never reach their max speeds, but maybe i'm wrong.
Yes they do reach their top speeds, except for in places where there are either lower track speeds or when they are on a stretch of track where the station stops are close together (i.e. the Needham Branch between Roslindale & West Roxbury).

FYI: The MBTA's locomotives have max speeds of 100 MPH, but never do that due to the fact that MBTA coaches have a 80 MPH max speed. :(

by dudeursistershot

CSX Conductor wrote:
dudeursistershot wrote:What would be the benefits of electrifying the commuter rail?
Benefits:
1) Quicker acceleration
2) Quieter with electrics vs. diesel

Negatives:
1) Lots of tax dollars and possibly fare increases to off-set costs of converting the lines to electric.
2) Lots of delays while the construction is under way.
dudeursisitershot wrote:i would assume that MBCR trains never reach their max speeds, but maybe i'm wrong.
Yes they do reach their top speeds, except for in places where there are either lower track speeds or when they are on a stretch of track where the station stops are close together (i.e. the Needham Branch between Roslindale & West Roxbury).

FYI: The MBTA's locomotives have max speeds of 100 MPH, but never do that due to the fact that MBTA coaches have a 80 MPH max speed. :(
MBTA commuter trains reach 80 mph? Wow, never knew that, I didn't think they got about 55 mph or so...

Are there any benefits in terms of maintenance? Do electric locomotives break down less often? And how much time, do you think, would be saved by the quicker acceleration on, say, the attleboro line?

thanks for the info...

EDIT: http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/pmt/PMT-2.pdf says average 5 minutes, up to 12 minutes saved. cost? 2 billion.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

why are the passenger cars limited to 80 mph?

by ST214

Hey all, i'm back for good now, hopefully. I know i said that about 2 months ago but a monkeywrench got thrown into that gearbox. Anyway...

SD70MAC's are out for 2 reasons.....1 No longer in production 2 no HEP
Alaska's GP40's are equipped with HEP

Have been told both F69's were scrapped.

Amtrak F40's are unfortunately out too, as they cut up most of them and there aren't enough left to make that plan work

And yes, the T does do 80. Try riding in a 600 on an express train slowing down for 128. It's deafening, leave alone that you'd think the car was going to shake apart.

Mp36's, let's not go there. They're ugly pieces of crap.

I'm all for the FL9 idea, but i'm betting on hell to freeze over first........

by Xplorer2000

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:if they do end up buying locomotives, which they probably won't, what would they consider on getting? hopefully no more GP40MC's what else is there for passenger service like the T? F59PH? :-D
Here's a thought...GO Transit is replacing its old fleet of Phase I F-59-PHs....why not grab them up and have them rebuilt? They'd be a lot more reliable than those screw-loose GP-40MC-whatevers....

by sery2831

What is GO getting for new power? It would be better to get NEW power and it would be cheaper if the T went in with another agency. I dont think the screamers are going to hold up much longer! But they will probally outlive the GP40MCs!!! One never knows :-)

by Silverliner II

sery2831 wrote:What is GO getting for new power? It would be better to get NEW power and it would be cheaper if the T went in with another agency. I dont think the screamers are going to hold up much longer! But they will probally outlive the GP40MCs!!! One never knows :-)
GO hasn't placed an order just yet, but it is coming soon! I understand from chatting with some Canadian acquaintences on a recent trip to Toronto that they have some rusting problems with the F59PH's, among other things that are forcing them to either replace or rebuild their innards totally.

And, while I've only seen the GP40MC's from a railfan point of view, just from reading posts on this board, and talking to engineers when visiting Beantown, I would tend to agree...the Screamers will live forever!

Too bad NJT had to go and turn their Screamers into.....Moaners....LOL! :-D

by typesix

Plus, doesn't GO use different AC voltage than other agencies? Weren't the F10s configured to provide two different voltages depending on whether they were used for the rented GO cars or T equipment.

by Silverliner II

typesix wrote:Plus, doesn't GO use different AC voltage than other agencies? Weren't the F10s configured to provide two different voltages depending on whether they were used for the rented GO cars or T equipment.
Yep...GO uses 575-volt HEP. When Amtrak bought their F40PH's and GP40TC's, the HEP had to be modified to the 480-volt system used in most of the U.S.