• New Kawasaki Coach Questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CRail

Rumor has it, maybe on this long topic, maybe not, no flat has to go between the 900's and the engine. Is this true? if so, how is the ventalation system set up so this is possible???

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea its true that there doesn't have to be a single level behind the loco in order for the doubles to be there. I was told this when i went for the tour at BET, i belive the AC unit's are not at the top ends of the cars as they are now, i forget what it is exactly

by CRail

700's cant go behind power so the vents wont suck up any exhaust.

900's must have relocated ventalation intakes, but where?

by sery2831

As far as I know the 700s have been modified and can run behind the engines. But if this is so, why dont you see them in every day operations that way?

by ST214

Nope, every time i see a 700, there is a flat between it and the loco. Now, with the 900's(once accepted), we eill see pure kawasaki consists.

Hey John, when did you move to Leominster?????

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i have seen double's behind the locomotive only once, and it was on a readville shuttle consist, but was traveling on the Attleboro line, it was

1036-double-double-single-single

this was over the summer on a Sunday

by CRail

the first car must have been non-revenue, and the HVAC must have been off.

by AEM7AC920

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:yea its true that there doesn't have to be a single level behind the loco in order for the doubles to be there. I was told this when i went for the tour at BET, i belive the AC unit's are not at the top ends of the cars as they are now, i forget what it is exactly

I believe you are correct MBTA, when we did go in BET you did say something about the doubles running behind the loco and if i'm correct we were told something about them being modified, not 100% sure but I do remember enough!! :-D

by CRail

how will this effect the oos shortage. Will they just leave the OOS equip out? or will they actually try to get them back on the road still. Will 33 new cars mean longer trains too?

by Diverging Route

The purpose of the original 28-car order was to serve Greenbush; the 5-car add-on (funded by Rhode Island) is for increased Providence service.

Hopefully between the time that the cars are accepted and the start of Greenbush service, train lengths can be restored, and OOS cars can be repaired so that when additional sets are needed for Greenbush, the augmented/restored lengths can be maintained.

by CSX Conductor

Corey, this re-modifying of the 700's was discusssed in a previous thread. They can be behind the loco.

The main reason why there will be a flat in a consist of 700's is to provide a restroom on the trin....which will not be necessary since the 900's are bathroom equipped.

by CRail

I have been told by mult MBCR employees that they cannot because of ventalation.

How would they modify this, wouldnt that be built into the framework?

by AEM7AC920

It seems that some employees haven't been updated lately... :wink:

by CRail

csx
then why is there a 200/600, or even a 500 behind the loco when there is a 1500 at the other end?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

for the passengers towards the front, i wouldn't want to walk 6 coach's to the bathroom after a long day of work, would you,? lol