Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

I think Otto was correct to close that other thread, the insults and nasty statements about the PD were totally out of line. Safety of the entire public is priority one, and desires of photographers is way down on the list. Give it a rest with the PD, and just shoot pictures when you can and where you can without a hassle. Giving the PD a hard time, will give them reason to bother all of us. I hope this gets posted even for a brief time, I think the PD needs to be allowed to do their job.

by R142A

While I mostly agree with you, the PD also has to enforce the law on the books.
I am going to deviate from the LIRR for a second to talk about another MTA agency, NYCTA Subways. Transit cops often write up summonses for violation of NYCTA Rules of Conduct Section 1050.9(c) which they say bans photography. In fact, here is the actual text of the rule:
Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provision of these Rules.
See, photography is legal on NYCTA Subways, yet cops decide to not read the books and enforce a non-existant rule. Now, if you do get a summons, you simply write a letter explaining the rule on the books, get it notarized, send it into TAB court, and they'll rip up your summons. But cops should not be enforcing laws that do not exist.

Going back to the LIRR, it's a very similar situation, except that the MTA Police cannot write you summonses. But they can tell you to stop. Now, the LIRR does not have a rules of conduct posted online, nor do I believe that they even have a full rules of conduct. But there is no rule that says that photography is illegal on the LIRR. Therefore, the MTA Cops have no right to bother us unless we are creating a potentially hazardous or dangerous condition.

by Clemuel

R142A,

If you read my previous posts you'll see why you are mistaken. This is not an issue of LIRR rules, it's Federal Law as in CFR. And you can be summoned for many violations...

If you don't believe me or the laws that I cited, simply ask a State Police Officer or even an MTA Officer.

But this is getting old already. I think Otto dumped that thread because he's hoping the whiney group talks about something more interesting...

Clem

by R142A

Clemuel wrote:R142A,

If you read my previous posts you'll see why you are mistaken. This is not an issue of LIRR rules, it's Federal Law as in CFR. And you can be summoned for many violations...

If you don't believe me or the laws that I cited, simply ask a State Police Officer or even an MTA Officer.

But this is getting old already. I think Otto dumped that thread because he's hoping the whiney group talks about something more interesting...

Clem
There is no federal law banning photography. It would've been attacked already. Also, I am right about the NYCTA subways rule, and I really don't care what an MTA Police Officer says - NYPD officers often don't know what they're talking about anyway (think NYCTA ROC Section 1050.9(c))

by Lirr168

R142A,

Clem is 100% right. WHile they cannot legally fine/arrest you for photography, there are a hundred other stupid rules that they can get you for, things you probably do everyday. Don't screw with 'em, a cop looking to make your life miserable can screw you big time, and legally! Don't mess with them, it's for your own good.

BTW, let's leave the NYPD out of this. I have never heard of them giving railfans trouble and they truly do risk life and limb everyday. In addition, as i said in the Security Out of Hand thread, i now know it's not the MTA cops who are to blame, it's the execs who tell them how to act; check out my comment there to see what I mean.

by R142A

Lirr168 wrote:R142A,

Clem is 100% right. WHile they cannot legally fine/arrest you for photography, there are a hundred other stupid rules that they can get you for, things you probably do everyday. Don't screw with 'em, a cop looking to make your life miserable can screw you big time, and legally! Don't mess with them, it's for your own good.

BTW, let's leave the NYPD out of this. I have never heard of them giving railfans trouble and they truly do risk life and limb everyday. In addition, as i said in the Security Out of Hand thread, i now know it's not the MTA cops who are to blame, it's the execs who tell them how to act; check out my comment there to see what I mean.
Hold on, I won't leave the NYPD-Transit Cops out of this. I have had friends ticketed before for violation of a rule that worked in their favor - and the charges were dropped because the officer didn't know what they were talking about. Also, I have been told by cops before not to photograph while on NYC Transit Subdivision C March of Dimes Trips! They tell you where to photograph! I told the cops about rule 1050.9(c), and they said, "I know the rule! And you can't photograph!" So I showed them the MoD trip brochure, and they say, "Well, okay, just this once..." Now, those cops looked stupid seeing NYC Transit material in their hands allowing us to photograph. So, I will bring in the NYPD in this case.

by Lirr168

They probably only the gave the ticket to meet a quota set by their bosses. I will say again, let's leave the beat cops alone and focus our efforts toward the execs.

by R142A

Lirr168 wrote:They probably only the gave the ticket to meet a quota set by their bosses. I will say again, let's leave the beat cops alone and focus our efforts toward the execs.
It wasn't a quota. If a ticket doesn't go through, it doesn't meet the quota. A cop cannot write tickets for laws which do not exist. Plain and simple.

by Lirr168

True R142A, but he may have been attempting to meet a quota by writing whatever he could. But you're right, he can't write a ticket for fake laws.