• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Steamboat Willie

The hiring freeze is indeed very much true, as the class hired for April being the last class for 2009 due to budget constraints. Anyone who said they are not in need for conductors has their heads in the sand. Anyone who knows the current situation would tell you otherwise. They even cancelled the class of new hire engineers recently.

Best advice would be to be patient. I would think further testing may be done to develop their pool of candidates for when the time comes when they can start to hire again. This recession is very much true, and the railroad is not immune to it.
  by east84th

I heard different. The reason they cancelled the engineers class is because they have too many engineers and not enough conductors. They are getting ready for another class of asst conductors and are still hiring
  by truck6018

east84th wrote:...... They are getting ready for another class of asst conductors and are still hiring
Who's still hiring? Not Metro North or MTA. Word from 347 is the freeze is on. Only those who have been given a job offer prior to the freeze will be hired.
  by east84th

Does todays bailout of the MTA mean people will also get hired?
  by RearOfSignal

As of this posting, no official deal has been made, only tentative.
  by east84th

assuming they pass it, will it mean hiring?
  by RearOfSignal

I don't think the MTA thinks two moves ahead. As far as MNR, the AC class that just went in last week was supposed to be the last for the year, irregardless of the hiring freeze.
  by east84th

Steamboat Willie wrote:
Just some kind advice. They are forming a class for April and one probably in June/July. The time lines for how long the wait will be is also found in the previous pages so do not get nervous if it takes a few weeks to hear back from this test. That is the norm. Just expect anything at any given time.
Did someone tell you that it was the last class for the year? Steamboat believes that a class may be formed for June/July.
  by RearOfSignal

east84th wrote:
Steamboat Willie wrote:
Just some kind advice. They are forming a class for April and one probably in June/July. The time lines for how long the wait will be is also found in the previous pages so do not get nervous if it takes a few weeks to hear back from this test. That is the norm. Just expect anything at any given time.
Did someone tell you that it was the last class for the year? Steamboat believes that a class may be formed for June/July.
If you want to believe Steamboat that's fine, just notice that several posts up even he stated that the April class would be the last one for a while. Believe what you want. But the company is cutting the excess. Consider too that there are 49 people still in training that have not marked up yet.
  by Steamboat Willie

At the time of my post, things have changed since then. As of right now, the class hired a few weeks ago in April is the last class for 2009. Do they still need people? Absolutely, but like mentioned before hand, the railroad and more importantly the MTA is not immune to this recession.

Things are degrading to the point where service cuts are being implemented and the freezing of any OT on certain jobs. This is the company's reaction to the economic hardship. I'm sure once the worst is behind us and things start to pick up they will resume with their hiring.
  by DutchRailnut

Correct the April testing session is canceled till further notice.
  by east84th

I guess this is a constant changing thing. At the end of the day they will still need more conductors. And on the bright side (if there is any), there will be no additional people in the pool waiting; which will increase my chances when the time comes.
  by chipz150

k
Last edited by chipz150 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

This thread is about hiring(testing) not about internal politics of MNCR.
And as side note: what makes you think your qualified just because you pass Choo Choo U ???
  by chipz150

k
Last edited by chipz150 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.