Railroad Forums 

• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#683341  by truck6018

If you speak of the written test, it is separate from the interview.

Upon receiving the invitation for the written test you must pass the test. It takes a week or two to find out you passed. After you receive notice you passed, application is sent for a back ground check. Should you make it though the back ground check you name is thrown into a pool of potential hires.

Only when they look to hire they will start interviewing. When I took my written test the recruiter said it could be 6 months or two years before you are called, if you are called. Once you get an invitation for an interview, you will be scheduled for a PAT (Physical Ability Test) at the same time. Should you successfully make it though those, then you get a call for a medical exam.

All of the tests are easy, the most important thing is follow directions in your correspondence. Example, if you are told to report at NWP for the written test @ 11:00 with two #2 pencils. Be there @ 10:45 with 3 pencils. Also make sure the application is complete! There are a lot of information asked for. Neatness counts.

Good luck!
 #683372  by truck6018

Oh, I forgot.... the things that may be asked during the interview (all the questions are from a script).

After some small talk about you there will be questions such as:

"What do you like the most and least of your current job"?

"In your opinion, what is the position of coach cleaner involve"?

"Are you willing to work various hours (overnights) and various days of the week"?

"Are you willing to work at a job for less pay than the one you were hired for"?

"Are you familiar with the bidding and bumping process"?

I know a few weeks ago the coach cleaner position was posted on the MNR website. Did you submit the online application with resume attached? If you didn't attach the resume you may want to go back and do so.
 #683409  by shadys211

thanks for that information
I can't believe it would take 6 months to 2 years before they call back, so should I get another job in the mean while?

I did complete the online resume/application before submitting. I know some of the positions that were up (laborer and janitorial) were for future vacancies, but i don't remember if coach cleaner was.
I did apply for those too, so if I was qualified for those, would they invite me for the test again or what?
 #683533  by truck6018

As of right not all positions posted are for future vacancies as there is still a hiring freeze in place.

If you get lucky enough to get a test invitation for more than one position then yes, you will have to go for different tests. One thing I can say about the tests is the custodian test and the coach cleaner test are the same.

As far as that 6 month to 2 year for a call back after the test. That's the time frame IF they call you back. If there are discrepancies found in your background check you will not be called at all. Between the hiring freeze and the ratio of applicants to hires, I would most certainly get a job if you don't already have one.
 #683694  by truck6018

Jayjay1213 wrote:Actually the hiring freeze was lifted a few weeks ago. Saw two new hires doing the tour of GCT on Monday as part of new hire orientation.
Really? Interesting. There are jobs being abolished in my craft effective June 30th.
 #683695  by truck6018

shadys211 wrote:for Metro North it's $17.50 at 70% to start, then it goes up ten percent and the final pay is $25.00
The pay is actually just shy of $25.00/hr. After your first year the rate goes to 75%, second 80% until five years completed to 100% pay.
 #683800  by shadys211

truck6018 wrote:
shadys211 wrote:for Metro North it's $17.50 at 70% to start, then it goes up ten percent and the final pay is $25.00
The pay is actually just shy of $25.00/hr. After your first year the rate goes to 75%, second 80% until five years completed to 100% pay.
well actually I went to the testing today and they said 17.05 at 70% and 24.36 at 100% at 6 years
and some make 60-70k a year

they also said the hiring freeze is over

would any one happen to know what the medical exams consist of?
 #683866  by truck6018

shadys211 wrote:
well actually I went to the testing today and they said 17.05 at 70% and 24.36 at 100% at 6 years
and some make 60-70k a year

they also said the hiring freeze is over

would any one happen to know what the medical exams consist of?
That pay sounds right.

Medical exam consists of vision and hearing tests, pulmonary function, ekg, urine test for drugs and basic exam. If you get that far they say the exam takes about two hours. More realistically it only takes an hour.

How did you do on the written?
 #684040  by shadys211

that's it? it's not a psychical or anything like that?

good, it was 20 questions, multiple choice and it took me about 6 minutes lol
it was like: molxey glue removal removes glue, wax, tar, and sap and then the question was like what does molxey remove? i was like wow you must me a moron to fail :-)
 #684144  by truck6018

shadys211 wrote:that's it? it's not a psychical or anything like that?

good, it was 20 questions, multiple choice and it took me about 6 minutes lol
it was like: molxey glue removal removes glue, wax, tar, and sap and then the question was like what does molxey remove? i was like wow you must me a moron to fail :-)
The test sounds like the same exact one I took.

The medical exam is a physical exam but separate and not to be confused with the physical ability test. The physical ability is what you will be required to take if you are given an interview. It consists of demonstrating the ability to walk on uneven surfaces, stepping over a simulated third rail, pushing and pulling a door requiring 40 pounds of force, lifting up a 30 pound bucket, climbing up rails onto a platform and push a mop around with a 5 pound weight. Each section is timed and the whole evolution is required to be completed in an given time period. Again, not terribly difficult. It just weeds out some that can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

While any job is good to get hired on, getting in as a custodian might be a little better if you can get hired as such. The pay is better and there is more variety of jobs to bid on once probation is up as the TCU union craft also includes ticket agents and customer service agents just to name a few.

To transfer crafts you have to be in for a year, go through another interview where your attendance and safety records are reviewed and you loose any seniority that has been accumulated.