• Mother Seton train show.....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

Yea, I made it, a good time, and found a few books I been looking for for ages - Trail of the Blue Comet, Unique NY and LB and Triumph V, Philly to NY. I also picked up a NY and LB employee timetable and SI book from 1947

by Don31

Jtgshu wrote:Yea, I made it, a good time, and found a few books I been looking for for ages - Trail of the Blue Comet, Unique NY and LB and Triumph V, Philly to NY. I also picked up a NY and LB employee timetable and SI book from 1947
I picked up Triumph V book last week at Raritan Center. IMHO, one of the best books written about the NEC and its history.

by Jtgshu

All three of the books I picked up were well worth the money, all are tremendoulsy written, with so much information in all of them.

Triumph V is a great book..........so much interesting history in it, that is amazing how much things have changed in teh past 150 years, and how some things have not changed, and also, how teh railroads today, are faced wth some of the same problems and challenges they were faced with a hundred plus years ago.

Im curious if anyone who is involved with ARC has read adn researched the history of the PRR and the North River tunnels and Penn Station, and their building and designing, compared to the new plans for tunnels and stations into and in NYC..........

Im glad to get my hands on V, but more importantly, finding the Unique NY adn LB and the Route of the Blue Comet - to ride around these locations in Monmouth and Ocean county today, and to compare old pics and todays sights, is simply amazing..........

by Don31

Jtgshu wrote:All three of the books I picked up were well worth the money, all are tremendoulsy written, with so much information in all of them.

Triumph V is a great book..........so much interesting history in it, that is amazing how much things have changed in teh past 150 years, and how some things have not changed, and also, how teh railroads today, are faced wth some of the same problems and challenges they were faced with a hundred plus years ago.

Im curious if anyone who is involved with ARC has read adn researched the history of the PRR and the North River tunnels and Penn Station, and their building and designing, compared to the new plans for tunnels and stations into and in NYC..........

Im glad to get my hands on V, but more importantly, finding the Unique NY adn LB and the Route of the Blue Comet - to ride around these locations in Monmouth and Ocean county today, and to compare old pics and todays sights, is simply amazing..........
I picked up the NY&LB book when it first came out, another of my favs. I was actually holding the Blue Comet book on Sunday and debating, but decided not o buy. And V has many maps and pics I've never seen. Sounds like a trip to Hagley is in order....

At least in my office, I'm the only one with a sense of history. I'm being asked questions continually. Can't speak for the rest of the team though. I do know that the head engineer on the job (or a very high up at any rate) is a big railfan.