• Morris Park- desparate for the following.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by phoenix

Hey Guys. It has been a long time since I last posted here. I hope someone can help.

My computer has been AWOL for some time and I lost my only photo of Morris Park.

It was a color photo of Morris park taken from the air.

Can anyone please help? I am attempting to recreate Morris Park on a layout and really really need that photo. I have line drawing maps of the area but a real photo would be a great help.

I hope someone can help.

My email is [email protected].

I thank you so much and look forward to posting and learning more here.

by RRChef

I don't have an aerial photo of Morris Park. However, I do have photos of specific areas including the roundhouse and the transfer table which I took in the late 80's. Let me know if you would be interested in these.
  by phoenix

hey RR chef, that would be great. I lost all my MP photos (lesson learned) so the specifics of hte area would be a great help as well.

Can you email the images? Or would snail mail be better? I am in Lindenhurst.

Anyone else with an AERIAL photo of Morris Park at all? Please I was just looking at hte PC maps last night. There are a great help but the photo lends more info.

by scopelliti

There's also the TerraServer option. http://www.terraserver.com/ They do charge, but if you really need an aerial view...

by scopelliti

You can do better, but, as I mentioned, you have to pay a fee. The above link is the best resolution available without paying that fee.
  by phoenix

I had seen that as well. I will look into terraserver again.

But there is one photo out there. Someone sent it to me ages ago and it was of Morris Park, from the air, in color.

I hope one of your can help. Please.

Thanks again, Phoenix

by Dave Keller

There's a nice black and white aerial view of the Morris Park turntable, roundhouse and related tracks in Ron Ziel's book "Steel Rails to the Sunrise," taken in the 1940s.

Also, the person on e-bay selling Ziel's photos has had that shot for sale recently as well as a "birds-eye" view of the area taken from some point high up on the "newer" coaling tower (later sand tower) during the steam era.

Dave Keller

by phoenix

Dave, what is the ebay users name?

thanks, Phoenix

by Dave Keller

The seller goes by the name jkziel

I believe it's some relation of Ron's. A niece I think I read somewhere.

If you go onto e-bay and type in LIRR you will see a bunch of photos being offered by them (her?).

You can then "ask the seller a question" in the usual manner and perhaps ask them about the photos in which you're interested.

Wish I could help you, but all my shots at MPS are from ground level except one shot taken from Dunton tower in 1940 looking toward the shops.

Good luck!

Dave Keller
  by trainspot

Here is a shot (from Art Huneke's site) taken from the sanding tower:
http://arrts-arrchives.com/photo3.html
Art also has some beautiful builders shots of C420s and an RS-1 in his section titled "Things you wouldn't expect to see in color"

by phoenix

I would like to thank you all thus far for all the help and emails that I have gotten. Many of the photos I have been sent recently are VERY informative.

However, please, can you guys spread the word and pool more resources? There is one photo that I am in dire search of and I simply cannot find it. That one photo of Morris Park, taken from the air, not via satellite, in color, sometime past the 1970's.

Help? Anyone please.

Thank you so much for everything thus far.

by phoenix

thanks for hte tip but what do I have to click on exactly? I just tried and found no satelite iimages.
  by trainspot

When I zoomed in very far, it wasn't sharp enough to detirmine track detail.