• Morris Park- desparate for the following.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by John 61

It was a fun link. Click the "+" {plus} glass in the tools to keep zooming. Seems that the images in suffolk are from around 2001 and very clear. The images in Queens were from between 1994-96 and not very good.

by Lupo 10

Yeah, my neighbors house wasn't built yet and my roof looks horrible! Good thing I had it redone last year..LOL.

by phoenix

I was hoping to rehash the orignal quesiton in the hopes that someone out there has that photo that I am looking for. Any other leads please?

I have tons of detail taken from ground level but nothing taken from the air and I know one aerial photo exists out there.

please help.

thanks, Phoenix

by Dave Keller

Ziel just ofered it again on e-bay about a week ago.

It's not listed now.

They keep re-listing week after week. Keep an eye out for it! It may come up again.

It's the 1949 aerial view that appears in "Steel Rails to the Sunrise," showing the entire 23-bay roundhouse with a load of locomotives laying up everywhere and the "new" coaling tower at the far right and Atlantic Ave. beyond that. Lots of DD1s laying up alongside the Montauk branch embankment and the Richmond Hill storage yard beyond that.

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

By the way:

The shot was originally from, I believe, the New York Daily News archives.

Therefore, you-know-who has obviously had a copy negative made and is reproducing from it, just as is being done with the 1870s George Brainard shots, negatives of which are the property of the Brooklyn Public Library.

I've noticed some of my shots up for sale as well . . . . .

Hm..............veddy eenterestink!

Dave Keller

by JoeLIRR

emfinite & I were looking through some steam era phots that i have saved on my pc and came across this one of morris park, maby it will help..

by JoeLIRR

Roger, Dave.

I save alot os steam pics and happened to stumble over that one last nite

by Clemuel

That picture was from the Daily News and was taken during the strike.

C

by Dave Keller

Yeah . . .
Ron Ziel made a copy negative of it and has been selling copies of it for years. I'm sure the Daily News would have something to say if they found out!

I occasionally see his relative selling copies of it on e-bay, along with photos from MY archive with his name on them as well!!

Glad he's technically "out of the picture." He's made a lot of people mad over the years with his antics.

When he finally runs out of photos that the Queensboro library didn't get, hopefully that will be the last anyone hears of him on e-bay and anywhere else.

Sorry if I sound bitter . . . I am and with good reason. My issues go back to 1969!

Yes, that shot was taken by the Daily News during the coal strike.

Hence the quantity of locomotives laying up.

An OUTSTANDING aerial shot!!!!

Dave Keller

by Richard Glueck

There is a second photo in the series, but this one is in color. I have it on my machine, but it is available online as well. Maybe Art Huneke has a copy?
The picture is taken after passing over the roundhouse. Beautiful layout of steamers, electrics, and perhaps three Baldwin Diesels!