• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by matawanaberdeen

Yes I understand and asked about OPERATING budget. New lines add to the OPERATING budget. Also geniuses with the NJ budget being slashed do you think NJ will put up any money to even build a new line? Come on guys get serious. I want it built,I think its a great idea and south Jersey deserves train service but if you think this is getting built any time soon your in denial. I want whatever your smoking. The state nor the RR itself can afford this or want to afford this. Read the WHOLE post next time I said OPERATING budget.
  by sixty-six

matawanaberdeen wrote:Yes I understand and asked about OPERATING budget. New lines add to the OPERATING budget. Also geniuses with the NJ budget being slashed do you think NJ will put up any money to even build a new line? Come on guys get serious. I want it built,I think its a great idea and south Jersey deserves train service but if you think this is getting built any time soon your in denial. I want whatever your smoking. The state nor the RR itself can afford this or want to afford this. Read the WHOLE post next time I said OPERATING budget.
Did you say something about the operating budget?
  by radioboy

jimzim66 wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote:Yes I understand and asked about OPERATING budget. New lines add to the OPERATING budget. Also geniuses with the NJ budget being slashed do you think NJ will put up any money to even build a new line? Come on guys get serious. I want it built,I think its a great idea and south Jersey deserves train service but if you think this is getting built any time soon your in denial. I want whatever your smoking. The state nor the RR itself can afford this or want to afford this. Read the WHOLE post next time I said OPERATING budget.
Did you say something about the operating budget?
He asked about next year's operating budget in regard to a line that's probably 15 years from needing an operating budget, which is to say, it's irrelevant. Then he called everyone geniuses and used the wrong version of "your" to insult everyone.
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

GSC wrote:I don't believe $500K will make for much of a "study". They can't even agree on the shape of the table and what kind of bagels to have for half a million.

We can do it for them. Simply take a camera to Rt 37 and the Parkway in Toms River during rush hour. Take a few pics of traffic "in the lights" on Rt 9 between Lakewood and Freehold. Or other locations we all know and love. Print out the pics and give them to the "studiers".

When something is on fire and you want to put the fire out, you put the fire out. You don't "study" it.
What they should do is not worry about the MOM line, but do something about the Toms River Chemical Secondary. It runs parallel to Rt 37 from just past Mule Rd to Lakehurst. This would be excellent for the senior citizens to ride to get from village to village, or doctors office to the mini mall.....

It would just keep them off of 37! :P
  by wolfboy8171981

ScottTheNiceGuy wrote:
GSC wrote:I don't believe $500K will make for much of a "study". They can't even agree on the shape of the table and what kind of bagels to have for half a million.

We can do it for them. Simply take a camera to Rt 37 and the Parkway in Toms River during rush hour. Take a few pics of traffic "in the lights" on Rt 9 between Lakewood and Freehold. Or other locations we all know and love. Print out the pics and give them to the "studiers".

When something is on fire and you want to put the fire out, you put the fire out. You don't "study" it.
What they should do is not worry about the MOM line, but do something about the Toms River Chemical Secondary. It runs parallel to Rt 37 from just past Mule Rd to Lakehurst. This would be excellent for the senior citizens to ride to get from village to village, or doctors office to the mini mall.....

For the right price, anything is for sale.. The TRIT is owned by Conrail, not NJDOT.

Re:

by keyboardkat

hsr_fan wrote:After riding the Acela Express from Boston to New York on Sunday, I have to say, 150 mph feels like what rail travel should be like! Even 100 mph seems slow. It's a shame that NJ Transit and every other commuter agency in this country insists on being stuck in the 80 mph and under rut while the technology exists for much higher speeds. If this country were more like Japan, people living in places like Bay Head or Port Jervis would probably be looking at a reasonable 1 hour commute or less!
You have to remember not only grade crossings, but the fact that a commuter train, by definition, makes frequent stops, sometimes as little as a mile apart. You can't compare this to the French TGV or German ICE trains which are long-distance intercity trains which have time to accelerate to high speed and stay there. The Japanese built a brand new right of way for the Bullet trains, and nothing else uses those tracks. By contrast, we're operating on an old infrastructure with 19th-Century alignments (read frequent curves). And since the northeast megalopolis is virtually fully developed and built up, there isn't room to construct new, arrow-straight rail rights of way, even if the money to do so was there, which it isn't. Can you imagine the litigation by property owners whose property lies in the path of a proposed new high-speed line, trying to get more money? Or the ornery soul who refuses to sell and has to be evicted by force, with all the attendant publicity, TV cameras, etc.?

80 mph is, I feel , fine for commuter trains when the alternative is to crawl along at 10 mph in traffic jams on parallel roads.
  by radioboy

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
ScottTheNiceGuy wrote:

For the right price, anything is for sale.. The TRIT is owned by Conrail, not NJDOT.
Some sort of light-rail operation that ran from a MOM terminus at Lakehurst, connecting to all of the Holiday Cities, BJs, Walmart, and the Toms River Bus Terminal would be a great asset.
  by RailsEast

"Some sort of light-rail operation that ran from a MOM terminus at Lakehurst, connecting to all of the Holiday Cities, BJs, Walmart, and the Toms River Bus Terminal would be a great asset."

Hmmm, interesting, and good, idea.......not that NJ has the money for any of this today, but perhaps something our grandkids could take advantage of........
  by RailsEast

"The Toms River Chemical Secondary"?!?!
LOL!
(Be advised, Carteret & Pt.Reading officials warn there is only room for one 'Chemical Secondary' in NJ).......... :-)
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

NJtwoM wrote:"The Toms River Chemical Secondary"?!?!
LOL!
(Be advised, Carteret & Pt.Reading officials warn there is only room for one 'Chemical Secondary' in NJ).......... :-)
Well, the tracks went from Ciba-Geigy(a chemical plant) to Lakehurst. To me it is chemical! :P

I know it's owned by Conrail-it even says it on maps around here. I just think the track is sitting there rotting away and I get tired of the old people out in the western part of TR. So put up a trolley/light rail dealy and get them off of the road! lol
  by GSC

I've been saying for years that MOM terminating at Ciba-Geigy would make more sense than Lakehurst. Trackage and plenty of property for a park & ride. Don't know about serving the senior camps along the TRIT tho.

The light rail going into town would be a better idea for that. Now there's a long-term project! (And another pile of studies)
  by Matt Johnson

Would MOM be subject to the same regulatory approvals if they went with something like this? Seems it would be a cheaper, faster way to institute rail service!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwRFjICvYU
  by CJPat

Matt Johnson wrote:Would MOM be subject to the same regulatory approvals if they went with something like this? Seems it would be a cheaper, faster way to institute rail service!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwRFjICvYU
While thinking about all those seniors in the housing projects around Mule Rd. and watching the video, all I kept hearing in the back of my mind was that catchy jingle:
"I can go go go in my HoverRound,
Inside, Outside all over town...."
  by Roadgeek Adam

http://www.centraljersey.com/articles/2 ... 693028.txt

You know Transit Village shouldn't be a requirement...a la Montclair State University, Wayne Route 23, Ramsey Route 17, Mount Arlington.
  by keyboardkat

Back in August, Matt Johnson suggested getting a couple of old RDCs, put 'em on the tracks and just run them.

The trouble is, there aren't too many old RDCs around in operable condition. They'd all need rehabilitation. Plus, do they meet today's FRA standards? What about ADA standards? They don't have wheelchair lifts, etc.

Unless you want to make it a completely private operation, not subject to all the Federal rules and the whole bureaucracy