Railroad Forums 

• NJT MLV EMU Procurement

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1446889  by EuroStar

F-line, what you are saying rings true to me, but the document states the opposite. From page 10:
This approach also allows NJ TRANSIT to use Multilevel coaches that were previously purchased to expand service to instead serve as the second and third non-power unit in a new three car sub-consist
This makes me wonder whether the idea is to have the new unpowered MLV III be MU compatible and captive to the long 8+ MU consists on the NEC. The unpowered existing MLV I and MLV II could be used on three car consists -- one new powered and two existing unpowered -- there is no need to MU anything in a three car consist like that. Most of the trains on the Hoboken electric service uses three car Arrow sets now anyway. Maybe the idea is for the old trailers to never be in a MU train to begin with, just in short trains with up to three cars.
 #1447300  by Zuccaraillo

One can say that the V's are relatively young but they have had a history of software problems. The IVs are significantly more reliable so it seems the single level fleet may be retired alltogether.

Don't all NJT cars have MU cables that allow the cab car to transmit signals to the locomotives? If that's possible then the MLV EMUs should be backward compatible with the existing cars, maybe a few serving as boosters with ALP-46s.
 #1447318  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Trailers have pass-thru cables so the loco and the cab car can communicate on opposite ends when the train is in push mode, but the trailers themselves are completely inert in terms of train control. They simply have the electrical hookup for hotel power, the air brake line, and the data cables for PA/PSA, automatic door controls, etc. In an MU consist, all of the cars--including unpowered trailers--talk to each other 2-way in order to coordinate propulsion on any power car that may be positioned anywhere in the consist. The trailers also talk, because unlike a loco-hauled consist where they're an unknown inert mass (e.g. the loco or cab car doesn't care if there's a mixed set of new bi-levels and ancient flats...or how many of each there are) the trailer has to provide data about its properties in order for the MU trainlining to smooth out the ride. That's why unpowered trailers are nearly always manufactured to match their make/model of powered MU's, including and off-shelf coaches are never coupled to an MU (be it an M#, Arrow, Silverliner, ACMU/MP75, RDC, Colorado Railcar, etc.). At least with the RDC, you'd violate the Budd warranty if you ran an RDC coupled with an unpowered any-car because of the excessive wear it would cause.

So with this order there's still something undisclosed about how they plan to do this. The original plan was to do power cars with off-shelf MLV coaches using the same passive trailer connection (2 consecutive trailers for every 1 adjacent power car), but because that forces the power cars to overcorrect for the inert mass the power cars would've been overpowered, extremely complex at the computer level, and heavy. So NJT keeps saying this is not that plan, that this is some form of 'true' MU. If it's a true MU, then it has to have a true MU data connection where the unpowered trailers are capable of active 2-way communication unlike an off-shelf trailer. So the question is how they plan to do that. The most logical solution would be to run 2 types of trainlining connections through an otherwise vanilla MLV trailer: 1 for operating in 'active'-communication MU mode, 1 for operating in regular 'passive'-communication loco-lauled mode. And maybe for 'active' mode there's a small computer onboard just identifying the car's properties...and making sure that they DON'T plug something incompatible like a Comet into the MU set. If BBD's design is clean enough and tests out well enough, you should be able to mass-manufacture fully stock MLV III's with both sets and make them totally universal cars. And possibly re-wire the MLV I & II fleets for it, though that would be a little tougher correcting for evolutionary differences between the batches.

But there's still a lot of detail lacking on exactly how they plan to do this. Things like that contradictory language about wanting the powered MU cars to trainline with the existing MLV fleet and not the next batch. That doesn't answer the "how" question of how these are going to have a true MU connection, and starts to sound a little more like the original rejected "power packs" idea...only they're still saying this is an MU and not a power pack. So we need more information because those little discrepancies are still a head-scratcher.
 #1448951  by DutchRailnut

a rendering is not a real thing , kind of like photoshopping a picture..
 #1449006  by JamesRR

Yes, that's what I thought. But what's interesting is that they bothered to change the window configuration a little. It's not just a pantograph thrown onto a regular MLV.
 #1449061  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

From the artist's rendering from the earlier EMU topic pointed out by mtuandrew this reminded
me of the NSW,Australia Intercity V Set EMU operated by Sydney Trains. Note the variety of EMU
cars in their fleet - in particular the similar C,S and K Set fleet. These MU cars operate on 1500
Volts DC - the same voltage as Metra Electric and the South Shore Line in the Chicago area use.

http://www.sydneytrains.info/about/fleet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More then likely new multilevel MU cars would be either just like the previous multilevel cars or
perhaps similar to Sydney's V Set fleet...

MACTRAXX
 #1450631  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The official Request for Proposals has been quietly issued: http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... CalendarTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. "RFP 17-012" under FY2018.

Bid proposals are due back from prospective manufacturers on Feb. 15, and there is a pre-bid conference call scheduled on Nov. 30. NJT's website doesn't give links to the actual bid docs, but those usually get simulcast on other gov't bid websites so they should be findable online pretty soon if you want to delve into the nitty-gritty specs and see if they answer some of the open questions posed on the last couple pages of this thread about just how "off-shelf" the trainlining electronics are going to be with non-powered trailers and/or stock MLV coaches.
 #1477833  by njtmnrrbuff

I believe that Caltrain's electric mus will only be able to stop at low level platforms, given that Caltrain's stations are low level. Unless if NJT can build an MU like those of Caltrain's that can stop at high level platforms, this would not be the proper design for them.
 #1477838  by Matt Johnson

No, if you look closely you'll see that they have two sets of doors, one for low level and one for high level. However, NJ Transit seems big on custom designed equipment, so I guess it'll probably be some Bombardier MLV based contraption.
 #1477851  by njtmnrrbuff

You are correct. I noticed the doors. I'm sure that Transit will stick with a Bombardier Design. Look at what Metra did with it's new bilevels. It stuck with the Gallery car design.
 #1477857  by EuroStar

I do expect Bombardier to win the eventual contract given the requirements imposed by NJT. If the design requirements were more flexible, this would be a viable competitor. If I recall correctly NJT wants variable length consists: the Hoboken runs to Gladstone and MSU are 3-4 cars, while anything running to NYP is 8+. There are ways to square that with fixed consists: for example 4 fixed car sets, with 2 or 3 stringed together when longer sets are needed. However I believe that NJT has also requested compatibility with the existing MLVs and ability to tow some number of them, so that practically will make it very expensive for any manufacturer not named Bombardier. For the most part it seems that Bombarier's products have worked for NJT, so their desire to stick with them is not too surprising.
 #1477886  by andrewjw

Caltrain gallery cars would not fit under the Hudson, leading me to suspect that the new EMUs wouldn't either.