Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

"G"

by freightguy

Thank you guys for the explanations. I have seen the grade signals on the Lower Montauk, if anything they look more like the distant signal markers. I see why that funny "G" sign is for gas pipes and didn't make the rule book. The one's for the pipeline along the Bayridge have different makers. That company Buckeye Pipeline was actually owned by the Pennsylvania RR.

by SK2MY

I am guessing that you are an engineer. Excellent observations! The speed restriction signs, I was not aware of. Thanks for the input. I'll add a few as well............the WB End of Block sign is missing on the Westward Freight track leaving Harold and entering the Montauk Cutoff Secondary. The EB BASC sign is missing leaving the Johnson Ave. lead and entering Hall and the EB BASC sign is also missing on the Westbound Montauk (adjacent to the east end of the Receiving Yard).

by SK2MY

Funny you mentioned "Buckeye" pipeline. I heard through the grapevine that those pipelines which run under the area in question actually carries jet fuel to JFK!!
  by freightguy

That is exactly what they carry between JFK and Laguardia. My Aunt works for Northville and told me the same thing.

by jayrmli

Speaking of signs along the right of way, on the Main Line east of KO, at all of the passenger stations, is a red square which would look like a car marker sign, but there is no writing on it, and it is not in the exact position that the DM car markers are in. Anyone know what they're for?

Jay

by SK2MY

Believe it or not, an engineer placed those signs there. It is a marker to pull the engine off of the platform which will platform the first coach of the train.

by jayrmli

Don't the car markers installed already do that?

Jay
  by freightguy

I see the infamous Cannonball has earned its own car marker in Jamaica on track 8. What if it doesn't platform there does the engineer have to improvise? I think I saw it tonight on track 1 in the storage yard at Richmond Hill for its maiden voyage. I counted 11 coaches between the 2 engines.

by Long Island 7285

Deos the Cannonball have the logos on them like last year?

by SK2MY

Jay,
If I'm not mistaken, some car markers allow for the engine to be off the platform, some platform the engine as well. I think that the red markers that you are referring to may be placed to pull the first passenger coach off the platform. Let me check this out for sure, and I'll send an update soon.

by jayrmli

Thanks. I've been curious as to what they've been for. Your explanation does make sense though, as they're all about 1 car length east of the car marker.

Jay