Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraRI

To accommodate an 8 year bridge rehab project on UP-N, a new schedule will go into effect on August 21st. While I don't follow UP-N very closely, it seems Metra has brought back more express service which was put aside during an expressway reconstruction project a few years back. More info on the project can be found here:
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/util ... hline.html

'Proposed" schedule effective Aug 21st.
http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... hedule.pdf
  by Batman2

metraRI wrote:To accommodate an 8 year bridge rehab project on UP-N, a new schedule will go into effect on August 21st. While I don't follow UP-N very closely, it seems Metra has brought back more express service which was put aside during an expressway reconstruction project a few years back. More info on the project can be found here:
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/util ... hline.html

'Proposed" schedule effective Aug 21st.
http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... hedule.pdf
Let's not talk about this schedule. I make an executive decision to send the "proposed" schedule to its room to think about what it has done. Seriously, why would you need 30 minutes to turn around at Winnetka during rush hour when that same equipment current turns in 15 right now? It looks like in the afternoon at one point they need 44 minutes to turn 335 into 352 at Highland Park. In the middle of rush hour. So it can hold up other trains. To alleviate limits on track space imposed by construction projects. And why is it that Metra hasn't gotten it into their heads that people in Winnetka can pretty much drive or bike to Linden anyways? This emphasis on areas that are already CTA-connected is an undeniable case of the Metra/CTA rivalry ruining the commute for everyone.

This schedule clearly preferences two groups of people: those for whom Metra is competition with the Purple/Red/Brown Line, and high-revenue passengers from Waukegan and north of there. The "proposed" schedule gets rid of a lot of point-to-point options that students can use to get to school. Metra's going to lose $400 in revenue from about 200 high school students at New Trier every day thanks to this decision (over the course of the 8-month school year (about 160 days of normal classes) and that's gonna end up costing at least $65,000 in revenues per year just from lost revenues. Never mind the reputational damages that will come once people catch on that Metra is essentially making a strategy out of going for the most profitable passengers rather than those who most need the transit service they provide.
  by 7express

doepack wrote:Here, it's a $3 surcharge for any ticket bought from the conductor on the train if a ticket agent was on duty at the station, but it applies to ALL trains. Does MN only apply the surcharge to just peak trains?

Nope, its peak and off peak. Every station (except the stations on the Waterbury branch and Merritt 7 on the Danbury branch) have at least 1 TVM, and some stations have an agent though those are normally gone by 2:00 PM at the lastest. As long as the station has a TVM, its a surcharge whether the agent is there or not. If by some chance borh machines are broken, the conductor still charges you the on-board fare (with the surcharge) but you can send in a complaint to MNRR and you'll probably get the surcharge fare back.
  by metraRI

Something we don't see very often, Metra has already announced extra service for the Chicago Marathon on October 10th. Only BNSF, MD-N, UP-NW, & UP-W will see extra service... wonder how Metra determines the need for extra service on this day.

Chicago Marathon Extra Service
  by vxla

After overhearing some discussions with train crews at OTC today, I picked up a new schedule (effective 22 August 2010). As you know, changes are going into effect to deal with the single-track while the former C&NW bridges are replaced. Here are the changes as compared to the former schedule (published 19 May 2008). I've compiled these and shown difference in train arrival and departure times.

http://tinyurl.com/Metra-UPN-2010

Please note: there's some changes on the ends of the line which are listed in orange. Please check the "Key" tab for more information.

Thanks,

- Eric
  by MetraBNSF

Will be interesting to see how running extra trains on BNSF will pan out. Since the start of the Belmont Road underpass project I've seen some afternoon rush trains already subject to minor delays. Now, even a small delay to one or two trains can have a ripple effect.
  by doepack

On the MED side, I wonder why Metra would schedule the extras to leave 5 min. ahead of the regular trains, despite the fact that they're both making almost the same stopping patterns. For instance, recently, I've rode on train 125 (dep. Randolph=1430) to Kensington a couple of times over the last month or so, and from what I've observed, it isn't really that crowded; equipment is six cars, with one car closed leaving downtown. There's a modest crowd of kids getting on at 63rd St. coming from nearby Mt. Carmel high school, though it's not nearly enough to turn any cars of the train into SRO, there's still seats available. I suppose the conductor would open up the last car if it got too crowded, but at least on my observations, it remained closed after 63rd. I don't know if the ridership is really there to run the extras right up against the regular runs like that...

And an early quit this year on NCS? Is that new?
  by doepack

It's that time again...
  by c604.

While looking over some of the holiday schedules for this year I found a rather interesting typo.....well I'd normally say 100% that this is a typo but after the 185 on UP-W deal a few weeks ago now I'm going to say 99.9% that this is a typo ;-)

Why run just engines from the MILW district on the UP lines when you can run entire trains ;-)
-------------------------------------------
•Modified outbound trains departing from OTC
•5:05 Train Number 2235 - Will make all stops from Mont Clare to Elgin
•5:23 Train Number 2239 - Will make all stops from Bensenville to Big Timber
---------------------------------------------
  by ohioriverrailway

From the comfort of my PC in relatively warm and comfortable Western PA., I've been watching METRA, CTA and NICTD fight a losing battle with Mother Nature. You sure do have to give them points and gold stars for their efforts.

Were any of you Chicagoland folks able to capture any vid clips or stills of equipment running thru the blizzard?
  by MetraBNSF

Metra wrote:As of Wednesday evening, many major roads were still closed in Lake, McHenry and Kane counties. Metra is expecting those roads to be open by Thursday morning. If they are not open, however, lines that serve those areas could be impacted by the inability of our crews to reach their work locations, and passengers may not be able to reach our stations.

Due to extreme weather conditions that will continue Thursday, passengers should expect delays. Riders are advised to check Metra’s website for the latest information about their line and train.

Regular Weekday Schedule
Metra Electric (including the South Chicago and Blue Island branches)
Rock Island
SouthWest Service
Heritage Corridor
Milwaukee West
Milwaukee North
North Central Service

Modified Weekday Schedule

BNSF: Please click here to view the schedule.

UP West: The following trains will not operate: inbound trains Nos. 28 and 34 and outbound trains Nos. 17 and 19. Additional stops will be added to train Nos. 30 and 36 to accommodate passengers who normally ride those trains.

UP Northwest: The following train will not operate: No. 628. Train No. 630 will make additional stops to accommodate passengers who normally ride that train.

UP North: The following trains will not operate: inbound trains Nos. 310, 312, 316 and 324 and outbound trains Nos. 305, 307, 311 and 313. Other trains will make additional stops to accommodate passengers who normally ride those trains.
  by metraRI

Metra's New RI Schedule to accomidate 35th Street goes into effect on April 3rd... I have not had the chance to really take a look at the changes, but it seems express times have been improved. I do find it stupid on Metra's part to push back inbound train departures from Joliet, even by 1 minute. Often inbound trains are late arriving into Blue Island causing delays to outbound trains due to single tracking.

Something I would consider a major change is the change from local to express of the 3:25pm express out of Joliet.

After my many emails to Metra about the desperate need to fix the midlothian express running times, seems they did get the hint. 6/5 minutes have been cut from the schedule of these trains.

http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... 102011.pdf