Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraRI

Surprised no RI extra was added. The first train after the end of Venetian night filled 8 cars, could have used an express.
  by Rockingham Racer

metraRI wrote:Surprised no RI extra was added. The first train after the end of Venetian night filled 8 cars, could have used an express.
Perhaps extras are put on where "the real money" is. Southside's the orphan, apparently.
  by doepack

metraRI wrote:RI may not have had extra service for Venetian Night, but it will for Lollapalooza.. while MD will not. Curious how Metra determines where to add/not to add extra service.
The somewhat random pattern of where extra service has been added this summer for special events (excluding the Taste) leads me to believe that perhaps, Metra has reduced their budget for overtime. When looking at only the routes Metra directly operates, it could be that they're making certain the OT is spread out evenly, with only certain routes running extra trains for certain events; while other routes just run regular service with longer trains. And as always, extra service on BNSF is guaranteed, UP gets into the act if they feel like it (and they usually don't). Just a thought...
  by metraRI

Talk about sneaky, effective August 31st, a new SWS schedule went into effect without any word from Metra. Granted the only change is the addition of a flag stop for train #803 at 153rd Street, which previously did not stop at that station. Perfect opportunity for Metra to adjust schedule times... of course, they failed to do so.
  by F40c611fan

I didn't know that - the one on their website is still the March 31st effective. Speaking of which, Metra just launched a new, redesigned website yesterday.
  by tobuadantoq

metraRI wrote:Talk about sneaky, effective August 31st, a new SWS schedule went into effect without any word from Metra. Granted the only change is the addition of a flag stop for train #803 at 153rd Street, which previously did not stop at that station. Perfect opportunity for Metra to adjust schedule times... of course, they failed to do so.
I think SWS schedule is currently making under new format with revised schedule just like BNSF, MD.
  by F40c611fan

One thing a bit weird - when you click on Maps and Schedules, any rail line, and the Schedule tab, there are actually two links to a schedule - one below the gray map/schedule/next trains/attractions bar, and one above - the one above is the old format, the one below is the new. For the SWS, they only made the 8/31 effective in the new format - so the old format on above the bar is the old schedule. Also, the new schedules are missing one important thing - the system map! And they still haven't come out with an MED schedule in the new format (both links are to an old format schedule).
  by metraRI

Extra service to the Chicago Marathon will be provided on BNSF, UPNW, and UPW. The link is listed on the bottom right corner of the home page, those not looking for the schedules might not find them.

EDIT: Hmmm, looks like someone at Metra read my post and changed the position of the link to the top of the page.
  by doepack

Looks like the employee version of the 10/11 schedule for UP/W was posted, all times at control points are included. I can just imagine someone pulling that up and saying "Wha...? I've never heard of any of these stations!... :wink:"
  by F40c611fan

doepack wrote:Looks like the employee version of the 10/11 schedule for UP/W was posted, all times at control points are included. I can just imagine someone pulling that up and saying "Wha...? I've never heard of any of these stations!... :wink:"
Not just the UP/W - the UP/NW as well.
  by MetraBNSF

Thanksgiving week schedules have been posted, including extra service on 3 lines to/from the lights festival on 11/21/09. Looking at the BNSF schedule, some interesting changes:

On 11/25, trains 1283 and 1373 are cancelled and combined into train 9683, leaving CUS at 6:17pm. This same combined train will also run on 11/27.

On 11/27, BNSF didn't run an express ahead of train 1266. The express is back this year as train 9566. Also an early afternoon express out of CUS has been added at 1:28pm.

Also noticed on the UP-W and NW that control points are listed, indicated with a [by].
  by metraRI

By now most know there will not be a South Side Irish parade in the Beverly neighborhood this Sunday, so there will not be any extra RI service to the parade route. However, a parade will still happen downtown tomorrow. If memory is correct, usually BNSF operates extra service to this parade. However, I have not seen anything online. Has anything been reported on BNSF or at CUS?