• MEC station at Fryeburg, Maine

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Cowford

Yep, I'd say that's conclusive evidence! Thanks.

Spending $1+ million to place a trail beside an existing trail that's graded, brushed out, and whose conversion has salvage value. Nuts.
  by DaveA

I went by the other day and I'd have to say that if it's a bike/walking trail (which it looks to be) and as close as it is to the existing track, I wouldn't look to see any trains in the future. One use or the other but in today's litigenous society there's too much chance for disaster unless a fence or some sort of barrier is also constructed between the two.
Dave
  by ericofmaine

DaveA wrote:I went by the other day and I'd have to say that if it's a bike/walking trail (which it looks to be) and as close as it is to the existing track, I wouldn't look to see any trains in the future. One use or the other but in today's litigenous society there's too much chance for disaster unless a fence or some sort of barrier is also constructed between the two.
Dave
Dave,

While I haven't seen any plans and haven't looked at any quantity or bid tab sheets, it is safe to say that if there is fencing, it is one of the last things to go in on a project.

Eric
  by DaveA

I was by there yesterday and it looks like the processed stone base is set for paving. A small crew was at work where the trail accesses Porter St..

Does anyone know what company or business occupied the now closed mill complex on the south side of Porter St. Looks like lumber may have been a part of the process but it sure is a large area enclosed by the fencing.

DaveA
  by S1f3432

Mill complex in Fryeburg was part of Saunders Brothers woodworking operations, also
had a large operation in Westbrook railroad east of the station site. Don't recall that they
were ever a railroad customer.
  by DaveA

Looks like the bike/walking trail is completed from the Welcome center on 302 to Porter St., with the exception of landscaping and fence sections. The Conway Daily paper had a photo of the paving operation and an article about the project. The pavement edge is supposedly 15' from the nearest rail and in a few places it narrows to a 10' gap. At these spots fencing will be erected. According to the article, the next section will continue from Porter St. to the Rte. 113/5 at the fryeburg Airport.

DaveA
  by DaveA

Here's a photo of the paving operaqtion, scanned from the Conway Daily Sun. Quality's not that good but you can see the adjacent rails. I may be a pessimist but, now that it's in place, I think all the niceties from the bicycle/jogger,walker groups regarding a multi-use "rail/trail" will end and they'll be a rash of anecdotal tales of how dangerous it would be for trains to operate in such close proximity to foot traffic. I would hope NOT, but it won't surprise me. ---- DaveA

http://usera.ImageCave.com/DaveA/PDI_0001.jpg

Hope this fixes it??
Last edited by DaveA on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MEC407

Part of the link seems to be missing... can you try posting it again?