• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MEC407

Bramdeisroberts wrote:...the PL42AC derivatives that we were originally going to get?
Those were never built, so we'll never know how lemony they might've been.
  by Bramdeisroberts

MEC407 wrote:
Bramdeisroberts wrote:...the PL42AC derivatives that we were originally going to get?
Those were never built, so we'll never know how lemony they might've been.
I know, I know. That's why it was a rhetorical question.

That said, weren't the PL42AC's also maintenance nightmares early on?
  by MEC407

Ask a rhetorical question, get a rhetorical answer. :wink:
Bramdeisroberts wrote:That said, weren't the PL42AC's also maintenance nightmares early on?
Yes, and they're still not very well liked by those who run them. Apparently they ride horribly and accelerate slowly. The HSPs seem substantially better in both of those areas.
  by Bramdeisroberts

MEC407 wrote:Yes, and they're still not very well liked by those who run them. Apparently they ride horribly and accelerate slowly. The HSPs seem substantially better in both of those areas.
I was going to say, I remember the PL42AC's getting a lot of flak early on, and it sounds like they were basically DE30AC 2.0's.

Looking at it that way, while the current situation is far from great, am I the only one who feels like the T still might have dodged a bullet by getting forced into the MPI bid?

It kind of feels to me as if the T ended up with a fleet of homely but fundamentally good locomotives that happen to be having more than their fair share of teething problems right now.

Compared to what might have been, where the T's desire for customization could well have ended us up with locomotives that were even more touchy and than the PL42AC's were, while still having all of their operational shortcomings, it almost feels as if, gremlins aside, the T STILL dodged a bullet by going with MPI.
  by GP40MC1118

You got to wonder if the T would've been better off taking advantage of the original
multi-agency order with MPI for MP36's.

D
  by Bramdeisroberts

Wasn't the issue though that even a 3600hp locomotive was on the weak side of what the T needed?

I always thought that was why they didn't just spring for MP40's and went instead for a custom one-off design, because they wanted more than a 4000hp loco.
  by sery2831

The MP36s are fine for the T. I thought the reason for not getting the 40s was weight.
  by DutchRailnut

HSP46 is about same weight as Genesis around 285 000 lbs

according the MPI specification a MP36 can weigh more than MP40.
https://www.wabtec.com/uploads/MPXpress_QuickSpec_A.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MPXpresses are notorious porkers. The heaviest-configuration MP36PH-3C hits 295,000 lbs. They had to start cutting fuel tank capacity to do the MP40PH and refresh the product line for Tier 3. The MP54AC uses gensets to pack Tier 4/5400 HP in a stock MP36/40 frame. MPI has hit a pretty hard ceiling on what it can do to advance the MPX platform inside that packaging. They've been very deft about squeezing another 5+ years of performance enhancements out of the MPX lineup by using those gains in fuel efficiency to trade off tank capacity for performance enhancements and keep themselves in perfect balance. And very deft at exploring those MP32 "hermit crab" guttings of old Geep carbodies to package up the same locomotives for more weight-conscious customers.

But now it's come to the point where gensets are the only way to take the stock MPX platform to a new level. The MP54AC's sound cool as hell and could be a very worthy performance competitor to the F125 or commuter rail-rated version of the Siemens Charger. But they're gensets, and the number of operators willing to buy/maintain gensets isn't that large as a share of the domestic passenger market. A starter commuter service making a clean buy of nuthin' but MP54AC's can certainly make a go of it, as can a huge and massive-scale operator like GO Transit afford to dabble in it. But the 'middle 75%' is going to see huge hurdles in making a buy of partial genset fleet while still being wedded for many years more to their majority-share single-engine fleets. It's a major cost of ownership inhibitor.

So MPI's in a very tough spot if there's no more rabbit tricks to pull with the MPX's. That's why they needed to put out a completely fresh platform free from the MPX's constraints. Not that the HSP-46 is svelte by any means, but the time-tested GE platform is more predictable for projecting weight gain in different configurations and offers more room for growth in the arms race vs. the F125's and Chargers before absolute weight becomes a limiting factor. For MPI's long-term future they had to do it. Of course...what happens to that long-term future if no one shows interest in any follow-on orders is anyone's guess. The MPX is still a porker that's almost completely tapped out of wiggle room for performance growth within its single-engine configurations.
  by Bramdeisroberts

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:So MPI's in a very tough spot if there's no more rabbit tricks to pull with the MPX's. That's why they needed to put out a completely fresh platform free from the MPX's constraints. Not that the HSP-46 is svelte by any means, but the time-tested GE platform is more predictable for projecting weight gain in different configurations and offers more room for growth in the arms race vs. the F125's and Chargers before absolute weight becomes a limiting factor. For MPI's long-term future they had to do it. Of course...what happens to that long-term future if no one shows interest in any follow-on orders is anyone's guess. The MPX is still a porker that's almost completely tapped out of wiggle room for performance growth within its single-engine configurations.
So here's a question for you F-line: What do you think of the HSP platform's future?

I almost feel at this point as if MPI, despite the bath they took on them, has to feel a little optimistic about the HSP platform in the long run.

Just look at where the market is today. Tier 4 has taken the non-"rebuild" MPX's off of the market, and the only thing that's left is a frankensteined green goat on some Bane-level steroids. Like you said, GO transit or a well-funded startup might just be crazy and cash-filled to jump on the MP54AC bandwagon, but the other 80+% of carriers won't go near them.

At the same time, look at the other options for Tier 4 passenger locos. You've got not one, but TWO high-performance (and high-maintenance) European passenger diesel locos that have been put on major growth hormones to meet US loading gauges and power requirements, the Charger and the F125. In addition to their expensive carbodies, finicky computer systems, and maintenance-intensive European traction systems and suspensions designed for 125mph service that literally NONE of them will see on commuter railroads, they also come with a pair of lightweight high-speed prime movers that are completely untested in American passenger service, built by manufacturers that have absolutely no experience building American locomotive diesels!

I feel like all you need to do is look at the MK5000c's history or the teething problems that the ACS-64's have had to see the lemon-potential that both of the non-MPI Tier 4 passenger locos have, and I'll eat my hat if even ONE of them sees a rollout that isn't plagued by major teething problems and reliability issues. Maybe Amtrak can afford that headache, but I have a hard time seeing any of the more conservative commuter operators taking a bite.

Which takes me to where the commuter market is today. Ridership numbers seem to be stable if not on the rise for most American commuter railroads, and yet a sizeable chunk of passenger service nationwide is still hauled by rapidly-aging F40's and F59's. I'd imagine that in the next 5 years or so, a whole lot of passenger railroads will have to make the difficult decision of whether to rebuild their F40's and F59's to one of the Tier-X specs, or bite the bullet and replace them outright, and I'm guessing that most of them will choose the latter, due to the headaches of bringing 20-30 year old, relatively underpowered locos up to modern emissions specs.

Now this is why I think MPI might actually be in a pretty good spot, because I also have a hard time seeing most of these cost-conscious and technologically conservative operators springing for a pair of bloated Class 43 wannabes, especially if the Charger and/or the F125 have any sort of teething issues. Meanwhile, what MPI now has is a passenger-grade locomotive platform that can hit 110mph, and is powered by a tried-and-true medium speed prime mover with a proven history as a Tier-3/4 freight engine. I'd also imagine that if EMD's reanimated H-engine proves to be a solid powerplant, that it'd also be fairly straightforward to re-engine an HSPxx as a 12-1010 engined "HSP44ACe-T4" if a railroad specified it.

As to the HSP46's teething problems, remember how the MPX's started out. The MP36ph-3S was an absolute lemon, with some much more significant issues early on than the HSP46's are having and at the time, it was also seen as potentially being the loco that would put MPI out of business. In retrospect, the MP36ph-3S's major teething problems and the ensuing headaches that they caused Metra seem to have allowed MPI to iron out the kinks on the MPX platform early on. By all accounts, the resulting -3C's and MP40's were very reliable, and sold like hotcakes to commuter agencies who were scared of the Gennies, to the point that they became the best-selling American commuter locomotives since the F40ph.

Is it that out there of me to suspect that we might see history repeat itself, where Amtrak and one or two adventurous commuter railroads choose the Charger/F125, while a Tier-4 HSP variant goes on to be the the definitive F40/GP40/F59 replacement for the other two dozen American commuter railroads?
  by MBTA3247

Regarding the weight issues that MPI has faced with its recent locomotive models... wouldn't switching to A1A trucks resolve that problem? Or would the longer wheelbase of the trucks result in more problems for the commuter railroads than it solves?
  by DutchRailnut

putting A1A trucks would add problems and cost, not many railroads want extra maintenance of two more axles and brake gear.
as for problems it would limit space under engine for example fuel tank size, it would create problems for blended brake as basically a second brake system for idlers needs to be installed.
  by ACeInTheHole

Fan Railer wrote:On the MP36, if anyone for some reason hasn't seen this yet: http://web.archive.org/web/201403130011 ... g/MP36.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (MBTA MP36 operating manual).

I wish there was one out for the HSP46 that we could see lol.
Ahem. I guess I will count myself as part of that "for some reason" crowd.. Whatcha tryin to say? :p