• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 8th Notch

I saw it this morning make a few moves between layover 4 and 5 with a string of coaches attached...

Edit: I got confirmation that it was used to flip flop a few coaches around in the layover.
  by NH2060

8th Notch wrote:I saw it this morning make a few moves between layover 4 and 5 with a string of coaches attached...

Edit: I got confirmation that it was used to flip flop a few coaches around in the layover.
I thought it was said that "Tender engines [or in this case main line engines] don't shunt!" ;-)
  by ACeInTheHole

NH2060 wrote:
8th Notch wrote:I saw it this morning make a few moves between layover 4 and 5 with a string of coaches attached...

I thought it was said that "Tender engines [or in this case main line engines] don't shunt!" ;-)
In NJT country I saw an ALP45 being used to shift around a PL42 in the yard at Hoboken. While not MBTA related.. I guess it signifies its not unusual to see a main line engine get switching chores from time to time. Anyways back to MBTA.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

how bout you post that in NJT land as it has no bearing on what is discussed here..
  by 8th Notch

NH2060 wrote:

Anything goes in make believe commuter rail land ;). On a serious note, the 2001 was only used to swap around a few cars in the layover for the static test train that it will be testing with (still in the layover yard) not a full time yard switcher. I should have worded my original post better.
  by Backshophoss

With MBCR on the way out,is it their plan to do as little as possible on testing and accepting the HSP-46 and the Rotem cars?
2001 should be out running test trains by now,not sitting on ground power at BET,or yard switching cars to the Rotem test track.
  by sery2831

2001 is only a demo/training unit. It's being used for static testing with the fleet at the moment by MPI staff. At some point this unit might do a clearance test of the system. But do not look for it be used outside of BET. It will be returned the factory at some point, but more than likely after spending time in Worcester at the P&W again.
  by DutchRailnut

And unless the other unit is finished testing, and getting type approval at Pueblo the 2001 can not go out on main by itself, not even on test train.
What if brakes have issues or design faults
What if AC propulsion were to interfere with signal system, etc etc etc.
  by ns3010

It was on the west end of the layover yard hooked up to a Brokem and some Bombs as of 7:45 this morning.
  by drvmusic

sery2831 wrote:2001 is only a demo/training unit. It's being used for static testing with the fleet at the moment by MPI staff. At some point this unit might do a clearance test of the system. But do not look for it be used outside of BET. It will be returned the factory at some point, but more than likely after spending time in Worcester at the P&W again.
What makes it a demo unit? Not all features included? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
  by Fan Railer

drvmusic wrote:
sery2831 wrote:2001 is only a demo/training unit. It's being used for static testing with the fleet at the moment by MPI staff. At some point this unit might do a clearance test of the system. But do not look for it be used outside of BET. It will be returned the factory at some point, but more than likely after spending time in Worcester at the P&W again.
What makes it a demo unit? Not all features included? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
Replace "demo" with "prototype."
  by drvmusic

Fan Railer wrote:
drvmusic wrote:
Replace "demo" with "prototype."
Does that mean it's just on loan to learn how to use it until the actual units arrive? What is the difference?
  by sery2831

The main difference the production units will have all the modifications done right from the factory as opposed to in the field during testing. Remember there are two other units going through tests currently as well.