• MBTA commuter rail consists

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSRR573

Hi I was wondering why the coach directly behind the engine is different from all the other coaches in the consist?

Also Why does the mbta use control cars in the middle of some consists?
  by kwf

CSRR573 wrote:Hi I was wondering why the coach directly behind the engine is different from all the other coaches in the consist?

Also Why does the mbta use control cars in the middle of some consists?
The coach behind the engine is the only car with a restroom...

by CSX Conductor

In many cases the coach behind the locomotive was a 500 or 1500 series for it's bathroom. Also the original double-deckers couldn't be directly behind a locomotive due to ventalation issues, which have been remedied. There are also many new double deckers (900 series) which are in revenue service now and can be seen directly behind the locomotive. It is now possible to have a solid double decker consist but I haven't seen one yet because they keep putting a 1500 on the lead.

As for control cars in the middle, many have had there controls removed and others are just thrown in because they are not needed as control cars but are still needed as extra cars.

by Robert Paniagua

It is now possible to have a solid double decker consist but I haven't seen one yet because they keep putting a 1500 on the lead.

Well, CSXT Conductor, I got some HOT good news flash for you. When I rode a Red Line UTDC 01700 consist out of Quincy Adams into town and back two weeks ago, I saw a GP40MC and finally a SOLID ALL-K Double decker consist. All doubledeckers, no singles, now that we have the toilet equipped 900s in the active lineup.

This was of course on the Old Colony line, citing where I saw these from.