• Manayunk Bridge

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by nittany4

a somewhat disturbing article (at least for a train buff) in today's Philadelphia Inquirer talks about turning the Manayunk Bridge into a trail.

Didn't the federal govt just give SEPTA millions to rehab this historic RAILROAD structure for "eventual" use for the Schuylkill Valley Metro?

while I realise that the "rails to trails" inititatives bring about positive uses for former rights of way, I think turning this bridge into a trail is a mistake in an urban region that is crippled by lack of efficient transit.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news ... 177314.htm

It's amazing that urban areas like Minneapolis, St. Louis, San Diego, Houston, etc. can plan and actually BUILD effective rail lines from scratch and we can't seem to keep the ones that the Reading and PRR left us.

very sad...

:(

by jfrey40535

I can't see them turning that into a trail, mainly because its a safety issue. All we need is a loon-case to jump onto I-76 or something like that. They'd have to put some pretty grotesque fences up to keep jumpers at bay.

I think alot of people would have something to say about converting a bridge into a trail when $8.2 million was poured into fixing it with transit dollars. Too bad no one is calling for the train's return---at least to Ivy Ridge.

by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:Too bad no one is calling for the train's return---at least to Ivy Ridge.
To what end? The R6 already serves Ivy Ridge, and this was a parallel competing route from the Pennsy days. Extending the line one stop to the cemetary at Barmouth makes no sense either.

If you want to do something useful with it, make it a light rail line serving the Manayunk area with a quick way to get into town and back.

by whovian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that bridge be used in the route for the Schuykill Valley Metro, should it ever come about. I thought that was going to be the ROW used to bypass the present former Reading line aka the R-6 Norristown. It appears that way on the proposed rail map, operating through SEPTA's Cynwyd line (aka Ivy Ridge branch as it is STILL known) and making a stop a 52 st., following the bridge through the high level platform at Manayunk West and proceeding North to the connection with the NS line at Kalb (Norrtistown TC).

by nittany4

whovian wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that bridge be used in the route for the Schuykill Valley Metro, should it ever come about. I thought that was going to be the ROW used to bypass the present former Reading line aka the R-6 Norristown. It appears that way on the proposed rail map, operating through SEPTA's Cynwyd line (aka Ivy Ridge branch as it is STILL known) and making a stop a 52 st., following the bridge through the high level platform at Manayunk West and proceeding North to the connection with the NS line at Kalb (Norrtistown TC).
it IS supposed to be put back in service for the SVM, (it's in my first post) but based on the current climate, i don't see me ever being able to ride the SVM, and i'm only 37

by PARailWiz

I too got a sinking feeling when I read that article. But as for using the Manayunk bridge for train service, I think you could make an excellent case for just taking it back out to Ivy Ridge, closing the R6 Norristown Ivy Ridge station, make R6Norristown's Manayunk a flag stop, and take the rebuilt R6 Ivy Ridge schedule to half-hourly service. You'll give northwest Philadelphia more frequent service in a popular and growing area that lacks parking and at the same time speed up R6 Norristown service. Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive, as the ROW is still apparently fully intact as well as the catenary poles. Just string new wire and lay new tracks. There is nothing about that arrangement that would preclude its use for the SVM.

by jfrey40535

You'll give northwest Philadelphia more frequent service in a popular and growing area that lacks parking and at the same time speed up R6 Norristown service
Excellent points. I also find it insulting that the current Ivy Ridge Station involves negotiating alot of steep stairs. The PRR station is high level, and could be made to accomodate wheelchairs, where that is impossible with the Reading station.

For all of you who point out that stations are spaced too closely together, Ivy Ridge is one of them. Since the RDG line also carries much more people West of Ivy Ridge, it would make sense to eliminate that stop. It wouldn't be crazy to keep both open either, as it would be a nice way to provide much more frequent service, and considering the overcrowding on some R6 trains already, more service would not hurt at all. SEPTA could even go as far as converting some of that unused ROW into more parking!

SVM isn't getting built anytime soon, its time to stop waiting for some golden egg to land in our laps for us to make use of what we have here in Philly. Of course if there is any extention of the PRR branch, a reopened 52nd Street station should be part of the package. Would be much faster than taking the Rt 10 downtown.

by whovian

Unfortunately, without the benefits of going all the way to Reading, I don't think you'll ever see service resume East of Cynwyd station on the Ivy Ridge Line. It would be nice, especially for rail fans, but someone has to pay for it. It's a tough sell to convince SEPTA, Philly, and Montgomery County, the Commonwealth, or the feds to foot the bill for another rail line that parallels an already existing one just for the sake of a high level platform stop. Incidentally, there are only two highlevel platforms along the R-6 Norristown, Elm st. and Spring Mill, for disabled persons to board or discharge from a train. There are none at all for Chestnut Hill East.

And making Manayunk station a flag stop makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Manayunk is one of the busiest stops on the branch. I don't think one can make an 'excellent case' , within this aforementioned paradigm, for service to be extended to Ivy Ridge West, particularly considering the fact that the Cynwyd service is barely operating with half-full single EMU's. The amount of passengers on Norristown locals, at least at the present time, doesn't justify half hour service. Why would anyone believe that SEPTA would establish half hour service to a parallel branch that only operates to Cynwyd during rush hour with one or two exceptions.

Rush hour Norristown locals are typically crowded, but that is because SEPTA only operates 4 car consists in a typical peak hour R-6. Then again, most of SEPTA's rush hour trains are jam packed for the same reason. Ever ride an inbound R-2 from Newark or Wilmington, or how about the Media/Elwyn line along the West Chester Branch. Those trains are mobbed.

The SVM is the only way you'll see Ivy Ridge West service. Don't hold your breath.

by PARailWiz

The idea is to give people in Manayunk more and more frequent travel options. By just adding those two stops, you'd increase the Cynwyd ridership considerably, and the added ridership would probably attract more riders at Cynwyd, Bala, and Wynnefield Ave. It gets even better if SEPTA could summon the courage to curtail the bus lines made redundant by the new frequent service. It is my opinion that you have a chicken and an egg problem here. If you make the service fast and frequent, more people will take the service. People don't eschew public transit because of ideology but because of convenience. I work with a couple of people who live in Manayunk who drive to work in CC because of that.

Plus, because the line is still so relatively intact and short, it'd be relatively inexpensive to do. You could even make it stage 1 of the SVM if you need more political support.

by whovian

Sir, I believe you live in a small village called Utopia. If your argument were feasible, why don't we have service to rail Newtown, Quakertown, or West Chester. SEPTA does everything possible NOT to restore service in those areas which would without a doubt have the ridership to justify their restoration. What makes you think that SEPTA, Philadelphia, Montco., Pennsylvania, and the feds will put forth any money to restore service along a PARALLEL route with an already existing service. Have you lived in the Philadelphia area all of your life? These things simply don't happen here. Reestablishing service to Ivy Ridge West would provide additional rail service, but who is going to pay for it? Once again, the only way you'll see that ROW restored is in conjunction with the SVM. It is that simple.

It is not a question of SEPTA having the 'courage' to embark on such an undertaking, but more a case of them not having the reason to do so. You need hard numbers to justify it, along with the capital. I hate to sound unsympathetic, but the argument for Ivy Ridge West service within the above posts is not a strong one.

by jfrey40535

Good points whovian. Its just unfortunate that it would take that much effort to restore something we had--fully electrified, and short distance. With all of the other needs in this area, Ivy Ridge West is not a priority. Would be nice, but its way down this list of things that will never get done, you know, the same list that Newtown, Blvd Subway, etc. is on.

by nittany4

the mark harmon movie "stealing home" shows a septa train crossing the manayunk bridge

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096171

unfortunately that's the only time i've ever seen such an image

it can be found in DVD bargain bins for $5.99 and is a GREAT philly movie (unfortunately it's only in full screen)

also features other shots of regional rail... in flashbacks as PRR!

cheers

by PARailWiz

Sir, I believe you live in a small village called Utopia. If your argument were feasible, why don't we have service to rail Newtown, Quakertown, or West Chester. SEPTA does everything possible NOT to restore service in those areas which would without a doubt have the ridership to justify their restoration. What makes you think that SEPTA, Philadelphia, Montco., Pennsylvania, and the feds will put forth any money to restore service along a PARALLEL route with an already existing service. Have you lived in the Philadelphia area all of your life? These things simply don't happen here. Reestablishing service to Ivy Ridge West would provide additional rail service, but who is going to pay for it? Once again, the only way you'll see that ROW restored is in conjunction with the SVM. It is that simple.
For the record, I have lived in the area all my life, and so have my parents, for that matter. I know nothing progressive ever happens here, and duly apologize for my optimism. That said, that doesn't mean it's a bad idea, just an unrealistic one. For now. Who knows that will happen in the future as far as gas and its price and availability?

by whovian

No apology for your view is necessary. I meant no disrespect with my post. I can actually appreciate your optimism. I was merely expressing my view that nothing progressive ever gets done in Pennsylvania, particularly concerning SEPTA. I don't think the idea was 'bad', I thought the argument for the idea would be viewed as weak in the eyes of the powers that be, namely those who ultimately make the decision to resume the service.

I'd like to see the SEPTA RRD operate its full potential. It certainly doesn't now. I am a proponent of ANY service expansion, but that is a personal viewpoint, one that our local decision makers obviously don't share.

Once again, PARailwiz, no disrespect was intended. I apologize if you took offense.

by Lucius Kwok

It's use it or lose it for rail on that bridge. It's been 19 years since a train ran on it.

The SVM study included both commuter rail and light rail over this bridge. An excerpt:

(1) A main commuter rail line from Wyomissing to Philadelphia via East Falls and the Center City Commuter Rail tunnel; (2) A light rail line from Ivy Ridge to Philadelphia via Cynwyd, Girard Avenue, the City Branch, and downtown streets; and (3) An extension of the Route 100 Norristown High Speed Line from Hughes Park to Port Kennedy via King of Prussia. The commuter rail line will share existing freight tracks and limited new tracks with Norfolk Southern between Wyomissing and Norristown. Between Norristown and Philadelphia it will use existing SEPTA tracks. Between Ivy Ridge and 52nd Street the light rail line will use existing SEPTA track and right-of-way. Between 52nd Street and Philadelphia it will use a combination of Norfolk Southern, Amtrak, CSX, and SEPTA right-of-way and downtown streets. The Route 100 extension will use all new tracks on a combination of Norfolk Southern right-of-way and new right-of-way.