• Manayunk Bridge

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by MACTRAXX

Guys: I recall an interesting presentation I attended about SEPTA's bridges put on by one of SEPTA's bridge engineers at the W Jersey NRHS Chapter in the mid 90s. The presenter specifically mentioned the Manayunk Viaduct. It was built of concrete from riversilt and other sources and obviously was designed before reinforced concrete was improved over time. What was mentioned was that it would cost virtually the same amount of money to demolish it VS.to restore it. Will it ever be used again for RR use? It is a sort of icon of the Schuykill Valley/Manayunk area. MACTRAXX

by nittany4

Will it ever be used again for RR use?
seems a shame if it isn't, given it's proximity to an active line that it could be incorporated into.

http://www.svmetro.com/svm/history/img/ ... top-1l.jpg

then again, also a shame
route 23
route 56
trolley bus wires with diesel buses underneath them
unused city subway
junctions to a boulevard subway that will never be built
abandoned service to west chester
abandoned service to newtown
abandoned service to bethlehem
abandoned service to reading (that will cost BILLIONS to restore)
trenton cutoff/cross county

sad sad sad

pick up a copy of the mark harmon movie "stealing home" (i got it at target for $4.99)

it's a movie with great philly shots (including a train on the manayunk bridge, and some regional rail scenes in pennsy livery),
plus a young hot jodie foster :-D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096171

by Wdobner

nittany4 wrote:
Will it ever be used again for RR use?
seems a shame if it isn't, given it's proximity to an active line that it could be incorporated into.

http://www.svmetro.com/svm/history/img/ ... top-1l.jpg
At this point it all depends on how the next few years go for SEPTA and their management. Who knows, maybe if we get dedicated funding SEPTA will look more kindly upon service expansions and we'll actually see them try to get federal money for the projects we've all been chomping at the bit for.
then again, also a shame

trolley bus wires with diesel buses underneath them
On the 59, 66, and 75 that should be history by some time in 2007. Hopefully we'll get some E40LFs like Vancouver got and all will be well with the ETB system for the next 20 to 30 years. It'd be nice if the 29 and 79 would return, and it'd be excellent if SEPTA would come to their senses and expand the ETB system to encompass more low headway routes, such as (IMHO) the 17, but I'm by no means holding my breath.
unused city subway
Unused by who? CSX certainly gets use out of the City Subway from 27th St to just north of the Art Musuem. One could even argue that GlaxoSmithKline(?), the Board of Education, Philly PD, and the Whole Foods grocery store at 21nd and Pennsylvania are 'using' the City Subway, even if it's in a manner most on this board would find detestible. Yeah, it'd be nice to have an LRV down there, such a line could be a tremendous asset to both the Musuem row and perhaps even the beleagured neighborhood of East Falls, but I'd definitely not rank it a top priority.
junctions to a boulevard subway that will never be built
What junctions are these? The tail tracks north of Erie? As I understand it it is highly debatable whether these tunnels were intended as turnarounds or extensions for future trackways. For one thing it's interesting that the 'extension' is above the active trunk line. Back in the days of cut and cover this may have been simpler to get a Roosevelt Blvd Subway out of the trunk, but today it makes them of only limited utility. Admittedly today the NETIS plan sounds like it was going to take the trunk line and reroute it through the tail tracks allowing the RBS tracks to take the current trunk and duck over to the Blvd. I would think if back in the 1920s or 30s the tail tracks at Erie were truely meant for extension to the Blvd they would have been built to the point where they curve east to the Blvd rather than running straight and terminating.
abandoned service to west chester
The replacement of that service is, like all rail service in this area, just a matter of political will and money. Really we just need to counter the bullshit line that some folks (including SEPTA) seem to think the R5 Exton park and ride is "close enough" to West Chester to adaquately substitute for the curtailed R3 West Chester service. It's clear from the ridership on the Rt104 bus that this is not the case and that a park and ride 5 miles up the road is no substitute for direct rail service to the town center, especially a college town such as West Chester. It'd probably be a rather reasonable service return once the fat SEPTA would undoubtedly try to get away with was trimmed off. Even with the bridge at Wawa I have to wonder if we'd even break 350 million dollars.

[/quote]abandoned service to newtown[/quote]

Same story, money and politics. Bribe, trick, or sue the rich folks in Bryn Athryn into keeping quiet about bringing the line back and you're probably pretty close to done. At that point all you need to do is clear brush, dig up the old tracks and ballast, re-lay the subroadbed, lay the tracks, put up new signals, string some catenary and you're done. I wonder if the whole project would even cost 250 million dollars not including rolling stock costs.
trenton cutoff/cross county
There was once a quite lively discussion of the merits and problems with this proposed route. With the seeming loss of interest in the route on SEPTA's part the discussion here similarly died off. I still feel it's potentially a good idea, since NYC, King of Prussia and the Rt30 corridor are all important employment centers in this area with many commuters coming from Bucks, Montgomery, and Chester counties. A Cross County Metro would potentially provide an alternative to an increasingly crowded PA Turnpike. Of course, as with the City Subway branch LRT it's something that'd be nice to have, but I'd rather see rail service to Pottstown, West Chester, Newtown, or the Blvd Subway first.
abandoned service to bethlehem
abandoned service to reading (that will cost BILLIONS to restore)
First off don't believe SEPTA's bullshit. The Schuylkill Valley Metro plan was flawwed from the very beginning when DVRPC laid it out in 1994 as Light Rail from Philadelphia to Oaks. The 2.2 billion dollar figure for the Schuylkill Valley Metro includes the rather considerable sum of money to move a majority of Norfolk Southern traffic off the Reading line and place it on a refurbished, currently abandoned parallel routing. I've never seen a specific figure for that portion of the project, but I recently talked to an engineer who worked on the EIS and he said it was nearly half of the cost. SEPTA's plans to run EMUs on a 30 minute headway to Reading always was an insane plan not justified by their (highly optimistic) ridership predictions. That's not to say that we don't need service to Reading, but doing so for 2.2 billion dollars and shelling out money to maintain the same headway all day which some existing regional rail lines only see at peak hours is ridiculous. Unfortunately because of SEPTA's flawwed planning we're likely not going to get an electric system to Reading, let alone Pottstown.

Because we're stuck with diesel operation the Manayunk Schuylkill River bridge becomes even more important. By connecting the Ivy Ridge branch to the Norristown line we can get diesel trains from Reading to 30th St Lower Level. The direct extension of that then leads to the use of the Stony Creek Branch to get trains bound for Bethlehem Quakertown to the same terminal. With this arrangement electrification can be extended incrementally as traffic warrants and we don't need any complicated dual mode arrangements to get passengers into Center City.

by R3toNEC

How about extended service to Quakertown via RS at Lansdale. Also, what is the city subway...is this the line near the Art Museum?

by Wdobner

capuzfu wrote:How about extended service to Quakertown via RS at Lansdale.
Unfortunately if we were to use the R5 all the way into Philly we'd end up having to use the Center City Tunnel. This would require SEPTA to either electrify all the way to Quakertown or risk the project on an unproven dual mode locomotive. With the loss of Reading Terminal our ability to run diesels is quite limited but not totally gone. Despite it's distance from Center City 30th St Station is certainly a viable option for diesel operations. Bringing this discussion back toward the original topic the Manayunk PRR Bridge and its rebuilding could be crucial to getting Reading and Quakertown trains back at a reasonable price. The trains would be able to run out the Cynwyd line, cross the Schuylkill on the Manayunk bridge, and then north of Ivy Ridge station join into the R6 Norristown for the run to Reading. At Norristown the Quakertown trains would diverge and use the Stony Creek branch to reach Lansdale and north of there these trains would serve the same stations an R5 northward extension would. A lot of work would have to be put into this line, since the Manayunk Bridge probably needs more than the cosmetic rebuild job it got to keep it from crashing onto the Schuylkill Expressway, and the 52nd St interlocking bridge likely needs heavy repair or replacement. The entire Cynwyd line needs to be double tracked and equipped with signals again. North of Ivy Ridge a scrapyard would have to be shoved off the ROW or otherwise compensated for it's property. North of there it's just a matter of building stations, adding sidings, and doing what can be done to fit SEPTA's diesels into the freight schedules.
Also, what is the city subway...is this the line near the Art Museum?
Yes that's the tunnel. The north side portal is at 27th and Pennsylvania, and the south side portal is south of the Art Musuem, just off the Schuylkill River trail. The section in which most folks are interested is the tunnel / open cut from 27th through to 13th and Noble. This is a ROW which should be easily used to get an LRV, DMU or some other rail vehicle down into Center City without having to mess with traffic until the final stages. Unfortunately the ROW is replete with incursions, which at this point I'd presume are somewhat legal. At 21st and Pennsylvania the Fresh Fields grocery store or perhaps some other group has a parking lot on the ROW under it's store. At Broad and Noble the new Board of Education Building appears to completely take over the ROW, making any use of the line down at that end quite difficult. Just west of there, between 15th and 16th I believe the GlaxoSmith Kline parking garage places it's supports on the ROW, but it may still be usable. If somehow we can clear out the BOE building, work around the supports and clean out the parking lot then we'd be in good shape for a new transit line possibly right into the center of Center City.

As for what to run in the tunnel I know there's probably several ideas. A subway might work, but as with the Broad Ridge Spur such a short line with limited expansion possibilities might be problematic. I don't see a whole lot of point to a commuter rail line there, since it misses the primary commuter terminals as well as the City center. I'd like to see SEPTA take a page from the LRT built in Porto, Portugal do something similar to that. I'd argue that a routing up the east side of Fairmount park, perhaps along 33rd St would be a good idea, as it could then work it's way over to Henry Ave and perhaps serve the northern end of Roxborough which is largely out of reach of the R6. I'd also be very interested to see the Cynwyd line turned into some form of LRT if the Reading line were electrified to Pottstown and the Bethlehem line electrified to Quakertown. At that point we'd have a much smaller need for diesel trains into 30th St Station and the need for the Ivy Ridge connector would be much decreased to the point where it could be readily turned into some form of LRT.

by PARailWiz

At Norristown the Quakertown trains would diverge and use the Stony Creek branch to reach Lansdale and north of there these trains would serve the same stations an R5 northward extension would.
Don't forget to allow for the Stony Creek Branch's limitations. Currently the rail on much of it is very old and the maximum speed is 10 MPH. Plus it is a rather winding route. I imagine the whole thing would need to be rebuilt to support passenger service at any reasonable speed.

by Matthew Mitchell

PARailWiz wrote:
Don't forget to allow for the Stony Creek Branch's limitations. Currently the rail on much of it is very old and the maximum speed is 10 MPH. Plus it is a rather winding route. I imagine the whole thing would need to be rebuilt to support passenger service at any reasonable speed.
That's a given, and in the larger scheme of things, the cost of rebuilding that track from the ground up is modest.

by whovian

And at least that particular stretch of track is still IN SERVICE, despite its state of disrepair. 10mph is better than 0mph.

by jfrey40535

Exactly whovian, its in much better shape than something like Newtown which has nothing...no rails, no crossbucks, zilch.

by Wdobner

whovian wrote:And at least that particular stretch of track is still IN SERVICE, despite its state of disrepair. 10mph is better than 0mph.
jfrey40535 wrote:Exactly whovian, its in much better shape than something like Newtown which has nothing...no rails, no crossbucks, zilch.
In some ways the Newtown line's disuse is somewhat fortunate. If SEPTA was actually set on bringing the line back and they could override the NIMBYs in the area then they could work on bringing the line back with virtually no interruption. Track could be laid, catenary could be strung, and signals could be replaced without any consideration for freight traffic along the line. Really the only real problem would be closing the roads which cross the line to replace the tracks, some interuption to the R3 to restore that crossing and whatever work would need to be done to join the Newtown line into the current Fox Chase line. To rebuild the Stony Creek Branch I'd imagine SEPTA would have to work around CSX freights using the line. They may be rare, but those freights would preclude simply closing the line to lay CWR and such.

by Matthew Mitchell

Wdobner wrote:To rebuild the Stony Creek Branch I'd imagine SEPTA would have to work around CSX freights using the line. They may be rare, but those freights would preclude simply closing the line to lay CWR and such.
Yes they'd have to deal with CSX and its freight, but that doesn't mean a temporary closure is not possible. The Stony Creek is used primarily to get high or wide cars up to Lansdale and the Bethlehem branch--most of the freight comes through Jenkintown. I could see Lansdale being embargoed for high/wide movements for a few weeks to facilitate reconstruction.

by PhillyBoy890

After all the times i've drove on I-76 and seen that bridge i always thought like the R6 or something went over that bridge...and theres no tracks...it would be great to walk on it.... :wink:

by nittany4

PhillyBoy890 wrote:After all the times i've drove on I-76 and seen that bridge i always thought like the R6 or something went over that bridge...and theres no tracks...it would be great to walk on it.... :wink:
don't say that!

they will turn it into a trail like the rest of the pennsy line to norristown and it will be gone forever!