Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by howardr142

What type of horns are used on the M7s? They seem to be much louder then those on the other Mus as well as the diesels. Are they of a different type or are they louder because the air has not been adjusted on them yet? I can hear a M7 horn from my house half a mile away. I can bearly hear a M1/3 horn more then a few hundred feet away.

by DutchRailnut

On Diesels and M1/M3 the horn has two positions, Half and Full. on M7's there is only a full blast option.
  by Head-end View

I thought I remembered someone saying a while back that the LIRR M-7's horns were going to have the half and full blast capability. They supposedly wanted to avoid the same kind of debacle they had with the loud DE/DM-30 horns when they came into service, which were later changed due to the huge public outcry. :-)

by emfinite

Anyone know where to buy actual air horns? I'd like to acquire either a 3 or 5 chime air horn for my trunk hooked to a compressor that I can put under my seat. I've seen it done before, I just don't know where to start looking for the air horn!

by mark777

The horns on the M-7's are much like everything else on the RR in being powered by air. The M-7 essentially have a sort of a handle which the engineer simply pulls it down. The intesity of the blast is all based on how far down the engineer pulls the handle down. I have blasted the horn on a number of occassions and have been able to give it a short light "toot" without blowing anyone's eardrums.

When I lasted looked under the front of the M-7, I noticed that there was a two-chime horn. They're actually quite visible on the left hand side of the front of the M-7's. I actually have worked on some that seem to have had a more melodic chime to the horn sounds, almost sounding like a 3-chime horn. It can quite possibly be a 3 chime horn with a smaller horn hidden behind the larger two horns that are visible. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure. One thing I do know is that neither the M-7's nor the M-1/ M-3's have a single horn or "honker". When I used to work for the warehouse department, I remember running into a rather large box that contained M-1/ M-3 horns. They were essentially two horns attatched to the same base. My guess on the sounds of the M-7's is that the horns are either a completely different size or type from the M-1/ M-3's.
  by N340SG

I decided to do some spelunking around under the cars in the shop to see what was there. You will be surprised at the results.

M-1 has only one horn trumpet--- a Leslie Supertyfon #44

M-3 and M-7 have the exact same setup---2 Leslie Supertyfon trumpets; one being a #31, and the other one a #44. (The #31 is the larger horn) They may sound different because of possibly different diaphragms and/or amount of air passing thru.

Parts list for M-7 horn array:

by ctaman34

i've heard the horns it sounds as loud as a boat horn