Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Frank

Are they overhauling the M3s on the LIRR at this moment? I haven't really heard anything on it yet.

by DutchRailnut

You obviously have not read many post here as it has been discussed in depth

by Frank

DutchRailnut wrote:You obviously have not read many post here as it has been discussed in depth
Well, I know that 9893-4 has been overhauled, but I haven't seen any other overhauled M3s.
  by N340SG

Aha!
I see the confusion. Frank, the 9893/894 interior is a test item. Right now, it's a one-of-a-kind. The interior test of those materials in 893/894 has nothing to do with the actual M-3 overhaul program, which continues.
I think they just did 9851/852 with the completely rebuilt trucks, inverter retrofit, and Microcab ATC retrofit. When that pair is released, you'll see the nice new components, until they get dirty within a couple of months.

The M-3 propulsion overhaul phase is in an on again / off again vacillation.
Basically, it depends on if funding can be secured. They want to (and should) do something with the propulsion.

I personally would also like them see them spend a few bucks on "P" wire generation in the M-3s. It used to be pretty reliable, but that is not the case recently. The mechanical linkages are slipping, and the P Wire Current Panels are pretty beat up.

Tom
  by N340SG

BTW, the M-3 truck overhauls had one unfortunate, unintended side effect last winter.
The support posts for the shoe fuse box are supposed to be insulated from the truck frame. The bolts have sleeves and non- conductive washers or grommets around them. However, the truck shop guys were (in a couple of instances) accidentally overtorqueing the bolts, crushing the washers and making electrical continuity between the support posts and truck frame.
Well, in one of the snowstorms we had over the winter, ice built up between the truck to buss line connection on the shoe fuse box (even though there is a boot over it) and the support post, tracked electricty down the support post, and through the [now grounded] bolts to ground. Very ugly results on a couple of M-3s. I saw one of them in HMC.
M of E is now meggering this part of all the M-3s, and redoing the insulators on the ones that are grounded. We're not anticipating having the same situation next winter. :-)

Tom
  by Frank

N340SG wrote:Aha!
I see the confusion. Frank, the 9893/894 interior is a test item. Right now, it's a one-of-a-kind. The interior test of those materials in 893/894 has nothing to do with the actual M-3 overhaul program, which continues.
I think they just did 9851/852 with the completely rebuilt trucks, inverter retrofit, and Microcab ATC retrofit. When that pair is released, you'll see the nice new components, until they get dirty within a couple of months.

The M-3 propulsion overhaul phase is in an on again / off again vacillation.
Basically, it depends on if funding can be secured. They want to (and should) do something with the propulsion.

I personally would also like them see them spend a few bucks on "P" wire generation in the M-3s. It used to be pretty reliable, but that is not the case recently. The mechanical linkages are slipping, and the P Wire Current Panels are pretty beat up.

Tom
Like upgrading the performance of the M3s? I heard they were supposed to be a little quicker than the M1s.

by N340SG

Like upgrading the performance of the M3s?
Don't count on that. Substation issues and the ability to run intermingled with M-1s while they're still around kind of preclude that.
This was detailed in an older LIRR thread, if you can find it.
It was also brought up in the MN forum recently.

Tom