• M&E Rahway Valley

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by carajul

According to the M&E web site the Rahway Valley line was activated on 6/13/05. There are photos on their site. Apparently the grade xing signals are not working and are all smashed up, so they have flagmen and police cars blocking the streets when the train passes.

http://www.merail.com/

by nick11a

Really? It's activated huh? Cool. Hopefully we can find out their schedules once they get up and running fully.

And smashed crossings? I wonder who did that? *cough* locals *cough*. :wink:

by CJPat

The M&E reactivation of the The SIRT portion of the two rail lines in Union county was done on July 13th after a couple of years in the waiting. I understand the M&E will not begin standard operations on that line between the old CNJ main and the Chemical Coast line until the NJDOT completes the repairs of the old crossing signal system across the many grade crossing. Those signals haven't really been used since the 1980's as the SIRT operation ceased. The vandalism through Roselle and Linden is not unusual considering it was over the past 20 years , ....not the best of neighborhoods.

The DOT supposedly will be upgrading the crossings to include gates that didn't exist before.

by rvrrhs

You can keep tabs on the SIRR/RVRR reactivation on the Morristown & Erie forum, http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=114.

In the meantime, the facts:

1. What used to be two separate lines, the Staten Island Railroad and the Rahway Valley Railroad, are being referred to by the Morristown & Erie as the "Rahway Valley Railroad." See http://www.merail.com/rahway_valley_rr.htm

2. The M&E has run 1 (that's 1) test train on the former SIRR portion. Two photos can be found on the M&E's homepage, http://www.merail.com/. The SIRR is not yet officially "reactivated."

3. The delay in putting the SIRR portion into regular service is, indeed, the wait for the DOT to replace old signals and install gates.

4. There is no indication that any signals or gates have been vandalized recently. These are still the old ones, which have not seen use in many years. It is not at all likely that the vandalism was part of "Stop the Train" efforts.

5. The RVRR portion has seen brush clearing, removal of old rail/ties/ballast, and even some installation of new rail/ties/ballast. That work is ongoing. All of this work is in Roselle Park, Kenilworth, and Union.

6. No work at all has been done in Springfield or Summit (except where an enterpising housepainter cleared a section of the ROW near Baltusrol Golf Course to sell parking for the just-completed PGA Championship).

by JLo

The brush clearing on the RVRR has reached Rt 22. Should be interesting when they hit the northside of 22. They won't be clearing brush, but more like fences, parked cars and above-ground pools.

by badneighbor

visitor from LI... curious, how long has this line been out of service? This type of re-activation on Long Island would cause a 'battle royale' , sort of a 'Battle of Iwo Jima' for the NIMBYs

by AndyB

The DOT supposedly will be upgrading the crossings to include gates that didn't exist before.
How does the DOT become responsible for this?

I do not believe the DOT is responsible for replacing lights and gates. I believe any crossing devices, crossbucks, lights or gates are the railroad's responsibility. The DOT may have to do a traffic impact study for the crossings, but since they are established crossings and safety crossing signs / devices were already in place (though in need of repair), I am not even sure that is necessary.

by RVRR Resurrected

well the tracks are owned by the state and or county. the dot is responsible for putting up traffic lights so one would assume they would be responsible for signals where tracks cross those roads..???

by Ken W2KB

RVRR Resurrected wrote:well the tracks are owned by the state and or county. the dot is responsible for putting up traffic lights so one would assume they would be responsible for signals where tracks cross those roads..???
Whichever entity is responsible for grade crossing protection infrastructure would presumably be contained in the contract between the County/State and the railroad. Likely it is the railroad.
  by Douglas John Bowen

NJ-ARP can't vouch for all the minutiae of this restoration project, but we have it from NJDOT itself that DOT is actively involved in the decision-making process when it comes to grade crossings, particularly future crossing protection involving Route 22.

Since DOT also manages the public-sector funding being provided for this project, it makes common sense to conclude that it would want to retain some "hands-on" control, as well, including the construction and/or installation of certain aspects of the project.

In short, the Morristown & Erie Railway, while perhaps the prime "improvement" player, is not doing this alone even on the physical level, let alone the fiscal plane.
Last edited by Douglas John Bowen on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by dave76

I noticed on Market street in Kenilworth today all new track seems to have been installed and the ROW regraded.

by Scrap The U34CH

The DOT is responsible for RR grade crossing protection.

by Ken W2KB

Scrap The U34CH wrote:The DOT is responsible for RR grade crossing protection.
Generally? Does that mean DOT maintains the part of the track circuits to actuate grade crossing signals and gates?

by cjvrr

Just a for instance. I work for Morris County, we installed a traffic signal at the intersection of John Street and Ridgedale Avenue in Morris Township. The M&E runs through the intersection and had flashers, signs, etc. at the grade crossing. The County paid for all equipment the RR needed to upgrade and coordinate with the traffic signal. The County paid for the signal too. The signal is maintained by the local gov't agency, in this case Morris Township, but the RR crossing equipment is maintained by the M&E. The State was involved with the approving the design and inspected / approved the completed project. All grade crossings must be approved by the State NJDOT (Utility and Railroad Unit)

My guess would be the County/State may be picking up the tab for the design and construction of the initial installation, but the maintenance will fall on the RR.

Chris

by Ken W2KB

cjvrr wrote:Just a for instance. I work for Morris County, we installed a traffic signal at the intersection of John Street and Ridgedale Avenue in Morris Township. The M&E runs through the intersection and had flashers, signs, etc. at the grade crossing. The County paid for all equipment the RR needed to upgrade and coordinate with the traffic signal. The County paid for the signal too. The signal is maintained by the local gov't agency, in this case Morris Township, but the RR crossing equipment is maintained by the M&E. The State was involved with the approving the design and inspected / approved the completed project. All grade crossings must be approved by the State NJDOT (Utility and Railroad Unit)

My guess would be the County/State may be picking up the tab for the design and construction of the initial installation, but the maintenance will fall on the RR.

Chris
That's what I suspected. You stated it more coherently than I did. :-)