• LV Elephants on the Erie

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by sd80mac

charlie6017 wrote:This bridge was at William Street and was the former DL&W City Branch which crossed over the far west edge of the
Erie/EL Bison Yard. This area was just east of Bailey Ave. The red dot is where it was located. On the map, the bridge
crossed from top right to lowe left. Some of the abutments are still in place today. This is just guessing, but I think this
bridge was removed in the late 1970's.

Charlie
Thanks. I was never in that area of spot when I was young. I guess it was not viewable from thruway bridge...

Too bad. I wish that I had seen this huge bridge..
  by charlie6017

I wish I did as well, but that bridge was long gone by the time I was able to drive in 1987. That DL&W
bridge might have been somewhat visible from I-90 as the thing was gargantuan, but still was quite some
distance west.

Charlie
  by JoeS

That bridge was clearly visible from I-90 as you crossed the bridge over the old Bison Yard. In fact just about any photo of the area "back in the day" will show it in the background.

Its design and size were such a departure from other bridges in the area that it immediately caught your eye.
  by sd80mac

charlie6017 wrote:I wish I did as well, but that bridge was long gone by the time I was able to drive in 1987. That DL&W
bridge might have been somewhat visible from I-90 as the thing was gargantuan, but still was quite some
distance west.

Charlie
JoeS wrote:That bridge was clearly visible from I-90 as you crossed the bridge over the old Bison Yard. In fact just about any photo of the area "back in the day" will show it in the background.

Its design and size were such a departure from other bridges in the area that it immediately caught your eye.
These 2 are the reasons why I didn't understand that I didn't see it back then...