Railroad Forums 

• LV Elephants on the Erie

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1416904  by JoeS

Great pictures! I think your guess as to the location of the overhead shots is spot on. Looking at Google maps it seems that the photos were taken on the Rt 119 overhead bridge just east of Canisteo.
 #1416915  by CPSmith

Thank you. Yes, it is Canisteo. The photos have been updated accordingly. The website allows you to search by location (should have done that to begin with...) and there are around 90 other shots in that same location. According to old USGS topo maps, that location is Carson and the bridge is (or was) known as Carson (or Carson's) bridge. Learn something new every day.
Last edited by CPSmith on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1416940  by TrainDetainer

CP -

6 of 13 is not Dalton to Swain - it's a mile or so east of Canaseraga. Only place on the Buffalo Division the grade was separated like that - to ease the climb on the old WB track. Nice pics.
 #1416973  by Matt Langworthy

Excellent shots! BTW, the location is photograph #11 is known as CP Cam on NS now.
 #1417025  by lvrr325

any idea what train this was, what routing it was using? guessing with the auto racks it's headed for points former EL somewhere.
 #1417035  by JoeS

Looking at an April 1976 Conrail freight schedule I found online it could have been BB-12 which was scheduled to arrive at Hornell at 2:15 PM.

Or it could have been a late BS-8 (Buffalo-Sayre) which was scheduled to arrive Hornell at 6:40 AM.

There is a NJ-6 listed in some places but no schedule is shown. This is a Niagara Falls-Oak Island train, maybe carrying former LV freight, but in May 1976 it is shown as running Niagara Falls-Rochester-Geneva-Corning-Waverly-Sayre so it would have bypassed Hornell.

I wonder if it was a short train, since it seems unlikely that they would have dispatched a symbol freight from Buffalo with only two C628s. But back then they did use pushers up Attica Hill so anything is possible.
 #1417175  by pumpers

TrainDetainer wrote:CP -

6 of 13 is not Dalton to Swain - it's a mile or so east of Canaseraga. Only place on the Buffalo Division the grade was separated like that - to ease the climb on the old WB track. Nice pics.
Here is a modern Google streetview from highway 70, looking south, opposite Hess Rd about a mile east of Canaseraga. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4624291 ... 64!6m1!1e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Looks like the westbound (northernmost) track is the remaining one, with the eastbound track up on the hill gone.

Great photos, thanks for posting. Jim S
 #1418344  by CPSmith

Rather than start a new thread, I'm just going to tack onto this one. I purchased a scanner a few years back and started with 60 carousels of slides (family, work, school, vacation, railroad stuff, etc.) and now I'm down to three. Here's the latest and probably the last big group for a while.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThu ... ?id=120504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun. Out of the bunch, this is my favorite:
-
 #1418612  by sd80mac

CPSmith wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I'm just going to tack onto this one. I purchased a scanner a few years back and started with 60 carousels of slides (family, work, school, vacation, railroad stuff, etc.) and now I'm down to three. Here's the latest and probably the last big group for a while.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThu ... ?id=120504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun. Out of the bunch, this is my favorite:
-
Can you pinpoint exactly where this was? When did they took down the bridge?
 #1418636  by charlie6017

sd80mac wrote:Can you pinpoint exactly where this was? When did they took down the bridge?
This bridge was at William Street and was the former DL&W City Branch which crossed over the far west edge of the
Erie/EL Bison Yard. This area was just east of Bailey Ave. The red dot is where it was located. On the map, the bridge
crossed from top right to lowe left. Some of the abutments are still in place today. This is just guessing, but I think this
bridge was removed in the late 1970's.

Charlie