• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

BMC wrote:To answer benltrain ...

There are no more "parlor cars" anymore due to the new double decker equipment. I don't know all the details, but outside of reserving a regular car there is no special service anymore nowadays (unless another poster may know of something else they do now?)
Don't they have those special C3s with the luggage racks and bars that they use for the Cannonball? I know it is not quite the same as a parlor, but that would be the modern equalivent I think.

by benltrain

this is what i am referring to, the additional price service.

any info/pics?

by Lirr168

I guess there might be pics, but everything looks the same as a regular DM trainset from the exterior. The info can be found on the MTA LIRR website under Hamptons Service or something of the sort.

by Dave Keller

And, if I remember correctly, the "new" parlors from the 1980s that had the red stripe vs the regular cars with the blue stripe ALSO were located on the east end, directly behind the locomotive.

Tradition?

Dave

by LI Loco

Here is the link for anyone interested in the Hampton Reserve service:

http://www.lirr.org/lirr/hamptonsreserv ... ervice.htm

The train that now occupies the "Cannon Ball's" slot has two cars designated for this service and they operate on the west end.

by benltrain

that page is not that informative... at least one can get on the mailing list

by LI Loco

benltrain wrote:that page is not that informative... at least one can get on the mailing list
Take it up with the railroad.

by BAR

I will be in New York next week and plan to ride the Lower Montauk. I have the eastbound leaving LIC at 4:54 PM. Does anyone know the departure time of the westbound train from Jamaica and the train number?
It may be more convenient for me to take the westbound morning train and any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
  by Ocala Mike

BAR:

I don't know the train no., but it leaves Jamaica at 8:11 am. Arrives LIC a leisurely 23 minutes later.
  by Ocala Mike

P.S.

It's Train No. 507, BAR.

by BAR

Ocala Mike,

Thanks very much. I will let you know if I am able to ride the Lower Montauk while in NY. Have ridden mostl of the LIRR but not this line and am looking forward to it.

BAR
  by SwingMan

I rode 507 last month and got an awsome cabride! :-D lirr415

by BMC

Congrats on your cab ride 415, but it is my suggestion that you keep that information to yourself in the future.

I'm sure you know that a civilian riding in an operating cab is a no-no . LIRR management reads this site, so no sense in the Engineer getting into trouble due to his genoristy.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Amen to that BMC, remember a few years ago when "Along The Track" had the story about the engineer on the greenport scoot?
I'll explain to the rest in here...
"Along The Track" is an employee newsletter, it used to have stories of interest of Railroading on the LIRR, now it is nothing more then a political correct company propaganda sheet. ( oh this month is-fill in the blank-month.)
When it still had some stories of interest, it featured the engineer on the greenport scoot, how he reported early in the morning, ran the equipment out to green port, interacted with the local farmers, etc.
There were stories of how he opened the luncheonette in greenport ( there used to be one in the station building)and had it ready for the owner, how he dropped newspapers at various locations for the locals, how he would blow the horn at certain locations to say hello to the locals, and rush to make up time on certain trains.
You guessed it...
Management downloaded the black box on the engine a few weeks later, got him for speeding (making up time) Unauthorized use of the horn (blowing to say hi to the farmers) running ahead of time in manual block territory ( getting to greenport early to open up) and other charges.
At the time, this engineer was on the top of the roster, and they almost fired him, as it was he was suspended for weeks.
So if an engineer or conductor gives you a "look behind the scenes" ok to share it in general, just dont give out too much info.

by BMC

Yes, I remember the Greenport story and that was a shame. A litle slice of old fashioned Americana and old time railroading at the same time snuffed out.

But more than once on this site you'll see posters complain about the "attitude" that some LIRR employees have towards them. The point I'm trying to make is here was an Engineer that was nice enough to take an extra step. The same way that I tried to do in the yards.

It would be a shame to se him get burned for it especially here on this site. If it happened to me, I'd have an "attitude" the next time too.