• Lowell Line collision at Woburn - 1/9

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

As far as knowing about the location of work crews, that depends on the dispatcher. Some give way too much info, some just simply say no messages and you find them as you go...

by boatsmate

According to the news report that I heard thius morning, the engineer saw something ahead of him warning of a track crew and put the train into emergency but because they where going aporx 60 mph he could not stop in time.

as for event recorders all the Engines that the MBTA has has one and it is periodicly checked to keep an eye on the engineers by the Road Foreman of Engines.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

there are pictures on NERAIL of the accident

here is one of the control car it got damage.....

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A4

by CSX Conductor

l008com wrote:Why would you want your MOW equipment to NOT trip the signaling system to show there was a train (or something) in an area of track?
It's not that the railroad doesn't want these to show up on the system, but rather that most machines are so light-weight that they often times don't shunt any circuits. Whether the machines were shunting or not isn't the big concern since the track was out of service.......the big question is why there was not a blocking device applied to keep trains from that track.

Now I'm being told it was a very new dispatcher and forgot to put a block up. :(
Last edited by CSX Conductor on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by l008com

I don't know much about the system so I don't really know what you mean. Can you go into more detail about the system?

BTW I've been hearing train horns like crazy all day. They must be working again and I take it the engineers must be a little spooked (though I suppose everyone is) and they are blowing like crazy.

by Ron Newman

The T web site says the Lowell Line is "experiencing 10-15 min delays due to earlier police action " - which I assume really means that accident investigation is ongoing and people are on the tracks.

by CSX Conductor

Here's a quick synopsis of NORAC operating rules (which are in effect o all MBCR lines except for Framingham, which is CSXT Operating Rules):

Rule 133, taking a track from service:

Before a Form D, line 4 taking a track from service is issued, a Dispatcher must:
1. Determine that the affected track is clear of other movements.
2. Controlled signals leading to the track are in Stop position.
3. Blocking devices are applied to the controls of switches and signals leading to the affected track.
4. All of the above.

The Form D, line 4 must be addressed to:
1. The employee requesting the use of the track and the operators controlling entrance to the track.
2. The employee requesting use of the track and the Chief Dispatcher.
3. The employee requesting use of the track and all trains entering the track.
4. The employee requesting the track only.

A whole mile post, a station or other physical characteristic, and a track barricade or flagman at a designated location:
1. Are used to define each end of the out-of-service limits.
2. Are put across the track to stop a train.
3. Are things you see along the tracks.
4. Are clues that you work for a railroad.

ABS, CSS, DCS, and interlocking rules:
1. Apply within the out-of-service track.
2. Do not apply within the out-of-service track.
3. Must be taken out of service by Form D, line 13.
4. Apply depending on the reason for the track being out of service.

All movements within the out-of-service track:
1. Must proceed at restricted speed.
2. Must proceed at slow speed, prepared to stop short of obstructions.
3. Must proceed not exceeding 30 mph.
4. Must proceed at yard speed not exceeding 15 mph, prepared to stop short of obstructions.

The employee in charge of the out-of-service limits:
1. Is very important.
2. Should have out-of-service insurance.
3. Can leave the area once the work has started.
4. Is the employee named in Form D, line 4.

After obtaining permission of the employee named in Form D, line 4 and he has delivered a copy of the Form D, line 4 to the person in charge of the additional equipment:
1. The Chief Dispatcher can allow additional equipment into the out-of-service limits.
2. The Trainmaster can allow additional equipment into the out-of-service limits.
3. The Road foreman can allow additional equipment into the out-of-service limits.
4. The Dispatcher can allow additional equipment into the out-of-service limits.

When the out-of-service limits are published by Bulletin Order:
1. The Form D must also have a line 13 indicating the Bulletin Order number and line.
2. A new Form D has to be issued for each piece of equipment allowed into the out-of-service limits.
3. Additional equipment can travel freely into and out of the out-of-service limits.
4. The delivery of the Form D is not required.

The employee named in the Form D, line 4 may allow additional equipment into the out-of-service limits from locations not controlled by the Dispatcher or operator:
1. With prior permission of the Chief Dispatcher.
2. By issuing a separate Form D, line 4 to that additional equipment.
3. By showing or reading his copy of the Form D, line 4 to the employee in charge of the track car or train.
4. By giving a verbal proceed signal.

When a track is returned to service, the employee in charge of the out-of-service limits must:
1. Notify the Dispatcher of any restrictions necessary for the safe passage of trains.
2. Ascertain that all track cars and trains are clear of the track and notify the Dispatcher or Operator that they are clear unless
the equipment is authorized by the Dispatcher to occupy the track after it is returned to service.
3. Pick up all his tools.
4. Promptly leave the area.
5. 1 and 2.

When a train is authorized by the Dispatcher to occupy a track after it has been returned to service:
1. The permission must include direction if governed by rule 251.
2. The permission must include direction if governed by DCS rules.
3. Must include direction if governed by rule 261.
4. Does not have to include direction unless the crew requests it.

Special Instruction 133-2 Train or Track Car within Out of Service Limits:

In the event that a train or track car is within the limits identified by the Bulletin Order as being Out of Service at the time the item becomes effective:
1. The crew must be taken out of service.
2. The Dispatcher must be taken out of service.
3. The movement must come to a stop and the Dispatcher notified.
4. None of the above.
5. All of the above.

In application of Special Instruction 133-2, the movement of the train need not stop and the Dispatcher notified if:
1. The Dispatcher has not issued a Form D, line 4, verbal permission to operate at Restricted Speed may be given.
2. The Dispatcher has not issued a Form D, line 4, verbal permission may be given to operate at normal speed.
3. The Dispatcher has not issued a Form D, line 4, verbal permission may be given to operate at 30 MPH.
4. The crew is aware of the time that the track is out of service.

In application of Special Instruction 133-2, if the Dispatcher has not issued a Form D, line 4 and he issues a Form D, line 13 canceling the B.O. item for that train:
1. The Dispatcher will be taken out of service.
2. The train crew will be taken out of service.
4. The train may continue at Restricted Speed.
4. The train may continue at normal speed.

Basically a "Block" is put on the dispatcher's computer to prevent the dispatcher from accidentally reversing the switch or lining a train into the out of service track.......for example if the dispatcher leaves his/her desk for a bathroom break and the adjoining dispatcher steps in they can't line a train into the oos track by accident if they don't know work is being done there.

by mcash

Thank you CSX

by Red Wing

Ron what you saw was up in Lowell. There was police activity at Gallagher Terminal.

by Jtgshu

CSX, i think some of what you posted about rule 133 is part of a quiz with possible answers - because many are contradictory, and not correct. However, it is a very good quiz to do, and a good refresher on OOS rules and Rule 133!! :-)

by b&m 1566

bootleg wrote:My respects go out to their love ones.

Required to setup a manual block in the work area?

Manual block means:" to have warning device and flagpersons well before the work area." Traveling through work areas have a restricted speed when entering. Commuication between the flagpersons keep the worker safe within the area. Sad that this situation continues to happen every few years on the rails.
I would have to agree, a flag person should be at least one mile down the track from the work crew just in case the dispatcher makes a mistake; which more or less happened in this case. If a mile isn't enough at least it will give the crew up a head a chance to get out of harms way.

By the way I was informed a little while ago that one of the two individuals severely injured in the accident is not expected to make it. I hope thery're wrong.

by MBTA3247

Just got back from examining the damage to 1644. The underbody below the cab is completely ruined, similar to the damage on 1710. The front of the cab is mostly undamaged, except for the ditchlight on the fireman's side. Also on that side, one of the windows towards the rear was popped out of its frame. Otherwise, there is little damage to the carbody. There's also a tire track that stretches from the middle of 1644 along much of the side of the train.

The whole trainset has been removed from service. All of the doors are or were sealed with yellow police tape. Presumably the cars except 1644 will by inspected/investigated quickly and released back into service after a trip through the car wash.

My sympathies go out to the families of the people killed in the accident - and to the engineer of the train. That must have been a horrible experience. :(

by Robert Paniagua

Hopefully they'll be able to replace the underbody and replace the fireman's side ditchlight of 1644, hopefully that control car and 1710 will see civilian customers again.

I also feel terrible especially the locomotive engineer who took the train. If only they had this train in the outbound track, then it would have been a different outcome.

by AEM7AC920

1710 histiory as far as seeing people again..