• Los Angeles Metrolink - fatal derailment

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by The S.P. Caboose

All I know at this point is there are 10 deaths and a lot more injuries. 50 people on the head end of this tragedy where taken to area hospitals. I'm not sure how many crew members where injured or killed. The man who was in sucide mote has been charged with ten counts of murder and yes he was arrested. He has a history of attempted sucide and drug problems. In this area in south of were the coastline and Saugas line (Burbank Junction to Palmdale Junction) split is. It's north of the old Southern Pacific Taylor Yard. SP used to change crews at the top end of A Yard at Fletcher Drive.

by Otto Vondrak

The vehicle was left parked on the tracks by a fellow who was bent on committing suicide, who, I guess, had a change of heart (the articles do not say at this time). He is currently being held by authorities and has been charged.

This is a very tragic and emotionally charged story. I request that we keep our comments on-topic and polite, and away from what we all think ought to be done to the fellow who put many others in harm.

-otto-

by jeff29992001

charged with multiple counts of manslaughter.. the police are repeating the fact that a sheriff's deputy on the train was killed hoping to elicit sympathy from any grand jury hearing the charges.

by downbeat

Here's a very good graphic describing the incident, courtesy of BBC News:

The caption reads:
- The crash involved two double-decker Metrolink commuter trains (1&2) one heading south into LA Union Station, the other heading out. It is unclear which is which at this stage.
- Police said one of the commuter trains hit a car parked on the tracks and then "side-swiped" the other train.
- Commuter train 2 struck a stationary freight train (3) which was parked overnight on a spare track.
Credit:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4209619.stm

by AmtrakFan

OH My God!!!!!!!!! This is tragic my Thoughts and prayers go out to the People effected. This is like Bourbinas, IL in 1999 brought me back bad memories I was not on it but I was sick that week so I was at home watching all the news things. I am sorry to report that the Metrolink Engineer has died as well the 2 UP crew Members.

John

by Otto Vondrak

From the L.A. Times:

by Lucius Kwok

It's an awful and senseless tragedy. I can't help thinking of the "what ifs" -- what if someone had seen the car on the tracks and notified the authorities? What if the UP train wasn't on the side track, and what if the second Metrolink train didn't happen to come through in the other direction just at the same time? Many grade crossing accidents between trains and cars, busues, and trucks happen every year, but the train usually comes out with much less damage than this.

by railfanofewu

It is sad that this wreck had to happen, and I hope that some improvements are made. Cities, Counties, States, Transit Authorities, Federal Government, and especially the railroads get together to eliminated Grade Crossings in Urban areas, to try to prevent this from happening again.

by camster202

Cosmo, you hit it right on the nose. NBC Nightly News has reported that the UP engines were light and that the man changed his mind to commit suicide the last minute. But, out of respect, I won't go into detail about what should happen... It was also reported he slashed his wrist at the same time.

I can't believe it. This is just a horrible accident that could have been prevented. I agree that OL should now get the respect and the support that they've been deserving since the beginning.

As always, with the news media, the above information can and most likely will change.

by Ron Newman

Not to be disagreeable, but ... how could this accident have been prevented?

Operation Lifesaver won't reach people who don't value saving their own lives.

by glennk419

The hows, whys and what if's will be left up to the experts.

For now, my prayers and condolenses go out to all of the victims and their families.

by AmtrakFan

Well Amtrak is getting out of the Contract this summer due to loosely written liablitiy. Dave Gunn was smart to get out of it.

John

by railfanofewu

Were any of the cars on any of the two trains the ones that Metrolink is leasing from Sound Transit?(Just wanted to know)

by ryanov

AmtrakFan wrote:OH My God!!!!!!!!! This is tragic my Thoughts and prayers go out to the People effected. This is like Bourbinas, IL in 1999 brought me back bad memories I was not on it but I was sick that week so I was at home watching all the news things. I am sorry to report that the Metrolink Engineer has died as well the 2 UP crew Members.
The UP engines were unmanned...

by Fred Stacey

Ron Newman wrote:Not to be disagreeable, but ... how could this accident have been prevented?

Operation Lifesaver won't reach people who don't value saving their own lives.
Well, if the lunatick driver of the SUV didn't drive and park on the tracks then this whole thing wouldn't have happened in the first place.

I only wish the the would be suicidal motorist had changed his mind A LOT earlier and not even gone to the tracks at all, at least park his SUV trackside.