Railroad Forums 

• Los Angeles Metrolink - fatal derailment

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#92290  by Otto Vondrak

I again ask that we refrain commenting on the individual who caused this accident and what we think should happen to him.

-otto-

#92319  by pdxstreetcar

Sorry for the confusion :-)...
I just wanted to point out that I didnt say this derailment was an act of terrorism but rather that the horrific nature of it was "almost bordering on terrorism" due to the individual's disregard for innocent human life and was premeditated.

#92331  by Robert Paniagua

Now as a result of this latest train wreck involving a lead car, many people will be afraid to ride in such a car, because it will have more impact on people rather than a locomotive. For example, Metro-North has many MU trains that run with no locomotive, obviously. So that even increases the chance of passenger fatalities should an automobile be parked on Metro-North Trackage, mainly on the new Haven and the other east-of-Hudson routes. Those lines have either three or four tracks which have a similar pattern layout to the Metro-Link ROW in Glendale where the crash happend.

Although I must note, that in MNRR territory, most of them (especially the New Haven Line have no grade crossings, but private access roads for Crew-trucks and MOW vehicles to get on to the tracks for maintenance purposes.

#92340  by NellsChoo

I am a bit confused as to how a big UP engine could be knocked over like that. Also, hard to believe the "luck" of three trains being involved! Another question, what was the visibility in the area? By that I mean was the car parked on a straight stretch of track, or a curve? Would the train have had time to stop before impact? How fast do they usually travel?

#92364  by The S.P. Caboose

NellsChoo wrote:I am a bit confused as to how a big UP engine could be knocked over like that. Also, hard to believe the "luck" of three trains being involved! Another question, what was the visibility in the area? By that I mean was the car parked on a straight stretch of track, or a curve? Would the train have had time to stop before impact? How fast do they usually travel?
To answer in part, it was still dark at the time of the accident, however it was a clear morning. The train had pushed the SUV about a quarter of a mile. It's in a pretty straight area track wise. From what I've been hearing, there wasn't anything the engineer could had done to stop in time. The southbound (train with engine pushing) was traveling about 40mph, about average speed in this location.

#92427  by SRS125

most likley the Speed and force of the 2 Metro trains slaming into each outher pushed the UP Loco over. The UP engion its self I'm gussing is in the range of 140-170 tons alone don't know for sure its only a guess. But it sure dose give an idea of how hard and how much force was invaloved when the outher 2 trains crashed at speed.

#92486  by Jtgshu

In regard to how a "little truck" can derail a "big train" its quite simple.....

Lots of yards use "chocks" which are usually wooden (sometimes metal though) wedges placed on a rail, to prevent a stopped train from rolling. They usually weigh no more than about 5 pounds - the wooden ones, and are shoved between the rail and the wheel. Its sole purpose is to keep the train from rolling. Of course, this is done while the train is stopped, but still the same concept applies to what happened in this accident.

The Grand Cherokee is very light in compared to the train, but still has some heavy and sturdy compenents, namely the engine block, made of cast iron. while the train was hitting the vehicle, im assuming he pulled head first onto teh tracks, so the front of his truck would be facing the front of the train, the front of the vehicle would be crushed and shoved backwards. I never saw anythign about a switch being involved, but it would make sense, if one was. Probably, if there was no switch adn if the vehicle hit no obstructions (rail from a switch, grade xing, a bridge guide rails, etc) there is a good chance that the train might not have derailed. But as the car was sliding backwards, and wedged under the pilot of the train, its rear wheels and undercarrage hit the diverging rail of the switch, and crushed the car even more, and the heavy engine in the car or other parts of the car (wheels, axles, driveshaft, etc) probaby got wedged enough under the pilot or wheel or anything to kick the cab car off the rails.

The rest, as they say, is history.....
Last edited by Jtgshu on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#92513  by NellsChoo

That is like a train accident I saw on TV. The show was looking at how it could have happened, and showed things in reverse order, showing how details lead up to the actual accident. I think it was in Germany, and a wheel shoe peeled off a wheel hub, shooting into one car full of people. It got dragged at high speed down the track, and once the train went over a switch (or similar device), everything started to go downhill.

So, yes, maybe if the train stayed on straight track with no switches, they could have stopped. The oncoming train may still have hit a part of the Jeep, but it probably would have just fragmented.

JD

#92521  by jg greenwood

SRS125 wrote:most likley the Speed and force of the 2 Metro trains slaming into each outher pushed the UP Loco over. The UP engion its self I'm gussing is in the range of 140-170 tons alone don't know for sure its only a guess. But it sure dose give an idea of how hard and how much force was invaloved when the outher 2 trains crashed at speed.
In the neighborhood of 207-tons.

#99593  by NellsChoo

I just heard that a local news broadcast said officials now know the Jeep was doused with gasoline before the collision. I am trying to find info online while at work. Anyone else hear this?

#99673  by N.Y. State Of Mind

Yes, and also that he only slashed his wrists to make it look like a suicide attempt.